News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,917 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #645 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:40 AM »
Do we hate Gregg more for blowing another game, or for giving Kaplan a reason to feel smug?
M'lady.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #646 on: August 18, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »
I was semi-defending Gregg for a while, but now? Have at it.

When I went to sleep, it was 1-0 Cubs. Got up this morning and saw the 4-1 final. Said "Fuck me", but no one was around. I hate baseball.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #647 on: August 18, 2009, 08:31:53 AM »
I haven't caught up yet this morning, but I sure hope elsewhere on the board the completely shitty offense is also being discussed.
Hire Jim Essian!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #648 on: August 18, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 18, 2009, 08:31:53 AM
I haven't caught up yet this morning, but I sure hope elsewhere on the board the completely shitty offense is also being discussed.

This offense couldn't hit its way out of a Jerry Springer taping. There, ya happy?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #649 on: August 18, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
It's not.  It's all Kevin Gregg hate.  What a waste.  We have more hate than Kevin Gregg deserves.  Directing a large portion of it at Milton Bradley, Aaron Miles and Mike Fontenot would we a decent form of release.

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #650 on: August 18, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 18, 2009, 08:38:00 AM
It's not.  It's all Kevin Gregg hate.  What a waste.  We have more hate than Kevin Gregg deserves.  Directing a large portion of it at Milton Bradley, Aaron Miles and Mike Fontenot would we a decent form of release.

When do we start hating on the GM who signed these three fuck-ups to begin with?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #651 on: August 18, 2009, 08:58:08 AM »
Quote from: Ghost of Dave Rosello on August 18, 2009, 08:54:36 AM

When do we start hating on the GM who signed these three fuck-ups to begin with?
Three years ago.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #652 on: August 18, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 18, 2009, 08:58:08 AM

Three years ago.

I wonder how many versions of InternetChuck "vindication" we'll get to read the next couple months. I can't wait to find out!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #653 on: August 18, 2009, 09:12:31 AM »
Directing a large portion of it at Milton Bradley, Aaron Miles and Mike Fontenot would we a decent form of release.

One of these things is not like the other.

Besides height.  And skin color.

Uh, what I mean is, is that, you know, Milton Bradley is actually pretty good at baseball.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #654 on: August 18, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 18, 2009, 09:10:03 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 18, 2009, 08:58:08 AM

Three years ago.

I wonder how many versions of InternetChuck "vindication" we'll get to read the next couple months. I can't wait to find out!
Let me know where you see them.  I'm gonna start a scrapbook.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #655 on: August 18, 2009, 09:32:35 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 18, 2009, 09:12:31 AM
Directing a large portion of it at Milton Bradley, Aaron Miles and Mike Fontenot would we a decent form of release.

Uh, what I mean is, is that, you know, Milton Bradley is actually pretty good at baseball.

Yeah, well how many times did we see how "good" he was at baseball this season.

Fuck Milton Bradley. This season was fucked from the time Hendry signed him. Any of the other options (Abreu, Dunn, Ibanez in alphabetical order) would have been better. Bradley was a bust from SpringTraining when he got hurt in the first game.

I'm sure you're defending him because of his high OBP. Big fuckin' deal. We should've seen it coming when he got ejected from a game argiung a strike call. Instead of swinging at a close pitch with a 3-1 count and the bases loaded to drive in runs, he'd rather spin in and take a walk. I saw it too many times this year. More concerned about drawing a walk. It did wonders for his batting average and RBI, didn't it?

You want to see "pretty good at baseball"? Take a look at Ibanez and Abreu's numbers, and where their teams are in the standings. Then look at all of the shit we had to put up with Bradley this season and where the Cubs are. 
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #656 on: August 18, 2009, 09:42:14 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on August 18, 2009, 09:32:35 AM

Fuck Milton Bradley. This season was fucked from the time Hendry signed him. Any of the other options (Abreu, Dunn, Ibanez in alphabetical order) would have been better. Bradley was a bust from SpringTraining when he got hurt in the first game.

I'm sure you're defending him because of his high OBP. Big fuckin' deal. We should've seen it coming when he got ejected from a game argiung a strike call. Instead of swinging at a close pitch with a 3-1 count and the bases loaded to drive in runs, he'd rather spin in and take a walk. I saw it too many times this year. More concerned about drawing a walk. It did wonders for his batting average and RBI, didn't it?

You want to see "pretty good at baseball"? Take a look at Ibanez and Abreu's numbers, and where their teams are in the standings. Then look at all of the shit we had to put up with Bradley this season and where the Cubs are. 

I really don't think it's fair to include Ibanez on the list of guys Hendry should have gotten over Bradley.  Abreu is doing about what was expected of him, so there's an argument to be made there, but I highly doubt anyone saw this coming from Ibanez.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #657 on: August 18, 2009, 09:48:31 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 18, 2009, 09:42:14 AM

I really don't think it's fair to include Ibanez on the list of guys Hendry should have gotten over Bradley.  Abreu is doing about what was expected of him, so there's an argument to be made there, but I highly doubt anyone saw this coming from Ibanez.

Agreed.  Dunn would still have been a good add, but he would, somehow, have made our outfield defense even worse than it is now.  Ibanez is a decent hitter, but nobody could have expected this from him.  Not to mention, he hasn't done much of anything since coming off the DL.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #658 on: August 18, 2009, 09:48:43 AM »
Instead of swinging at a close pitch with a 3-1 count and the bases loaded to drive in runs, he'd rather spin in and take a walk. I saw it too many times this year. More concerned about drawing a walk. It did wonders for his batting average and RBI, didn't it?

If you're at the plate with the bases loaded and a 3-1 count, you shouldn't be looking at "swing at anything close."  A hitter should look for a ball in a certain spot and if the pitch isn't there, take it.  A walk means an RBI in that spot.  Swinging at "something close" usually results in an out.

And batting average?  Who cares?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #659 on: August 18, 2009, 09:49:43 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 18, 2009, 09:42:14 AM

Probably his growth dealer saw it coming.
M'lady.