News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,057 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1155 on: January 26, 2016, 07:23:39 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 25, 2016, 09:05:41 PM
This isn't totally unreadable, but thoughts on The Athletic? You know, if anyone has any thoughts about it at all.

They have some good writers and I hope the site succeeds, but for $10/month, I'm skeptical. The NY Times is $15/month. Netflix is $7.99/month. Adobe has software plans for $10/month that require thousands of hours of development and maintenance to produce. It seems like a pretty steep cost for local sportswriting given all of the completely free (or, rather, ad-supported) alternatives that are out there.

I think that if you support the concept of independent journalism, it might be worth the $10 just to do your small part in helping them succeed.

I'd also argue that $10/month for good journalism isn't expensive, but $8/month for Netflix is a ridiculously good bargain, as is $10/month for Adobe. Hell, I pay $5 a month for a good VPN.

Full disclosure: I have no intention to subscribe to the Athletic.
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1156 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 26, 2016, 07:23:39 AM
This isn't totally unreadable, but thoughts on The Athletic? You know, if anyone has any thoughts about it at all.

They have some good writers and I hope the site succeeds, but for $10/month, I'm skeptical. The NY Times is $15/month. Netflix is $7.99/month. Adobe has software plans for $10/month that require thousands of hours of development and maintenance to produce. It seems like a pretty steep cost for local sportswriting given all of the completely free (or, rather, ad-supported) alternatives that are out there.

I think that if you support the concept of independent journalism, it might be worth the $10 just to do your small part in helping them succeed.

I'd also argue that $10/month for good journalism isn't expensive, but $8/month for Netflix is a ridiculously good bargain, as is $10/month for Adobe. Hell, I pay $5 a month for a good VPN.

Yeah, the value relative to other subscription services isn't very good.

And I do totally get the idea of supporting independent journalism. But I'm not sure they're looking to be viewed as a charitable cause.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1157 on: January 26, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 26, 2016, 08:20:02 AM

And I do totally get the idea of supporting independent journalism. But I'm not sure they're looking to be viewed as a charitable cause.

The worst value listed is 15 bucks for the NYT. You don't even get anything to wrap fish in anymore.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1158 on: January 26, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »

Yeah if I was still single and childless I probably wouldn't think twice about throwing a ten-spot their way.  I know that's not a lot of money but raising kids is goddamn expensive and I have difficulty justifying throwing down $120 a year when I'm trying to save for my kids' college.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1159 on: January 26, 2016, 08:52:15 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 26, 2016, 08:49:53 AM

Yeah if I was still single and childless I probably wouldn't think twice about throwing a ten-spot their way.  I know that's not a lot of money but raising kids is goddamn expensive and I have difficulty justifying throwing down $120 a year when I'm trying to save for my kids' college.

Please, you spend a ten times that on potatoes every fortnight.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1160 on: January 26, 2016, 08:56:33 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 26, 2016, 08:52:15 AM

Please, potatoes are like $0.70 a pound.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1161 on: January 26, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »

Also, why are you talking like an Italian immigrant?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1162 on: January 26, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »

I can't even find $100 a year for Baseball America.  Baseball Prospectus is around 100/yr.  Netflix and SiriusXM use up some more of my cash.

$10 a month, though?  That does seem steep.  To be honest, they do seem to be throwing some money at the writers, getting some good ones.  Sahadev seems truly excited about the opportunity (I imagine BP was pretty much his dream job).

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1163 on: January 26, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 26, 2016, 08:56:33 AM

Please, potatoes are like $0.70 a pound.

I know...that's the joke.

And I was going for more of a Mr. Burns archaism.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1164 on: January 26, 2016, 10:15:30 AM »
The Daily Herald tried erecting a Pay Wall at $19.99/month. They got rid of that in favor of doing the stupid survey before you read an article.

The Chicago Tribune is $7.99/month. That's your bargain. That gets you unlimited views of Tribune, LA Times, Baltimore Sun and whatever other papers Tribune still owns.

The Athletic would be worth considering at about $5/month.

But if you're going to talk about a business model for online publications, a syndicate model in which you pay $10/month and get access to the Athletic AND Crain's AND Rich Miller's Capitol Fax or something like that.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1165 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 26, 2016, 10:15:30 AM
The Daily Herald tried erecting a Pay Wall at $19.99/month. They got rid of that in favor of doing the stupid survey before you read an article.

The Chicago Tribune is $7.99/month. That's your bargain. That gets you unlimited views of Tribune, LA Times, Baltimore Sun and whatever other papers Tribune still owns.

But if you're going to talk about a business model for online publications, a syndicate model in which you pay $10/month and get access to the Athletic AND Crain's AND Rich Miller's Capitol Fax or something like that.

A syndicate model is interesting.  For example, if I could get BA and BP and FG+ and something else for like 15/month, I would probably do that.  The sites could just divide up the money based on article clicks or something that is already being kept track of.  i wonder if something like that would fly or if there's too much uncertainty of revenue.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1166 on: January 26, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »

Gonna be honest. On my Apple Devices, you can read Tribune articles behind a paywall using Reader View.
M'lady.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1167 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »
How do you guys have time to read all this stuff when all of your time is taken up by podcasts?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1168 on: January 26, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 26, 2016, 10:28:36 AM

A syndicate model is interesting.  For example, if I could get BA and BP and FG+ and something else for like 15/month, I would probably do that.  The sites could just divide up the money based on article clicks or something that is already being kept track of.  i wonder if something like that would fly or if there's too much uncertainty of revenue.

You probably do a hybrid model. Local papers should try this. Every once in awhile, I want to read something in the Bloomington, Indiana newspaper, but they have a stupid paywall, and I can't justify paying to read news I have no interest in. But if I could buy a syndicate of newspapers, maybe a local paper here and a ton of local papers across the country.

So maybe you pay each paper some type of flat fee, then a commission based on views.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1169 on: January 26, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 26, 2016, 09:05:55 AM

I can't even find $100 a year for Baseball America.  Baseball Prospectus is around 100/yr.  Netflix and SiriusXM use up some more of my cash.

$10 a month, though?  That does seem steep.  To be honest, they do seem to be throwing some money at the writers, getting some good ones.  Sahadev seems truly excited about the opportunity (I imagine BP was pretty much his dream job).

SQD...

I was way off.  BP annual subscription is like 35 bucks.