News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,115 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #945 on: April 14, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
Brett clears up the whole Jon Lester thing:

QuoteThere are reasons for mild concern about some aspects, but not yet any reason to be seriously concerned, overall.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #946 on: April 14, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 14, 2015, 10:08:55 AM

QuoteThere are reasons for mild concern about some aspects, but not yet any reason to be seriously concerned, overall.

If you can't ever bitch about the highly paid free agent looking like ass in his first start without being accused of meatball fatalism, why watch sports?

Lester looks like a guy who had a dead arm in spring training and still isn't where he wants to be. He's having trouble locating his pitches. It's fine to say that it sucks that it turns out his dead arm that was "not an issue" turned out to be an issue while still having the expectation that he'll get it straightened out. If I have one more person tell me "ITS TOO EARLY" for the mere observation that "wow, he kinda looks like shit right now", I'll post their head on a pike for all the world to see.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #947 on: April 14, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 14, 2015, 10:28:37 AM

If you can't ever bitch about the highly paid free agent looking like ass in his first start without being accused of meatball fatalism, why watch sports?

Lester looks like a guy who had a dead arm in spring training and still isn't where he wants to be. He's having trouble locating his pitches. It's fine to say that it sucks that it turns out his dead arm that was "not an issue" turned out to be an issue while still having the expectation that he'll get it straightened out. If I have one more person tell me "ITS TOO EARLY" for the mere observation that "wow, he kinda looks like shit right now", I'll post their head on a pike for all the world to see.

I haven't SEEN either of his starts. I was working/driving and only heard on the radio, relying on the eagle eye of Ron Coomer to tell me how his fastball and breaking balls were acting. If any of you watched last night, what did you, or better yet, what did JD say about Lester's performance?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #948 on: April 14, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #949 on: April 14, 2015, 10:54:41 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 14, 2015, 10:31:46 AM

I haven't SEEN either of his starts. I was working/driving and only heard on the radio, relying on the eagle eye of Ron Coomer to tell me how his fastball and breaking balls were acting. If any of you watched last night, what did you, or better yet, what did JD say about Lester's performance?

I thought his curveball looked good, but he didn't throw many. I don't remember seeing anybody make good contact on his offspeed stuff.

His fastball velocity seemed like it was a little down and dropped off further as he got deeper in to the game -- I remember seeing it around 86-87 in his last inning but it's possible those were just cutters without much movement.

Seemed like he got squeezed on a few calls on the corners and responded by throwing some really hittable mistakes down the heart.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #950 on: April 14, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
If any of you watched last night, what did you, or better yet, what did JD say about Lester's performance?

He was getting hit hard a lot. His average fastball velocity last night was down about 2 mph from last year, which is obviously quite a bit. It seems to me like his stuff just isn't quite there yet and that it's less a command problem.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #951 on: April 14, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 10:55:07 AM
If any of you watched last night, what did you, or better yet, what did JD say about Lester's performance?

He was getting hit hard a lot. His average fastball velocity last night was down about 2 mph from last year, which is obviously quite a bit. It seems to me like his stuff just isn't quite there yet and that it's less a command problem.

That is what I was afraid of. Boston and Oakland rode the shit out of him the past two seasons. This dead arm may be just that - a dead arm - one that needs to be shut down for a few weeks with an extended Spring Training and a few minor league rehab starts to get right. Hope I'm wrong.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #952 on: April 14, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »

I think that's why the ITS TOO EARLY shit bothers me. Obviously the spring training injury that we were told wasn't an issue was an issue. He's not in season shape yet and he'll probably be fine once he is, but it's fair to wonder just how long it's gonna take him to get up to speed and wonder how many games it might cost the team before he does without being a ledge jumper.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #953 on: April 14, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 14, 2015, 11:04:58 AM

I think that's why the ITS TOO EARLY shit bothers me. Obviously the spring training injury that we were told wasn't an issue was an issue. He's not in season shape yet and he'll probably be fine once he is, but it's fair to wonder just how long it's gonna take him to get up to speed and wonder how many games it might cost the team before he does without being a ledge jumper.

So far, none.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #954 on: April 14, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »

I think Twitter is the problem, since people don't have room to fully explain their points. If you say "Lester doesn't look very good at the moment" people assume you're actually saying "Lester is bad and this contract was a mistake." I do not have a solution.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #955 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 11:11:21 AM

I think Twitter is the problem, since people don't have room to fully explain their points. If you say "Lester doesn't look very good at the moment" people assume you're actually saying "Lester is bad and this contract was a mistake." I do not have a solution.

Pretty much.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #956 on: April 14, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 14, 2015, 11:21:14 AM

Pretty much.

I love Twitter much more than the BookFaces (burn it with fire) but the lack of nuance sucks (though it still doesn't/didn't exist with facebook).

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #957 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:05 AM »

I read a fair amount of that talk on Facebook from the type of people who don't understand the Epstink Is Terrible joke is on them.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #958 on: April 14, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 14, 2015, 11:32:05 AM

I read a fair amount of that talk on Facebook from the type of people who don't understand the Epstink Is Terrible joke is on them.

and the one guy who took it too far and just posted something unfunny every single day in terrible meatballese.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #959 on: April 14, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 14, 2015, 11:30:54 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 14, 2015, 11:21:14 AM

Pretty much.

I love Twitter much more than the BookFaces (burn it with fire) but the lack of nuance sucks (though it still doesn't/didn't exist with facebook).

Actually, it still does and did.