News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,236 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 22, 2011, 06:16:45 PM
New ChicagoNOW, same old hilarity.

Hey! That fucker doesn't have us in his blogroll!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2011, 08:16:02 AM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 24, 2011, 08:10:52 AM
Rick Morrissey, you magnificent bastard.

Wonder if Rick knows the Cubs are not required to hire someone from the 606xx zip code.  Just like the 'lil meatballs on Mike Murphy Saturday show who demanded that Kenny Wiliams replace Hendry
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2011, 09:50:17 AM »
You know, between Phil Rogers and David Haugh, the Trib has become funnier than The Onion.

Anyway, David's got hisself a brilliant plan to turn the Bears around:

Step 1: Hire the football equivalent of Theo Epstein

Step 2: Profit

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1016-haugh-bears-chicago--20111016,0,7806589.column

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 16, 2011, 09:50:17 AM
You know, between Phil Rogers and David Haugh, the Trib has become funnier than The Onion.

Anyway, David's got hisself a brilliant plan to turn the Bears around:

Step 1: Hire the football equivalent of Theo Epstein

Step 2: Profit

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1016-haugh-bears-chicago--20111016,0,7806589.column

His idea of thinking big is trading a 3rd round pick for the corpse of Reggie Wayne? Holy shit.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2011, 09:53:41 PM »
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2011, 12:15:44 AM »

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 02:52:41 PM
Get Phil Rogers and Seabiscuit's Jockey immortalized on your Kindle!

It's the outside scoop, direct to you by internet!

QuoteThe firing of Jim Hendry, the meltdown in Beantown and every other detail you might have missed surrounding the hiring of the world-reknown curse-breaker Theo Epstein.

Wouldn't "every other detail" imply that Hendry's firing and the Red Sox' September swoon are also details they expect readers might have missed?

All this and more!

That said, the Amazon Kindle store has alerted me to an interesting related fact that isn't made clear in their regular store: "When Theo Met Tom: A Cubs Story" co-author Mark Gonzales also apparently ghost wrote "Said in Stone: Your Game, My Way."

Indeed, while this fact is not really spelled out on that book's cover, spine or copyright page either, Stoney himself had this much to say:

QuoteIt was my idea, and then I worked with Mark Gonzales, who did a nice job of arranging my thoughts and doing a lot of research.  Mark was invaluable being a writer.  I don't spell very well, and he does a great job of it.  He really did a lot in putting this together, but they are all my words and we didn't do it in the interview format.  I would write a lot of it on yellow legal pads and then I would use a tape recorder.  Next, I would go through the sections by myself and then Mark would get all of the words arrange them and put into writer's speak.

Steve Stone: the thinking man's baseball talking person.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 01, 2011, 03:55:29 PM

QuoteThe firing of Jim Hendry, the meltdown in Beantown and every other detail you might have missed surrounding the hiring of the world-reknown curse-breaker Theo Epstein.

Wouldn't "every other detail" imply that Hendry's firing and the Red Sox' September swoon are also details they expect readers might have missed?

All this and more!

That said, the Amazon Kindle store has alerted me to an interesting related fact that isn't made clear in their regular store: "When Theo Met Tom: A Cubs Story" co-author Mark Gonzales also apparently ghost wrote "Said in Stone: Your Game, My Way."

Indeed, while this fact is not really spelled out on that book's cover, spine or copyright page either, Stoney himself had this much to say:

QuoteIt was my idea, and then I worked with Mark Gonzales, who did a nice job of arranging my thoughts and doing a lot of research.  Mark was invaluable being a writer.  I don't spell very well, and he does a great job of it.  He really did a lot in putting this together, but they are all my words and we didn't do it in the interview format.  I would write a lot of it on yellow legal pads and then I would use a tape recorder.  Next, I would go through the sections by myself and then Mark would get all of the words arrange them and put into writer's speak.

"Hamlet"  A tragedy by the Earl of Oxford as told to William Shakespeare.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »

All this and more!

Funny, Stone's second book reads a lot like Ryne Sandberg's second autobiography, which, while it seems to be in the same voice as his HOF speech, seems much different than his first attempt at chronicling his life.

Athletes ghost-writing books? Are you going to tell me Santa Claus is not real next?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 05:34:44 PM

All this and more!

Funny, Stone's second book reads a lot like Ryne Sandberg's second autobiography, which, while it seems to be in the same voice as his HOF speech, seems much different than his first attempt at chronicling his life.

Athletes ghost-writing books? Are you going to tell me Santa Claus is not real next?

If you can't find humor in that quote, that's fine.

I think we can all agree, though, that something is amiss here.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2011, 06:20:48 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 01, 2011, 05:49:04 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 05:34:44 PM

All this and more!

If you can't find humor in that quote, that's fine.

I think we can all agree, though, that something is amiss here.

There's nothing wrong with an athlete having a writer help him get his thoughts on paper.  What I do enjoy is the fact that Stone is so goddamn arrogant and smarmy he has to mock Gonzales in the act of admitting that even the Great Steve Stone needs some help.