News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 100 Foot Journey  ( 2,307 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
100 Foot Journey
« on: August 10, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »
This movie is a must for foodies.  Don't go to see it if you are hungry.  It is predictable, but you would be disappointed if it wasn't.  The plot is about a haughty, nasty Frenchwoman played by Helen Mirren, who runs a one star restaurant in the south of France who is offended when an Indian family (with Muslim names) opens an ethnic restaurant across the street.  It is an East meets West story featuring the talented son of the Indian family who goes on to fame and fortune.  (The young Indian star is the focus of a story is featured in an article in today's Sunday Times.)   Notwithstanding its predictability, it is one of the best movies about food that I have seen.  This "food" craze is a phenomenon that leaves me kind of cold.   I remember cooking shows on black and white TV in the late '40s and early '50s.  You knew that they were local place takers until the station could get a kinescope feed of a network show.  Now there are two national food oriented networks that I am aware of.  Food shows occupy a major place in PBS.  There are "how to" shows; restaurant review shows; failed restaurant reality shows; cooking contest shows;  travel food shows.  Chefs are celebrities.  Food critics are celebrities.  Future generations are going to label us as gluttons and assume that our appetites were the reason for the fall of our civilization. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: 100 Foot Journey
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 10, 2014, 01:17:42 PM
Chefs are celebrities.  Food critics are celebrities.  Future generations are going to label us as gluttons and assume that our appetites were the reason for the fall of our civilization. 

I'd like to thank myself for playing a role in the downfall of society.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:17:01 AM »
Pretty rich for a lawyer to accuse glorifying chefs for the downfall of society...
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 11, 2014, 08:17:01 AM
Pretty rich for a lawyer to accuse glorifying chefs for the downfall of society...

Can you imagine a world without lawyers?

(shudders)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 11, 2014, 11:16:40 AM

(shudders)

Just a world filled with Gils?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
Quote from: Fork on August 11, 2014, 11:21:22 AM

(shudders)

Just think of the glorious forms completed in triplicate in a planet where Gil's evolved from Man.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 11, 2014, 11:45:19 AM

(shudders)

Just think of the glorious forms completed in triplicate in a planet where Gil's evolved from Man.
If society followed Shakespeare's mandate and killed all the lawyers, the following week there would be just as many lawyers filing wrongful death actions.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:02:31 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 11, 2014, 06:44:44 PM
Quote from: Bort on August 11, 2014, 11:45:19 AM

(shudders)

If society followed Shakespeare's mandate and killed all the lawyers, the following week there would be just as many lawyers filing wrongful death actions.

That would just be round two.