News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,160 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 01, 2011, 06:20:48 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 01, 2011, 05:49:04 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 05:34:44 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 01, 2011, 03:55:29 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 02:52:41 PM
Get Phil Rogers and Seabiscuit's Jockey immortalized on your Kindle!

It's the outside scoop, direct to you by internet!

QuoteThe firing of Jim Hendry, the meltdown in Beantown and every other detail you might have missed surrounding the hiring of the world-reknown curse-breaker Theo Epstein.

Wouldn't "every other detail" imply that Hendry's firing and the Red Sox' September swoon are also details they expect readers might have missed?

All this and more!

That said, the Amazon Kindle store has alerted me to an interesting related fact that isn't made clear in their regular store: "When Theo Met Tom: A Cubs Story" co-author Mark Gonzales also apparently ghost wrote "Said in Stone: Your Game, My Way."

Indeed, while this fact is not really spelled out on that book's cover, spine or copyright page either, Stoney himself had this much to say:

QuoteIt was my idea, and then I worked with Mark Gonzales, who did a nice job of arranging my thoughts and doing a lot of research.  Mark was invaluable being a writer.  I don't spell very well, and he does a great job of it.  He really did a lot in putting this together, but they are all my words and we didn't do it in the interview format.  I would write a lot of it on yellow legal pads and then I would use a tape recorder.  Next, I would go through the sections by myself and then Mark would get all of the words arrange them and put into writer's speak.

Steve Stone: the thinking man's baseball talking person.

Funny, Stone's second book reads a lot like Ryne Sandberg's second autobiography, which, while it seems to be in the same voice as his HOF speech, seems much different than his first attempt at chronicling his life.

Athletes ghost-writing books? Are you going to tell me Santa Claus is not real next?

If you can't find humor in that quote, that's fine.

I think we can all agree, though, that something is amiss here.

There's nothing wrong with an athlete having a writer help him get his thoughts on paper.  What I do enjoy is the fact that Stone is so goddamn arrogant and smarmy he has to mock Gonzales in the act of admitting that even the Great Steve Stone needs some help.

No, I found the humor, I was just marveling at the fact Stone has three ghost writers for three books.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 10:28:34 PM
Quote from: CT III on November 01, 2011, 06:20:48 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 01, 2011, 05:49:04 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 05:34:44 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 01, 2011, 03:55:29 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 02:52:41 PM
Get Phil Rogers and Seabiscuit's Jockey immortalized on your Kindle!

It's the outside scoop, direct to you by internet!

QuoteThe firing of Jim Hendry, the meltdown in Beantown and every other detail you might have missed surrounding the hiring of the world-reknown curse-breaker Theo Epstein.

Wouldn't "every other detail" imply that Hendry's firing and the Red Sox' September swoon are also details they expect readers might have missed?

All this and more!

That said, the Amazon Kindle store has alerted me to an interesting related fact that isn't made clear in their regular store: "When Theo Met Tom: A Cubs Story" co-author Mark Gonzales also apparently ghost wrote "Said in Stone: Your Game, My Way."

Indeed, while this fact is not really spelled out on that book's cover, spine or copyright page either, Stoney himself had this much to say:

QuoteIt was my idea, and then I worked with Mark Gonzales, who did a nice job of arranging my thoughts and doing a lot of research.  Mark was invaluable being a writer.  I don't spell very well, and he does a great job of it.  He really did a lot in putting this together, but they are all my words and we didn't do it in the interview format.  I would write a lot of it on yellow legal pads and then I would use a tape recorder.  Next, I would go through the sections by myself and then Mark would get all of the words arrange them and put into writer's speak.

Steve Stone: the thinking man's baseball talking person.

Funny, Stone's second book reads a lot like Ryne Sandberg's second autobiography, which, while it seems to be in the same voice as his HOF speech, seems much different than his first attempt at chronicling his life.

Athletes ghost-writing books? Are you going to tell me Santa Claus is not real next?

If you can't find humor in that quote, that's fine.

I think we can all agree, though, that something is amiss here.

There's nothing wrong with an athlete having a writer help him get his thoughts on paper.  What I do enjoy is the fact that Stone is so goddamn arrogant and smarmy he has to mock Gonzales in the act of admitting that even the Great Steve Stone needs some help.

No, I found the humor, I was just marveling at the fact Stone has three ghost writers for three books.

Maybe he wanted Ghost Writers to watch over his Ghost Writers.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »
I don't know who Sue Gelber is--or who she must know at the Tribune-- but this ham-handed awfulnessshould never have seen the light of day.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 14, 2011, 01:56:08 PM
I don't know who Sue Gelber is--or whom she must know at the Tribune-- but this ham-handed awfulnessshould never have seen the light of day.

Copy edited for your pleasure.

She's a transplanted New Englander living in Winnetka. Probably down the street from Sec. 242.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »
I don't know who Sue Gelber is--or who she must know at the Tribune-- but this ham-handed awfulnessshould never have seen the light of day.

Clearly she got the idea from reading BCB.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 14, 2011, 02:02:41 PM
I don't know who Sue Gelber is--or whom she must know at the Tribune-- but this ham-handed awfulnessshould never have seen the light of day.

She's a transplanted New Englander living in Winnetka. Probably down the street from Sec. 242.

I had my suspicions that she didn't live in the city proper when I read this line:

QuoteWhen you come with somebody and venture out on the roads, be careful. They don't know how to drive here. They stop at stop signs, yield when they're supposed to, and when the traffic light turns yellow, they slow down instead of speeding up. Fortunately, there's one spot that will seem like home: the Kennedy Expressway. Whenever you get homesick, just navigate to the highway and within seconds you'll see people tailgating, weaving through traffic or cutting up the side. It may just bring a tear to your eye.

No sooner could I think "Who in the fuck is she crapping?" did I decide to flip to the end, to her bio, to see that she lived in leafy Winnetka.  I mean, maybe somebody once ran the yellow at Tower and Green Bay Road, but I don't think it's fair to compare suburban traffic to an east coast city's.  The fact that her only exposure to city driving is around Hubbard's Cave, as she's heading back East no doubt serves to further demonstrate how insulated she is and, thus, UNQUALIFIED FOR MEATBALL STATUS.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 14, 2011, 02:08:42 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 14, 2011, 02:02:41 PM

I had my suspicions that she didn't live in the city proper when I read this line:

QuoteWhen you come with somebody and venture out on the roads, be careful. They don't know how to drive here. They stop at stop signs, yield when they're supposed to, and when the traffic light turns yellow, they slow down instead of speeding up. Fortunately, there's one spot that will seem like home: the Kennedy Expressway. Whenever you get homesick, just navigate to the highway and within seconds you'll see people tailgating, weaving through traffic or cutting up the side. It may just bring a tear to your eye.

No sooner could I think "Who in the fuck is she crapping?" did I decide to flip to the end, to her bio, to see that she lived in leafy Winnetka.  I mean, maybe somebody once ran the yellow at Tower and Green Bay Road, but I don't think it's fair to compare suburban traffic to an east coast city's.  The fact that her only exposure to city driving is around Hubbard's Cave, as she's heading back East no doubt serves to further demonstrate how insulated she is and, thus, UNQUALIFIED FOR MEATBALL STATUS.

True story: Sec 242 and I take our boys to swimming "class" at New Trier. A few weeks ago, there was an open house at the Winnetka police and fire department so he and I took our boys over there so they could play in the fire trucks, take a tour of the police department, etc.

On the tour of the state of the art PD, the police officer/tour guide proudly related this stat: they process over 200 arrests a year, which is fewer than 4 a week. Figure they probably pinch a guy for DUI once a week on Green Bay Rd, and then they bust 3-5 large parties of underagers a year, it gives them plenty of time to aggressively ticket any stop sign scofflaws. Winnetka is no threat to take away St. Louis' title as the country's most dangerous city.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »
East Coast transplants write like this...

Chicago meatballs write like that...

Quote from: PANK! on November 14, 2011, 02:08:42 PM
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »

She's not even that good an East Coast meatball. She doesn't make it all about herself.

Mostly, but not all.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2011, 09:21:31 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
NFL should more or less go to two hand touch  

Barnwell is usually unreadable as is.  But he totally stepped his game up.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
Quote from: BBM on November 28, 2011, 11:03:09 AM
NFL should more or less go to two hand touch[/url 

Barnwell is usually unreadable as is.  But he totally stepped his game up.

Jesus.  Personally I don't even think that what Louis did should be considered a "horse-collar" since he did it using the jersey and spun the guy down in a circle rather than pulling straight back inside the shoulder pads.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on November 28, 2011, 11:09:06 AM

Jesus.  Personally I don't even think that what Louis did should be considered a "horse-collar" since he did it using the jersey and spun the guy down in a circle rather than pulling straight back inside the shoulder pads.

Bill Barnwell continues his streak of pointless, whiny articles.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 28, 2011, 01:30:47 PM
Quote from: morpheus on November 28, 2011, 11:09:06 AM

Bill Barnwell continues his streak of pointless, whiny articles.

And I remain undaunted in my quest to never know who the fuck that even is.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
David Huh thinks McNabb is the answer for the Bears. That is all.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?