News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Crazy Uncle Milton's Shot Blasting Sploogefest Emporium  ( 138,696 )

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Crazy Uncle Milton's Shot Blasting Sploogefest Emporium
« Reply #900 on: December 18, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on December 18, 2009, 02:52:26 PM
To the "this is better than DFA" crowd:

Consider this, had the Cubs traded Bradley for a bucket of feces...and had to eat $16M of his remaining $22M as a condition, you are in the exact same place assuming (as you should) that Silva's worthless on the field.  

To me, December 18th is a bit too early in the game to have to come to this conclusion.

I don't get your logic?  DFAing him is eating $21 million (minus league minimum
times 2 if someone picks him up) is not the same as trading him for nothing and
saving ~$5 million.  Sure, Silva is a piece of shit, but he's a $5 million cheaper PoS
(for the Cubs, anyways)

I'd rather they just kept Bradley because whatever % chance he manages to rake
again next year is the only % that this situation ends up a positive.  However, the
Cubs managed to not only kill his trade value by letting teams know they would
dump him no matter what, but they also helped turn the 'tard-swarm of the
Cubbies flock so far against him they absolutely had to get rid of him from a PR stance.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #901 on: December 18, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »
Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2009, 03:07:00 PM
So you guys all thought there was a chance they'd end up keeping Milton? Really?

Why you think that was something outside the realm of possibility? You root for the Cubs to win a World Series every year. Think that's ever going to happen? Really?

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #902 on: December 18, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on December 18, 2009, 03:09:16 PM
So you guys all thought there was a chance they'd end up keeping Milton? Really?

Why you think that was something outside the realm of possibility? You root for the Cubs to win a World Series every year. Think that's ever going to happen? Really?

I do think it was outside the realm of possibility. Keeping him was probably the smart thing do to. Not destroying his trade value in the first place was the smart thing to do. Why would I think the Cubs would do the smart thing? As long as they DFA Silva, then I'll take this. But my standards are really low.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #903 on: December 18, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2009, 03:14:02 PM

I do think it was outside the realm of possibility. Keeping him was probably the smart thing do to. Not destroying his trade value in the first place was the smart thing to do. Why would I think the Cubs would do the smart thing? As long as they DFA Silva, then I'll take this. But my standards are really low.

I'm pissed off about the whole cycle. Hendry really just fucked this whole organization right up over the last year and this was the coup de grace.

I'm slowly getting over it. The Cubs stink. I don't know why I'm surprised that everything they do is fucking clown shoes.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #904 on: December 18, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »

Why do you think they would they DFA Silva and eat $15M when they weren't willing to trade Bradley for Burrell and pay the $10M difference?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #905 on: December 18, 2009, 03:23:53 PM »
From my 15 year old daughter;
"I don't care, it's Christmas. And the Cubs suck anyway."

As for me, I'm going to get drunk and watch the Hawks this weekend and pretend this trade never happened.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #906 on: December 18, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 18, 2009, 03:21:27 PM
Why do you think they would they DFA Silva and eat $15M when they weren't willing to trade Bradley for Burrell and pay the $10M difference?

I don't expect them to DFA him, I expect them to David Patton him.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #907 on: December 18, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »

Well that would have been a better move. Was that an option? I haven't been paying attention to be honest.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #908 on: December 18, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »
Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2009, 03:31:53 PM

Well that would have been a better move. Was that an option? I haven't been paying attention to be honest.

Supposedly, but the Cubs didn't want to pay all of Milton's salary for 2011.  Eh, screw it, I don't care anymore.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #909 on: December 18, 2009, 03:47:13 PM »
Quote from: Pre on December 18, 2009, 03:25:32 PM

I fully expect him to start 25 games.  Whenever the media gets a hold of Hendry, we're going to see quotes from him about how Silva is a guy who "has had success" in the past and is an "innings eater."  Then he'll talk about how he thinks Silva is the kind of guy who will benefits from a move to the National League and Wrigley and they're really excited to have him.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #910 on: December 18, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2009, 03:31:53 PM

From most accounts, it was. Part of my anger is clearly my desire to have Milton Bradley still in Chicago. Another part of it is the fact that the Cubs, once again, just decided to become an even worse team than when they ended the season. I guess there's Marlon Byrd, but he doesn't excite me all that much. He had a nice offensive season last year. There's that. They missed out on Cameron. If they want to sign a starter, there's basically only Piniero out there. Slak had it right when he said that no one hates this team more than us. I hate this team because 2 years ago I thought they were going to be very good for a few years. As it sits now, this team is a sub-.500 team. Trading MB for Silva just further affirms that.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #911 on: December 18, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »

I'm just shocked Hendry didn't deal him for a 5' 8' middle infielder who can't hit.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #912 on: December 18, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 18, 2009, 03:47:13 PM

I fully expect him to start 25 games.  Whenever the media gets a hold of Hendry, we're going to see quotes from him about how Silva is a guy who "has had success" in the past and is an "innings eater."  Then he'll talk about how he thinks Silva is the kind of guy who will benefits from a move to the National League and Wrigley and they're really excited to have him.

Somehow I convinced myself he wasn't going to pitch, but you're probably right. Now I'm getting angry.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #913 on: December 18, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »
Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2009, 03:53:24 PM

Somehow I convinced myself he wasn't going to pitch, but you're probably right. Now I'm getting angry.

Join the club. I swear I almost had a stroke after I heard this news.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #914 on: December 18, 2009, 04:05:01 PM »
Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2009, 03:53:24 PM

Dude looks like he's eating a lot more than innings. He's going to beat up Fontenot and take his meal money when they're on the road.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."