News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,045 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #405 on: September 25, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 25, 2013, 12:42:08 PM
I'm also sick and God damn tired of people complaining that the Cubs are "behaving like a mid-market team." Like the Cardinals, Tigers, Indians, Royals, Pirates, Orioles, Reds etc??? Those same turds keep spewing the same bag of ass like, "This plan isn't special, everybody is doing it now." Not everybody, no. Toronto and Miami are two notable exceptions.

All we're banking on is that Jepstink will continue its history of drafting, developing, signing and keeping its own talent and trading for/signing the rest when the time comes. There isn't another way to go. The day of the $250 MM juggernaut is going away. I hope Gordo goes with it.

What's wrong with a "big-market" team in this situation acting like a mid-market team anyway?  What does pissing away tens of millions on mid-range talent accomplish?  There are no impact players on the market to buy, so they'd only be improving on the edges.  That's money they can't spend on scouting, drafting, signing, and development just so Kyle Farnsworth and Jamey Carroll can log innings instead of Blake Parker and Donnie Murphy.  For what?  If they are one, the Cubs should be a big market team when it's prudent to do so.  Save those resources for the young talent in the pipeline instead of spending it just to buy a modicum of respect.  Hooray, they're a .500 team instead of .411, that changes everything!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: September 25, 2013, 04:33:41 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 25, 2013, 04:28:32 PM
I'm also sick and God damn tired of people complaining that the Cubs are "behaving like a mid-market team." Like the Cardinals, Tigers, Indians, Royals, Pirates, Orioles, Reds etc??? Those same turds keep spewing the same bag of ass like, "This plan isn't special, everybody is doing it now." Not everybody, no. Toronto and Miami are two notable exceptions.

All we're banking on is that Jepstink will continue its history of drafting, developing, signing and keeping its own talent and trading for/signing the rest when the time comes. There isn't another way to go. The day of the $250 MM juggernaut is going away. I hope Gordo goes with it.

What's wrong with a "big-market" team in this situation acting like a mid-market team anyway?  What does pissing away tens of millions on mid-range talent accomplish?  There are no impact players on the market to buy, so they'd only be improving on the edges.  That's money they can't spend on scouting, drafting, signing, and development just so Kyle Farnsworth and Jamey Carroll can log innings instead of Blake Parker and Donnie Murphy.  For what?  If they are one, the Cubs should be a big market team when it's prudent to do so.  Save those resources for the young talent in the pipeline instead of spending it just to buy a modicum of respect.  Hooray, they're a .500 team instead of .411, that changes everything!

Even if there were impact players on the market, the Cubs would need two or three Babe Ruths on top of the guys already here in order to compete next year in a division where three teams are going to the postseason. They're actually using a successful business model here, cutting back the budget until there's something worth spending money on. The payroll will climb later on, when it's time for whichever prospects pan out step up to get paid.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: September 25, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 25, 2013, 04:33:41 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 25, 2013, 04:28:32 PM

Even if there were impact players on the market, the Cubs would need two or three Babe Ruths on top of the guys already here in order to compete next year in a division where three teams are going to the postseason. They're actually using a successful business model here, cutting back the budget until there's something worth spending money on. The payroll will climb later on, when it's time for whichever prospects pan out step up to get paid.

LET'S DO IT!

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: September 25, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 25, 2013, 03:09:41 PM
QuoteBut what if the Cubs had been able to afford to sign international building blocks such as Yu Darvish and Yoenis Cespedes? What would that have made 2014 look like, especially if they had the means to do more than dream this winter about going after 24-year-old Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka (20-0, 1.24 ERA, barely a walk per nine innings)?

Didn't the Cubs make rather strong offers to Cespedes and Darvish?

As a matter of fact, the Cubs were runners up for both, according to Buster Olney and one Gordon Wittenmyer.

Honestly, though, this is my favorite line (from the #FACT downplaying Theo's accomplishments in Boston):

QuoteThen David Ortiz fell out of the sky when the Minnesota Twins couldn't afford to go through arbitration and non-tendered him.

What blind luck for Big Papi to just fall out of the free agency sky and for Theo to be the only GM in baseball without an umbrella.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: September 25, 2013, 09:02:15 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 25, 2013, 06:44:56 PM
QuoteBut what if the Cubs had been able to afford to sign international building blocks such as Yu Darvish and Yoenis Cespedes? What would that have made 2014 look like, especially if they had the means to do more than dream this winter about going after 24-year-old Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka (20-0, 1.24 ERA, barely a walk per nine innings)?

As a matter of fact, the Cubs were runners up for both, according to Buster Olney and one Gordon Wittenmyer.

Honestly, though, this is my favorite line (from the #FACT downplaying Theo's accomplishments in Boston):

QuoteThen David Ortiz fell out of the sky when the Minnesota Twins couldn't afford to go through arbitration and non-tendered him.

What blind luck for Big Papi to just fall out of the free agency sky and for Theo to be the only GM in baseball without an umbrella.

A lot of legends fall out of the sky: Roberto Clemente, Thurman Munson, Ken Hubbs, Payne Stewart, Knute Rockne...

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #410 on: September 25, 2013, 09:11:53 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 25, 2013, 09:02:15 PM

A lot of legends fall out of the sky: Roberto Clemente, Thurman Munson, Ken Hubbs, Payne Stewart, Knute Rockne...

This is the funniest shit I've read in a long time.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: September 25, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »

Intrepid Reader Cory Lidle...
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Buddy Holly say "look out below!"
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: September 26, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 25, 2013, 10:57:27 PM

Intrepid Readers: Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

Да.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #413 on: September 26, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 26, 2013, 12:25:28 AM

Да.

Intrepid Readers: Marshall

WE WERE!
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #414 on: September 26, 2013, 07:13:30 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 26, 2013, 01:20:33 AM

Да.

Intrepid Readers: Marshall

WE WERE!

BUM BA-DUM BA BUM BUM BUM

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: September 26, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »

Да.

Intrepid Readers: Canada

Bill Barilko did it first, eh?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: September 26, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 25, 2013, 11:44:46 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 25, 2013, 11:13:47 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 25, 2013, 09:59:47 AM
What's so Special about Gordstink?

Appalling.

If Gordon is still around in two years, he's going to have to answer for this.

And he told Gordo:

"Andrew Peck15 minutes ago

Way to feed the trolls, Gordo. If you're still around in two years you're going to have to answer for this."

Quote from: Open Minded 21 hours agoOnce again Gordon has hit a home run. Every word of this article is spot on! Including the bit about inheriting a team chock full of talent. Casting the real talent downstream while getting 'prospects' is akin to playing the lottery every day and saying when I hit it will be big. Epstein may have a Yale degree but might have learned nothing about the fan base. Who wants to watch a bunch of AA and AAA players from July to September? All the while paying BIG LEAGUE prices. The season ended for this Cub fan when Garcia was let go. And monkeying around with Castro's and Rizzo's arc's is borderline blasphemy. Way to go guys. The sooner Epstein and Hoyer go the better off we will all be in Cubdom.

TRADING MACK GARCIA WAS THE LAST STRAW, JEPSTINK. QUIT MONKEYING AROUND AND LEARN ABOUT THE FAN BASE'S ALREADY.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: September 26, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 26, 2013, 10:51:56 AM

Appalling.

And he told Gordo:

Way to feed the trolls, Gordo. If you're still around in two years you're going to have to answer for this."

Quote from: Open Minded 21 hours agoOnce again Gordon has hit a home run. Every word of this article is spot on! Including the bit about inheriting a team chock full of talent. Casting the real talent downstream while getting 'prospects' is akin to playing the lottery every day and saying when I hit it will be big. Epstein may have a Yale degree but might have learned nothing about the fan base. Who wants to watch a bunch of AA and AAA players from July to September? All the while paying BIG LEAGUE prices. The season ended for this Cub fan when Garcia was let go. And monkeying around with Castro's and Rizzo's arc's is borderline blasphemy. Way to go guys. The sooner Epstein and Hoyer go the better off we will all be in Cubdom.

TRADING MACK GARCIA WAS THE LAST STRAW, JEPSTINK. QUIT MONKEYING AROUND AND LEARN ABOUT THE FAN BASE'S ALREADY.

That's gotta be Chuck D.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: September 26, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 26, 2013, 10:53:53 AM

Appalling.

And he told Gordo:

That's gotta be Chuck D.

No. This guy seems to be for real.

Quote from: Open MindedI can see your BB knowledge is that of a sieve. Leaking at all times. Winning is contagious and the cubs DON'T have it and never will as long as these guys are prospects. Now head over to the b-ball almanac and read about winning teams and what they have in common. Hint, it has to do with PITCHING. Something the cubs traded away for A players. Theo, if I can call you that, what in tarnation are you doing?

You can never have too much pitching.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: September 26, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 26, 2013, 11:27:57 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 26, 2013, 10:53:53 AM

Appalling.

And he told Gordo:

That's gotta be Chuck D.

No. This guy seems to be for real.

Quote from: Open MindedI can see your BB knowledge is that of a sieve. Leaking at all times. Winning is contagious and the cubs DON'T have it and never will as long as these guys are prospects. Now head over to the b-ball almanac and read about winning teams and what they have in common. Hint, it has to do with PITCHING. Something the cubs traded away for A players. Theo, if I can call you that, what in tarnation are you doing?

You can never have too much pitching.

Or tarnation.
TIME TO POST!