News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The "Jason Heyward Drinks Delicious Cardinal Tears" Sploogetime Thread  ( 40,143 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The "Jason Heyward Drinks Delicious Cardinal Tears" Sploogetime Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2016, 07:38:59 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 21, 2016, 07:35:54 AM
Nobody will defend his bat, but let's not forget his momentum-killing throw-out at home in Game 4 that occurred before the Cubs bats came alive. The Dodgers might've had a very different inning, and game, had that out not occurred.

Except he weirdly took forever to get rid of the ball and Gonzalez was probably almost safe. But yes, his defense is obviously good. It just doesn't nearly make up for him being an automatic out at this point.

Joe is being stubborn about this.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2016, 07:38:59 AM
Nobody will defend his bat, but let's not forget his momentum-killing throw-out at home in Game 4 that occurred before the Cubs bats came alive. The Dodgers might've had a very different inning, and game, had that out not occurred.

Except he weirdly took forever to get rid of the ball and Gonzalez was probably almost safe. But yes, his defense is obviously good. It just doesn't nearly make up for him being an automatic out at this point.

He's probably doing it just to troll SKO at this point.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2016, 07:55:58 AM »

I suspect that Soler trying to take out Fowler hasn't made it easier for Joe to revise his lineup. I agree, though. Heyward needs to bat 9th or sit, and he needs some intensive hitting re-training this winter. But I love how incredible the Cubs defense is, and as long as the offense has come alive I can't feel TOO upset about Heyward. I hope he sits tomorrow, though.
M'lady.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »

That play still bugs me. He took so long that I thought I was wrong about where the runners were. I thought maybe Gonzalez made it to third at some point but I missed it.

There's no way Joe can play him against a lefty. If he needs and excuse to sit him, then there it is. He's no more than a defensive replacement at this point... assuming he can remember to throw the ball quickly.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2016, 08:54:41 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 21, 2016, 07:55:58 AM

I suspect that Soler trying to take out Fowler hasn't made it easier for Joe to revise his lineup. I agree, though. Heyward needs to bat 9th or sit, and he needs some intensive hitting re-training this winter. But I love how incredible the Cubs defense is, and as long as the offense has come alive I can't feel TOO upset about Heyward. I hope he sits tomorrow, though.

My ideal OF alignment against LHP (especially in Wrigley) would be Contreras/Fowler/Zobrist and Contreras/Fowler/Almora (when Contreras is catching).

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 21, 2016, 08:54:41 AM

My ideal OF alignment against LHP (especially in Wrigley) would be Contreras/Fowler/Zobrist and Contreras/Fowler/Almora (when Contreras is catching).

I know Willson's a good athlete but I feel like this is asking a bit much of him.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2016, 08:24:18 AM

That play still bugs me. He took so long that I thought I was wrong about where the runners were. I thought maybe Gonzalez made it to third at some point but I missed it.

There's no way Joe can play him against a lefty. If he needs and excuse to sit him, then there it is. He's no more than a defensive replacement at this point... assuming he can remember to throw the ball quickly.

Yeah I'd rather see Almora bat at this point than Heyward--you might lose a tic of defense in right, but not so much that it should matter.  Almora's a pretty damn good outfielder already.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
DPD.  And it should go without saying that Contreras being in the lineup for all non-Ross games is a moral imperative, and that every effort needs to be made to get him in for the (theoretical) next Ross game.  He and Baez' bats have both saved this team's ass multiple times in these playoffs.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
While Heyward stands absolutely no chance of doing anything offensively productive against Kershaw tomorrow, I think his contribution to run prevention in what could very well be another 1-0 game makes up for him being the offensive equivalent of a blind man with a Wiffle bat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 21, 2016, 10:06:28 AM

Yeah I'd rather see Almora bat at this point than Heyward--you might lose a tic of defense in right, but not so much that it should matter.  Almora's a pretty damn good outfielder already.

Maybe I'm just a bad fan and haven't paid attention when he's shown it earlier this season, but how is Almora's arm? I think from a range perspective Almora is just as good (or better) than Heyward, but conceivably Heyward's got the better arm. Except of course for plays like the Gonzalez one where he took his sweet damn time before lollypopping one in to Contreras.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2016, 10:23:10 AM »

I'm annoyingly on the record as being an Almora skeptic re: his bat, but I completely agree that I'd trust him at the plate over Heyward right now.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: October 21, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2016, 10:23:10 AM

I'm annoyingly on the record as being an Almora skeptic re: his bat, but I completely agree that I'd trust him at the plate over Heyward right now.

I could easily be talked into Jake or Travis Wood at the plate over Heyward right now as well. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: October 21, 2016, 10:35:08 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 21, 2016, 10:12:04 AM
DPD.  And it should go without saying that Contreras being in the lineup for all non-Ross games is a moral imperative, and that every effort needs to be made to get him in for the (theoretical) next Ross game.  He and Baez' bats have both saved this team's ass multiple times in these playoffs.

One counterpoint to consider: I don't have a link to the article, but I read something on runs saved by pitch framing and two of the better catchers in the game at this ability are Ross and Montero. I believe they both average about .25-.33 runs saved per 100 pitches. Contreras has a huge amount of talent, but he's not there yet. Maybe that amount is too small a consideration when deciding who catches, but it's something I think about whenever Maddon trots out a different catcher.
M'lady.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2016, 09:34:28 AM

My ideal OF alignment against LHP (especially in Wrigley) would be Contreras/Fowler/Zobrist and Almora/Fowler/Zobrist (when Contreras is catching).

I know Willson's a good athlete but I feel like this is asking a bit much of him.

Fixed.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: October 22, 2016, 02:53:31 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 21, 2016, 10:55:48 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2016, 09:34:28 AM

My ideal OF alignment against LHP (especially in Wrigley) would be Contreras/Fowler/Zobrist and Almora/Fowler/Zobrist (when Contreras is catching).

Fixed.

Makes more sense to put Almora in RF with all the LHH. Two thumbs up.