News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,234 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #645 on: March 09, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 09, 2014, 08:48:35 PM
I'm all for increased statistical analysis in baseball, but this expression of Bernstein's wet dream would make broadcasts unlistenable:

QuoteSo no more, "He took a really good route to that ball." That now becomes, "Here you see what would have been a perfect route to that ball, and Mike Trout does a remarkable job of keeping 94 percent route-efficiency."

QuoteNo more, "Yu Darvish is really getting great rotation on his curveball." That's now, "His curve is averaging 1700 RPM, which is 100 more than it did in his last start and 12 percent above league average."

Has to be better ways to integrate advanced analysis than that.

This is, in many ways, the worst article I have ever seen.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #646 on: March 10, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 09, 2014, 05:10:51 AM
Quote from: Bort on March 08, 2014, 03:53:07 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 07, 2014, 06:11:36 PM
Quote from: Brownie on March 07, 2014, 03:49:32 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 07, 2014, 03:13:03 PM
I also wish Pete Rose would hurry up and die so they can put him in the Hall Of Fame.

Quote10. There's still a ton we probably don't know about Rose's gambling. This has always seemed the shutdown argument. When Rose voluntarily agreed to his ban, part of the deal was MLB would halt its investigation of him. That's to say: There may have been far more gambling involvement with Rose than we know now. Do we know that? No. But we do know that when Rose agreed to his ban, he did so in large part so the investigation would stop. As Matt Snyder from CBS Sportsline put it: "We'll never know what more the investigation would have found and revealed, but we do know Rose wanted badly enough for it to stop that he cut the deal and volunteered to be banned from baseball for life."

Fuck Rose.

This.

Quote from: InternetApex on March 07, 2014, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: CBStew on March 07, 2014, 01:30:34 PM
Quote from: Slaky on March 07, 2014, 01:18:22 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 07, 2014, 01:09:46 PM
Gambling is bad, juicing is good.

Still can't do an article without mentioning the "cards"
This article is the most imbecilic thing that Leitch has ever written.  That is really saying something.

I'm sure he works in plenty of douchebaggery in support - unreadable to be sure - but I agree with all ten of his main points completely. 

That, too.

Yep, and yep.

Ditto and tritto.

Apart from point 6, clearly:

Quote from: Leitch
"There's still not a ton of proof that PEDs work the way many claim. We know throwing games works. Many intelligent observers have long argued that the supposed "steroid era" of baseball might in fact have been a juiced ball era; the only proof we have so far of the benefits of PEDs have been in helping players recover from injury and workouts.  (There has been no connection proven between taking PEDs and being able to hit a baseball, farther or otherwise.)

[emphasis is mine]

This bugs the shit out of me.  It's not too far removed from the surprisingly commonly-held notion that steroids, somehow, magically make you stronger even if you sit on your arse all day long.  The whole fucking point of steroids, and the whole reason that professional athletes use them, is that they help them to recover faster from injury and, especially, workouts.  If you recover from your workout faster, you can work out more often and harder, and your physical development, firstly, is accelerated and secondly, can be maintained at a level that wouldn't otherwise be possible.  Thus, you can hit (or throw) a fucking baseball harder.  Guh.

Oh, the horror.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #647 on: March 10, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 09, 2014, 10:28:59 PM
I'm all for increased statistical analysis in baseball, but this expression of Bernstein's wet dream would make broadcasts unlistenable:

QuoteSo no more, "He took a really good route to that ball." That now becomes, "Here you see what would have been a perfect route to that ball, and Mike Trout does a remarkable job of keeping 94 percent route-efficiency."

QuoteNo more, "Yu Darvish is really getting great rotation on his curveball." That's now, "His curve is averaging 1700 RPM, which is 100 more than it did in his last start and 12 percent above league average."

This is, in many ways, the worst article I have ever seen.

Although I do like the comparison of Hawk Harrelson to a combination of a dead guy and Paula Deen.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #648 on: March 10, 2014, 09:32:52 AM »

Good Christ that is terrible. Not even the biggest Yeti on the Baseball Prospectus subscriber list wants to hear that shit.

Here's a wacky announcer idea: just base your opinions of players' skills on evidence, not feelings. Leave the in-depth stats analysis for the interwebs. Now give me a radio show.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #649 on: March 10, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »
I thought we all agreed Barry Bonds, while an asshole, is the best player ever. If we don't we should. We should agree on that right now.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #650 on: March 10, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »
Quote from: Bort on March 10, 2014, 09:32:52 AM

Good Christ that is terrible. Not even the biggest Yeti on the Baseball Prospectus subscriber list wants to hear that shit.

Here's a wacky announcer idea: just base your opinions of players' skills on evidence, not feelings. Leave the in-depth stats analysis for the interwebs. Now give me a radio show.

I'm excited that this technology exists, but you're right that it sucks for a broadcast. Tennis has actually had some of this stuff for a few years now thanks to the Hawk-Eye system and it'll get tossed out on occasion that Rafael Nadal's forehand is 4,000 RPM. Cool, I guess, but it doesn't mean anything without context and just clunks up the broadcast.

Front offices, on the other hand, should be wetting their pants about all this data.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #651 on: March 10, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 10, 2014, 09:44:58 AM

I'm excited that this technology exists, but you're right that it sucks for a broadcast. Tennis has actually had some of this stuff for a few years now thanks to the Hawk-Eye system and it'll get tossed out on occasion that Rafael Nadal's forehand is 4,000 RPM. Cool, I guess, but it doesn't mean anything without context and just clunks up the broadcast.

Front offices, on the other hand, should be wetting their pants about all this data.

The thing about it is that there's nothing inconsistent with the commentator "quotes" Bernstein says will be a thing of the past and this data he thinks will bring us analytics nirvana.

I think it will be less a case of "no more 'he took a really good route to that ball'" than one of "[ques up shiny, Fox DTrax-enhanced replay showing with fancy, glowing lines in the outfield how closely a fielder's actual route to the ball tracked the 'ideal' route] Wow! He took good really route to that ball right there!"
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #652 on: March 10, 2014, 10:33:26 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 10, 2014, 10:17:52 AM

The thing about it is that there's nothing inconsistent with the commentator "quotes" Bernstein says will be a thing of the past and this data he thinks will bring us analytics nirvana.

I think it will be less a case of "no more 'he took a really good route to that ball'" than one of "[ques up shiny, Fox DTrax-enhanced replay showing with fancy, glowing lines in the outfield how closely a fielder's actual route to the ball tracked the 'ideal' route] Wow! He took good really route to that ball right there!"

Bernstein makes me want to hate facts out of spite.

Imagine a Bernstein-Kenny program.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #653 on: March 10, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 10, 2014, 10:33:26 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 10, 2014, 10:17:52 AM

Bernstein makes me want to hate facts out of spite.

Imagine a Bernstein-Kenny program.

Today, on Baseball Assholes:

SPEAKING TRUTH TO THE PITCHER WIN PEASANTS!
THEN WE'LL EXPLAIN WHY ANYONE WHO LIKES RBIs IS PROBABLY A CHILD RAPIST!
The Cubs have hired a new beer vendor.... BUT DOES THAT GET THEM CLOSER TO WINNING A WORLD SERIES????
AND: JOIN US FOR ANOTHER LINE-BY-LINE, PLAY-AND-PAUSE CRITIQUE OF HAWK HARRELSON'S ENTIRE GAME TAPE!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #654 on: March 10, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
I think having this type of data at a broadcaster's disposal is only as good as the broadcaster using it. Telling somebody the number of RPM on a breaking ball would be horrendous if it were Hawk Harrelson talking about it, because he can be talking about naked chicks and shit blowing up and it would suck. Besides, data like pitch RPM is useless without context. The Hawks of the world would never be bothered to provide that.

At the same time, if Lou Boudreau were still alive and in his prime, he'd overanalyze it as if he were talking about the different grass heights in a single major league infield - interesting data at a high level, but you really wouldn't want a deep dive while you're having a beer and listening/watching.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #655 on: March 11, 2014, 05:58:10 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 10, 2014, 02:37:51 PM
I think having this type of data at a broadcaster's disposal is only as good as the broadcaster using it. Telling somebody the number of RPM on a breaking ball would be horrendous if it were Hawk Harrelson talking about it, because he can be talking about naked chicks and shit blowing up and it would suck. Besides, data like pitch RPM is useless without context. The Hawks of the world would never be bothered to provide that.

At the same time, if Lou Boudreau were still alive and in his prime, he'd overanalyze it as if he were talking about the different grass heights in a single major league infield - interesting data at a high level, but you really wouldn't want a deep dive while you're having a beer and listening/watching.

LUBE UDEROW!
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #656 on: March 11, 2014, 07:52:30 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 10, 2014, 09:42:32 AM
I thought we all agreed Barry Bonds, while an asshole, is the best player ever. If we don't we should. We should agree on that right now.

Intrepid Reader: Babe Ruth

Hi.
TIME TO POST!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #657 on: March 11, 2014, 08:29:22 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 11, 2014, 07:52:30 AM

Hi.

I'd agree with that. And if Bonds missed 3.5 years of his prime while killing Nazis and Communists, I'd put him at #2. That said...

Intrepid Reader: Ted Williams

Why hello there.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #658 on: March 11, 2014, 08:36:16 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on March 11, 2014, 08:29:22 AM

Hi.

I'd agree with that. And if Bonds missed 3.5 years of his prime while killing Nazis and Communists, I'd put him at #2. That said...

Why hello there.

Intrepid Readers: 40 Theriots

But we win ball games.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #659 on: March 11, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
Quote from: Bort on March 11, 2014, 08:36:16 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on March 11, 2014, 08:29:22 AM

Hi.

Why hello there.

Intrepid Readers: 40 Theriots

But we win ball games.

What's the marginal Value Over Replacement Nazi-Killer of a Theriot?