News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2012 Chicago Cubs  ( 86,464 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2012 Chicago Cubs
« Reply #585 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »
During the telecast on MLB baseball on Saturday Joe Buck said that Cub fans were going to have to wait 5 years to be competitive, Tim McCarver said that it was going to be longer than five years.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #586 on: June 18, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 18, 2012, 11:56:45 AM
During the telecast on MLB baseball on Saturday Joe Buck said that Cub fans were going to have to wait 5 years to be competitive, Tim McCarver said that it was going to be longer than five years.

They've seen David Stern's script, written by Vince McMahon.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #587 on: June 18, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »

I remember watching the Bears play the 49ers in 2000 and Fox had sent their No. 1 team to cover it. Terrell Owens had about 75 receptions that game and Jerry Rice was playing in his last home game. Cade McKnown also played in this game completing maybe 3 passes. Both teams were finishing bad seasons.

At some point, John Madden chortled: "You know, the 49ers, I can see them getting good again sometime soon. The Bears, I just don't know when they'll be a good team again."

The Bears were 13-3 the following season.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #588 on: June 18, 2012, 12:20:29 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 18, 2012, 12:14:25 PM

I remember watching the Bears play the 49ers in 2000 and Fox had sent their No. 1 team to cover it. Terrell Owens had about 75 receptions that game and Jerry Rice was playing in his last home game. Cade McKnown also played in this game completing maybe 3 passes. Both teams were finishing bad seasons.

At some point, John Madden chortled: "You know, the 49ers, I can see them getting good again sometime soon. The Bears, I just don't know when they'll be a good team again."

Owens set the record with 20 receptions. Since broken by some guy named Brandon Marshall. McNown was 9 of 29 and was so bad in practice that he caused the mutiny against him the next week, resulting in Matthews starting against Detroit. Huey will say "but I thought McNown started against Detroit because he knocked them outta the playoffs!" but that was when McNown came in late after Matthews got hurt. Also, the 2001 Bears were the biggest fluke I've ever seen but I'd definitely take a flukey 85-90 win season from an undeserving Cubs squad next year in a similar manner.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #589 on: June 18, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 18, 2012, 12:20:29 PM

Owens set the reord with 20 receptions. Since broken by some guy named Brandon Marshall. McNown was 9 of 29 and was so bad in practice that he caused the mutiny against him the next week, resulting in Matthews starting against Detroit. Huey will say "but I thought McNown started against Detroit because he knocked them outta the playoffs!" but that was when McNown came in late after Matthews got hurt.

Also, didn't the Bears basically announce they were going to roll their coverage to Jerry Rice to prevent HIM from setting some record at the time?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #590 on: June 18, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »

Owens set the record with 20 receptions. Since broken by some guy named Brandon Marshall. McNown was 9 of 29 and was so bad in practice that he caused the mutiny against him the next week, resulting in Matthews starting against Detroit. Huey will say "but I thought McNown started against Detroit because he knocked them outta the playoffs!" but that was when McNown came in late after Matthews got hurt. Also, the 2001 Bears were the biggest fluke I've ever seen but I'd definitely take a flukey 85-90 win season from an undeserving Cubs squad next year in a similar manner.

But.. fast-forward five years from that 2000 game. The Bears were finishing an 11-5 season with Kyle Orton under center. So, yes, the Bears went from bad to really good to bad to really good again. It could happen to the Cubs. Look at 1984-1989 or 1998-2003 or 2003-2008.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #591 on: June 18, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 18, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

But.. fast-forward five years from that 2000 game. The Bears were finishing an 11-5 season with Kyle Orton under center. So, yes, the Bears went from bad to really good to bad to really good again. It could happen to the Cubs. Look at 1984-1989 or 1998-2003 or 2003-2008.

Let's hope for nothing like any of the above-mentioned time periods and something much better and sustained. Forget Buck and McCarver for reasons too numerous to list in any thread.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #592 on: June 18, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 18, 2012, 01:02:22 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 18, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

Let's hope for nothing like any of the above-mentioned time periods and something much better and sustained. Forget Buck and McCarver for reasons too numerous to list in any thread.

Right. Would I take a fluky 90 win season next year? Of course. The idea is that they don't have fluky seasons anymore. That's what all this is about.

I've been really good about not getting pissed off seeing every game end in a loss because I know that there's a plan here. But I'll be damned if there aren't moments where the word Cubs depresses the hell out of me.

And now, the White Sox.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #593 on: June 18, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »
1. 2. 3. inning by Manny Fat.

The homeless, legless, wheelchair bound, Sox Fan on the corner of LaSalle and Monroe will not receive a dollar from me tomorrow morning.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #594 on: June 18, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 15, 2012, 11:28:06 PM
Quote from: flannj on June 15, 2012, 07:44:11 PM
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on June 15, 2012, 07:04:13 PM
it would be great if he could get on base at least 35% of the time.

Crux of the biscuit'd

And if your mom had balls she'd be your d...well she'd probably still be your mom because you're a fucked up hillrod but that's a pretty big "if" that you're talking about with little Tony C.

Yea, I know. It's the same as saying "If the Cubs were good at baseball, that'd be great because they'd be good!"

I was just thinking about how often the Cubs have had a guy who can actually steal bases at a rate that's worth the risk. I guess I'd just like to see that be a possibility, but Campana sucks so it'll never be. That fucker. Whathright?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #595 on: June 18, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
That game will make a nice season highlight.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #596 on: June 19, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on June 18, 2012, 10:30:53 PM

Crux of the biscuit'd

And if your mom had balls she'd be your d...well she'd probably still be your mom because you're a fucked up hillrod but that's a pretty big "if" that you're talking about with little Tony C.

Yea, I know. It's the same as saying "If the Cubs were good at baseball, that'd be great because they'd be good!"

I was just thinking about how often the Cubs have had a guy who can actually steal bases at a rate that's worth the risk. I guess I'd just like to see that be a possibility, but Campana sucks so it'll never be. That fucker. Whathright?

I think someone needs to go to Sabremetrics Re-education Camp.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #597 on: June 19, 2012, 08:43:55 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 19, 2012, 05:10:23 AM

Crux of the biscuit'd

I do?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #598 on: June 19, 2012, 09:02:31 AM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on June 19, 2012, 08:43:55 AM

Crux of the biscuit'd

I do?

I think he's saying "who can *not get caught stealing* at a rate that's worth the risk."  As in, at some point, if you can steal successfully x% of the time, it makes sense to do so and gain the extra base from it.  I am guessing that "x" is probably somewhere near 80%, given that the average success rate is around 70%, but I have nothing to back this up.

I did find this http://sabometrics.com/?p=582 which supposes, in the absence of other information, that it's about 75%, but varies depending on the situation, who's up and on deck, etc.

And, I believe the original Sabermetrics assertion we something like "players try to steal too often" or something similar, not "you shouldn't steal." 

And there I go taking PANK literally again.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #599 on: June 19, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on June 19, 2012, 09:02:31 AM
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on June 19, 2012, 08:43:55 AM

Crux of the biscuit'd

I do?

I think he's saying "who can *not get caught stealing* at a rate that's worth the risk."  As in, at some point, if you can steal successfully x% of the time, it makes sense to do so and gain the extra base from it.  I am guessing that "x" is probably somewhere near 80%, given that the average success rate is around 70%, but I have nothing to back this up.

I did find this http://sabometrics.com/?p=582 which supposes, in the absence of other information, that it's about 75%, but varies depending on the situation, who's up and on deck, etc.

And, I believe the original Sabermetrics assertion we something like "players try to steal too often" or something similar, not "you shouldn't steal." 

And there I go taking PANK literally again.
Sabometrics? They measure the guy that beat Mark Grace for the ROY?