News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses  ( 65,142 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Joe Maddon: The Man Behind the Glasses
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 03:21:20 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2015, 03:19:22 PM
TPD, but I don't see why you wouldn't put Russell second and move down Bryant and Rizzo to 3-4 in this situation. 

I know none of this really matters in the grand scheme of this, but this is a crazy lineup.

I guess Lake has an .875 OPS vs. lefthanders (in 8 PAs). He also OPS'd .956 vs. lefties in 2013, and as we all know, he did not play at all in 2014.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 02, 2015, 03:21:20 PM
TPD, but I don't see why you wouldn't put Russell second and move down Bryant and Rizzo to 3-4 in this situation. 

I know none of this really matters in the grand scheme of this, but this is a crazy lineup.

I guess Lake has an .875 OPS vs. lefthanders (in 8 PAs). He also OPS'd .956 vs. lefties in 2013, and as we all know, he did not play at all in 2014.

I need a good reason not just why Jonathan Herrera is in today's lineup, or even why he's on the Cubs, but why he's actually in Major League Baseball at all. 

He's got a negative WAR in 3 of the last 4 seasons.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2015, 03:23:50 PM

I need a good reason not just why Jonathan Herrera is in today's lineup, or even why he's on the Cubs, but why he's actually in Major League Baseball at all.  

Because Tommy La Stella won't man up and play through being dead.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 02, 2015, 03:24:57 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2015, 03:23:50 PM

Because Tommy La Stella won't man up and play through being dead.

For the record, I've been open to hating Tommy LaStella for a while now.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 04:16:38 PM »
It sucks seeing Ross in the lineup - not just today but like, ever - but if it keeps Miguel fresh so that he's not dead come August I'll grit my teeth and live with it.

This will all be irrelevant once Schwarber teaches himself to switch-hit so he can give Miguel a rest against tough lefties.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 04:19:22 PM »
Quote from: R-V on June 02, 2015, 04:16:38 PM
It sucks seeing Ross in the lineup - not just today but like, ever - but if it keeps Miguel fresh so that he's not dead come August I'll grit my teeth and live with it.

This will all be irrelevant once Schwarber teaches himself to switch-hit so he can give Miguel a rest against tough lefties.

Yeah I actually don't disagree with this, sadly. Miggy's already cooled off considerably, so if playing Ross 2 times a week instead of 1 helps him remain useful it's probably worth the trade off.

But I'd like to live in a world without Junior Lake and Herrera so please hurry with the Baez/Schwarber callups. Hell, Mendy seems to be warming up.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2015, 03:15:10 PM
Quote from: Eli on June 02, 2015, 03:13:17 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2015, 03:10:02 PM
Whole lot going on here:

Fowler
Bryant
Rizzo
Lake
Castro
Russell
Ross
Hendricks
Herrera

Wonder if we've seen the last of Addison Russell in the 9 hole.  
Sure hope we won't see much more of Junior Lake at cleanup or Herrera on this team.  

But the oddest part for me is the catcher situation.

After 2 great starts in a row with Montero, Hendricks throwing to Ross today.  It's a lefty on the mound for the Marlins, but Montero has been much better versus lefties (.903 OPS) than righties this year (.763) despite a minuscule sample size (only 11 ABs versus lefties.)  

Even if Joe wanted to go righty-heavy against the lefty pitcher (obviously) it seems odd that he'd break-up the Hendricks/Montero combo to achieve that.  

Ross' career OPS versus lefties (.766) is a lot better than Montero's (.654), but that still doesn't make me ever want to see Ross unless Lester is pitching. 

Bryant out in left, too.

It's all coming together for Vogelbach to take over third  the Schwarber to first/Rizzo Neyer-wet-dream trade.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2015, 10:38:06 PM »
What the fuck was that 8th inning, Joe

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2015, 12:02:58 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 18, 2015, 10:38:06 PM

What, you wouldn't rather have David Ross and Mike Baxter at the plate instead of the Chrises Coghlan and Denorfia? Weirdo. (chugs glue)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »

It was so bad there had to be an ulterior motive. There's no way Joe thought that sequence of events best set them up to score runs. He had a quote after the game about wanting to get guys in the game because "everyone on this team has a role." Maybe he's trying to send a message to the front office to get him a better bench.

Then again, it's not like this is the first time he's done this.

But seriously, stop yanking your good hitters in close games for pinch runners. And stop letting David Ross hit ever.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 19, 2015, 08:25:21 AM

It was so bad there had to be an ulterior motive. There's no way Joe thought that sequence of events best set them up to score runs. He had a quote after the game about wanting to get guys in the game because "everyone on this team has a role." Maybe he's trying to send a message to the front office to get him a better bench.

But seriously, stop yanking your good hitters in close games for pinch runners. And stop letting David Ross hit ever.

INTREPID READER SAHEDEV SHARMA:
Woah, Eli. I've talked to several equipment managers about this, and they all say David Ross has a value in the clubhouse you could never fathom. It's real. I see it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 19, 2015, 08:26:50 AM

Woah, Eli. I've talked to several equipment managers about this, and they all say David Ross has a value in the clubhouse you could never fathom. It's real. I see it.

Wrong thread, but I want to read an actual in-depth analysis of him that goes beyond 140 characters. I'm open to learning. But so far I've been completely unconvinced by people who think he has a place on this team.

Someone on Twitter yesterday told me that the difference between the best and worst framer in the league was 40 runs over a full season. The problem is that assumes 1.) Ross it the best framer in the league 2.) the Cubs would replace him with the worst framer in the league. Even if you accepted those two generous conclusions, Ross's bat over a full season would probably approach -40 run territory, so ... what's his value again? Not to mention the opportunity cost of using a roster spot on a guy who can't hit.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 19, 2015, 08:43:57 AM

Wrong thread, but I want to read an actual in-depth analysis of him that goes beyond 140 characters. I'm open to learning. But so far I've been completely unconvinced by people who think he has a place on this team.

Someone on Twitter yesterday told me that the difference between the best and worst framer in the league was 40 runs over a full season. The problem is that assumes 1.) Ross it the best framer in the league 2.) the Cubs would replace him with the worst framer in the league. Even if you accepted those two generous conclusions, Ross's bat over a full season would probably approach -40 run territory, so ... what's his value again? Not to mention the opportunity cost of using a roster spot on a guy who can't hit.

The Ross thing is quite simple, really. It's such an obviously stupid thing to do that people cannot believe a bunch of obviously smart people are doing it, so whatever bullshit explanation they provide for it has to be true.

Hell, look how Maddon and Len Kasper won't even admit Ross is Lester's personal catcher, because they can't speak to the obvious truth of why he's on the roster. I'd rather they just come out and say he's there because Lester wants him there rather than have my faith in the front office slowly undermined by people telling me over and over again how much they value terrible baseball players who are good "clubhouse guys." That's cro-magnon thinking from people who should be above it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2015, 09:07:09 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 19, 2015, 08:47:28 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 19, 2015, 08:43:57 AM

The Ross thing is quite simple, really. It's such an obviously stupid thing to do that people cannot believe a bunch of obviously smart people are doing it, so whatever bullshit explanation they provide for it has to be true.

Hell, look how Maddon and Len Kasper won't even admit Ross is Lester's personal catcher, because they can't speak to the obvious truth of why he's on the roster. I'd rather they just come out and say he's there because Lester wants him there rather than have my faith in the front office slowly undermined by people telling me over and over again how much they value terrible baseball players who are good "clubhouse guys." That's cro-magnon thinking from people who should be above it.

Something something let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  Managers don't bat 1.000.   Who knows what this wack job was thinking last night?  He does weird shit, either for effect or because he really believes it.  Frankly I don't care how he goes about it or how he explains it.  On balance,  the results have been good when you consider that he even has  guys like Baxter and Ross at his "disposal" (in addition to Mack Seizure, Hoon-Your Lago, Herrera etc.).

Further, they (and we) weren't planning on Coghlan sucking eggs the first 6 weeks, and they had also hoped Denorfia would be Coghlans' platoon partner, but the latter was injured for the same time period, much like Tommy LaStella, who's been injured or dead all year, and even LaStella's presence was to have augmented the development of Alcantara, who shit the tub and got sent back.  

Also their #4 starter was the pitching equivalent of Coghlan the first 6 weeks, and #5 remains a goddamn mystery brew.  The bullpen has also been wracked with injuries (Ramirez seems like a big one), and their closer has been unsteady of late.

Oh, and Soler didn't produce like we hoped early on, and when it seemed like he started to warm up, he got hurt.

And yet in spite of all that, and in spite of their manager seemingly kicking one away by diluting his talent in the late innings of a game they eventually lost, they have the 7th best record in baseball.  Last night was frustrating, but they'll be plenty more nights like that because baseball.  I mean, I hate David Ross too--and I'm not lending any credence to what Sahadev suggested either-- but you getting upset about how he discusses the situation with the lead play-by-play man is a bit much.

So I'd tell you top maybe try stop losing your shit when the Cubs lose a game, but nothing seems to make you lose your shit more than when someone suggests you stop losing it, so I'ma just gonna gently suggest you maybe see how this plays out.  
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2015, 09:11:53 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 19, 2015, 09:07:09 AM
Something something let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  Managers don't bat 1.000.   Who knows what this wack job was thinking last night?  He does weird shit, either for effect or because he really believes it.  Frankly I don't care how he goes about it or how he explains it.  On balance,  the results have been good when you consider that he even has  guys like Baxter and Ross at his "disposal" (in addition to Mack Seizure, Hoon-Your Lago, Herrera etc.).

Further, they (and we) weren't planning on Coghlan sucking eggs the first 6 weeks, and they had also hoped Denorfia would be Coghlans' platoon partner, but the latter was injured for the same time period, much like Tommy LaStrella, who's been injured or dead all year, and even LaStella's presence was to have augmented the development of Alcantara, who shit the tub and got sent back.  

Also their #4 starter was the pitching equivalent of Coghlan the first 6 weeks, and #5 remains a goddamn mystery brew.  The bullpen has also been wracked with injuries (Ramirez seems like a big one), and their closer has been unsteady of late.

Oh, and Soler didn't produce like we hoped early on, and when it seemed like he started to warm up, he got hurt.

And yet in spite of all that, and in spite of their manager seemingly kicking one away by diluting his talent in the late innings of a game they eventually lost, they have the 7th best record in baseball.  Last night was frustrating, but they'll be plenty more nights like that because baseball.  I mean, I hate David Ross too--and I'm not lending any credence to what Sahadev suggested either-- but you getting upset about how he discusses the situation with the lead play-by-play man is a bit much.

So I'd tell you top maybe try stop losing your shit when the Cubs lose a game, but nothing seems to make you lose your shit more than when someone suggests you stop losing it, so I'ma just gonna gently suggest you maybe see how this plays out.  

Jesus, I'm not losing my shit at a Cubs loss. The loss was fine, it happens. I'm criticizing specific moves Joe Maddon made, which should be allowed. I like the guy too, he's not infallible.

As for the Ross thing, I wasn't even commenting on what Maddon told Kasper. I was saying Maddon AND Kasper are just two guys who have been asked about Ross being Lester's personal catcher and have denied the obvious.

I'm not freaking out about anything at all, but I'm really sick of having to be talked off a ledge I'm not even on because I'm bitching about fucking David Ross.

I mean if anyone can find any evidence whatsoever of me actually saying the Cubs are DOOMED or something, fine, but if you want to single me out for being one of 5 million people bitching about David Ross and Joe's weird 8th inning stroke last night like I'm some common Fro Dog, bugger off. Hell I spent last night after the loss talking with Sahedev and others on twitter about why there are so many reasons for optimism with this team and why guys like that Jeff Aronson dude who write the Cubs off whenever they're down 2 runs early in a game are fucking irritating.