News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: On the demise of WGN  ( 5,296 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: On the demise of WGN
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »
Jestink is terrible.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
Chuck is (gasp) right about the best way for the Tribune and the Cubs to create a "Cubs network" is to dump WGN America and make that the network.  It's already in millions of homes around the country, but most importantly is that it has existing deals with both satellite companies and all of the relevant regional cable operators.  It's a lot easier to renegotiate an existing fee than to create a new deal.  Fox is doing it with Speed and and Fuel TV, converting them to Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2.  I have no idea where the Tribune would get the cash to pay for the rights, and they'd probably need a partner.  Media giants hate each other, but they've been known to act cooperative when there are billions of dollars at stake.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »
Quote from: Andy on February 21, 2013, 01:02:27 PM
Chuck is (gasp) right about the best way for the Tribune and the Cubs to create a "Cubs network" is to dump WGN America and make that the network.  It's already in millions of homes around the country, but most importantly is that it has existing deals with both satellite companies and all of the relevant regional cable operators.  It's a lot easier to renegotiate an existing fee than to create a new deal.  Fox is doing it with Speed and and Fuel TV, converting them to Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2.  I have no idea where the Tribune would get the cash to pay for the rights, and they'd probably need a partner.  Media giants hate each other, but they've been known to act cooperative when there are billions of dollars at stake.

Shut up, Paul. You're a douche.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »
Quote from: Andy on February 21, 2013, 01:02:27 PM
Looks like they are in 75 million homes at $0.19 per subscriber.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12-09/business/ct-biz-1209-tribune-wgn-20121209_1_wgn-america-snl-kagan-peter-liguori

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 11:32:15 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 19, 2013, 12:03:41 PM
Quote from: RedBeard on February 19, 2013, 10:49:40 AM
Heh... Harp seal.

I do have a good view - but reliable internet connection is a bitch here. WildBlue isn't going to cut it for video streaming. I also agree that it is 2013 - and you would think that everywhere would be connected by now - however, I've noticed that in the little shithole community I've been in for the past four years that it has been 1955 since 1936.

Satellite Internet...ho-lee crap.  

The only times I've had to deal with that is in RVs in the middle of nowhere.  

I think streaming the Cubs is probably the least of your problems.

That said...welcome back.

I am shocked that nobody said "HAARP seal."
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!