News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,256 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #630 on: February 08, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 08, 2014, 08:46:33 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on February 04, 2014, 07:44:37 PM
If you enjoy the kind of obvious, trite observations made by every wannabe comedian forty-something middle manager who attended an insurance convention in San Diego once, this is a veritable buffet. The embarrassingly dull writing and poor punctuation from a media professional is just a bonus. I lived in San Diego for a year but it sounds like Andy's only been paying attention for a couple weeks because every single one of these should be rightly received with "no shit."

Well I hope you're happy, Sterling, BECAUSE A MAN IS DEAD

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/february/padres-fire-radio-broadcaster-replace-him-with-football-announcer.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Er...fired.

I'm not happy, but that sounds like a messed up situation is unfolding down there so maybe it's good that he's getting out. Some team will hire him.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #631 on: March 06, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »
DPD, because I'm an angry man.

Quote from: Brett TaylorSCardenfreude.

Ugh.  I wish he'd quit trying to make that happen.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #632 on: March 07, 2014, 01:09:46 PM »
Gambling is bad, juicing is good.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #633 on: March 07, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 07, 2014, 01:09:46 PM

Still can't do an article without mentioning the "cards"

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #634 on: March 07, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 07, 2014, 01:18:22 PM

This article is the most imbecilic thing that Leitch has ever written.  That is really saying something.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #635 on: March 07, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 07, 2014, 01:30:34 PM

This article is the most imbecilic thing that Leitch has ever written.  That is really saying something.

I'm sure he works in plenty of douchebaggery in support - unreadable to be sure - but I agree with all ten of his main points completely.  
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #636 on: March 07, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
I also wish Pete Rose would hurry up and die so they can put him in the Hall Of Fame.

Quote10. There's still a ton we probably don't know about Rose's gambling. This has always seemed the shutdown argument. When Rose voluntarily agreed to his ban, part of the deal was MLB would halt its investigation of him. That's to say: There may have been far more gambling involvement with Rose than we know now. Do we know that? No. But we do know that when Rose agreed to his ban, he did so in large part so the investigation would stop. As Matt Snyder from CBS Sportsline put it: "We'll never know what more the investigation would have found and revealed, but we do know Rose wanted badly enough for it to stop that he cut the deal and volunteered to be banned from baseball for life."

Fuck Rose.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #637 on: March 07, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 07, 2014, 03:13:03 PM
I also wish Pete Rose would hurry up and die so they can put him in the Hall Of Fame.

Quote10. There's still a ton we probably don't know about Rose's gambling. This has always seemed the shutdown argument. When Rose voluntarily agreed to his ban, part of the deal was MLB would halt its investigation of him. That's to say: There may have been far more gambling involvement with Rose than we know now. Do we know that? No. But we do know that when Rose agreed to his ban, he did so in large part so the investigation would stop. As Matt Snyder from CBS Sportsline put it: "We'll never know what more the investigation would have found and revealed, but we do know Rose wanted badly enough for it to stop that he cut the deal and volunteered to be banned from baseball for life."

Fuck Rose.

This.

Quote from: InternetApex on March 07, 2014, 03:08:29 PM

This article is the most imbecilic thing that Leitch has ever written.  That is really saying something.

I'm sure he works in plenty of douchebaggery in support - unreadable to be sure - but I agree with all ten of his main points completely. 

That, too.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #638 on: March 07, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 07, 2014, 03:49:32 PM

Fuck Rose.

This.

That, too.

Yep, and yep.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #639 on: March 08, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 07, 2014, 06:11:36 PM

Fuck Rose.

This.

That, too.

Yep, and yep.

Ditto and tritto.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #640 on: March 09, 2014, 05:10:51 AM »
Quote from: Bort on March 08, 2014, 03:53:07 PM

Fuck Rose.

This.

That, too.

Yep, and yep.

Ditto and tritto.

Apart from point 6, clearly:

Quote from: Leitch
"There's still not a ton of proof that PEDs work the way many claim. We know throwing games works. Many intelligent observers have long argued that the supposed "steroid era" of baseball might in fact have been a juiced ball era; the only proof we have so far of the benefits of PEDs have been in helping players recover from injury and workouts.  (There has been no connection proven between taking PEDs and being able to hit a baseball, farther or otherwise.)

[emphasis is mine]

This bugs the shit out of me.  It's not too far removed from the surprisingly commonly-held notion that steroids, somehow, magically make you stronger even if you sit on your arse all day long.  The whole fucking point of steroids, and the whole reason that professional athletes use them, is that they help them to recover faster from injury and, especially, workouts.  If you recover from your workout faster, you can work out more often and harder, and your physical development, firstly, is accelerated and secondly, can be maintained at a level that wouldn't otherwise be possible.  Thus, you can hit (or throw) a fucking baseball harder.  Guh.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #641 on: March 09, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 09, 2014, 05:10:51 AM

Fuck Rose.

This.

That, too.

Yep, and yep.

Ditto and tritto.

"There's still not a ton of proof that PEDs work the way many claim. We know throwing games works. Many intelligent observers have long argued that the supposed "steroid era" of baseball might in fact have been a juiced ball era; the only proof we have so far of the benefits of PEDs have been in helping players recover from injury and workouts.  (There has been no connection proven between taking PEDs and being able to hit a baseball, farther or otherwise.)

[emphasis is mine]

This bugs the shit out of me.  It's not too far removed from the surprisingly commonly-held notion that steroids, somehow, magically make you stronger even if you sit on your arse all day long.  The whole fucking point of steroids, and the whole reason that professional athletes use them, is that they help them to recover faster from injury and, especially, workouts.  If you recover from your workout faster, you can work out more often and harder, and your physical development, firstly, is accelerated and secondly, can be maintained at a level that wouldn't otherwise be possible.  Thus, you can hit (or throw) a fucking baseball harder.  Guh.

Steroids don't kill baseballs. People with enormous, steroid-enabled muscles kill baseballs.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #642 on: March 09, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
Adding, now that I've wasted my time reading this crap, also from point 6:

QuoteThere's still not a ton of proof that PEDs work the way many claim. We know throwing games works... Also, it has not been proven that PEDs have changed the result of a single game, particularly when you consider that it's not just hitters who have taken them. Pete Rose placed money with people outside of the game based on the results of games he was directly in charge of. This is proven, admitted and undeniable. No one else has been proven to do this since Rose.

This makes it sound like it is "proven, admitted and undeniable" that Rose bet against the Reds. That his gambling changed the outcome of games.

I don't think you have to rise to the defense of Pete Rose—or even disagree with the notion that gambling is worse than PEDs—to call this out as sloppy thinking and writing.

That Rose bet on games he managed, on the regular, is irrefutable. The actual effect his bets had on the field is arguable but far from open-and-shut. Pete Rose is a first-ballot Douchebag Hall of Famer. Will Leitch is a horribly, unreadably shitty writer. And I'm done here.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #643 on: March 09, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 09, 2014, 12:37:10 PM
Quote from: Tonker on March 09, 2014, 05:10:51 AM

Fuck Rose.

This.

That, too.

Yep, and yep.

Ditto and tritto.

[emphasis is mine]

Steroids don't kill baseballs. People with enormous, steroid-enabled muscles kill baseballs.
It really bothers me that while he was playing fans around here refused to be embarrassed by Barry Bonds.  Now that he is long out of baseball they have joined the ranks and condemn his excesses.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #644 on: March 09, 2014, 08:48:35 PM »
I'm all for increased statistical analysis in baseball, but this expression of Bernstein's wet dream would make broadcasts unlistenable:

QuoteSo no more, “He took a really good route to that ball.” That now becomes, “Here you see what would have been a perfect route to that ball, and Mike Trout does a remarkable job of keeping 94 percent route-efficiency.”

QuoteNo more, “Yu Darvish is really getting great rotation on his curveball.” That’s now, “His curve is averaging 1700 RPM, which is 100 more than it did in his last start and 12 percent above league average.”

Has to be better ways to integrate advanced analysis than that.