News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,114 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1425 on: June 23, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2016, 09:15:13 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2016, 10:07:06 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 22, 2016, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2016, 09:38:04 PM
I mean I'm not gonna judge you for saying it or whatever. I have a special needs cousin who was really hurt by its useage and I've tried to avoid it ever since. To each their own. I'm not trying to be a preachy dick on a fringe messageboard

No offense intended, nor taken, just noting that on the many pages of results that came up when I queried the word "retarded," your 6-year-old remark about Daniel Snyder came up on page one.

OK, let's try this again. Rick Morrissey has no cognitive ability. His column contends that because the Cubs signed Lester and Lackey and Heyward that they didn't need to have shitty 2012, 2013 and 2014.

I saw that. He's trolling and he knows it
As long as we are on the subject of words, would someone give me the definitions of the words "troll" and "trolling"?  I know that as a noun a troll is a gnome-like creature that lives under bridges and steals babies while they sleep.  The verb "trolling" described the act of dropping bait in the water and attempting to attract fish.  However, in the internet world the usage seems vague.  One who is trolling may be someone who is saying things solely for the purpose of provocation, dropping the bait in the internet pond.  He is therefore a troll, without a bridge, right?  (I am trolling for a response, aren't I?)

Yeah, Morrissey isn't stupid. He's also not a joyless prick like Wittenmyer who has an agenda against Theo and Co and looks for the negative slant wherever possible. Morrissey shoots for the lowest common denominator and always has because it's easy to fart out the column and cash his check and get clicks the whole time. I spent years mocking every article the guy wrote on the Bears and his response was to follow me on twitter and favorite any of my tweets about him. He knows damn well what he's doing and thinks it's hysterical when you get mad about it. That is trolling. He doesn't believe what he's saying, he just knows he can get a rise out of people and get people to rage-read it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1426 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »
I mean I'm not gonna judge you for saying it or whatever. I have a special needs cousin who was really hurt by its useage and I've tried to avoid it ever since. To each their own. I'm not trying to be a preachy dick on a fringe messageboard

No offense intended, nor taken, just noting that on the many pages of results that came up when I queried the word "retarded," your 6-year-old remark about Daniel Snyder came up on page one.

OK, let's try this again. Rick Morrissey has no cognitive ability. His column contends that because the Cubs signed Lester and Lackey and Heyward that they didn't need to have shitty 2012, 2013 and 2014.

As long as we are on the subject of words, would someone give me the definitions of the words "troll" and "trolling"?  I know that as a noun a troll is a gnome-like creature that lives under bridges and steals babies while they sleep.  The verb "trolling" described the act of dropping bait in the water and attempting to attract fish.  However, in the internet world the usage seems vague.  One who is trolling may be someone who is saying things solely for the purpose of provocation, dropping the bait in the internet pond.  He is therefore a troll, without a bridge, right?  (I am trolling for a response, aren't I?)

And, while we're on the general topic, can someone explain 'hot take' to me?  I thought it was a derogatory term but, lately, I've think I've seen it used in non-derogatory ways.

Asking for a friend.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1427 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2016, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 22, 2016, 09:19:29 PM
He who is without sin...

Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2010, 06:13:36 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on November 15, 2010, 06:11:27 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2010, 06:02:31 PM
The Redskins, the brilliant minds behind Albert Haynesworth's 100 million dollar contract, gave Donovan McNabb, a 34 year old QB who has started all 16 games just 4 times in 11 years, a 5 year contract extension worth 78 million bucks (40 million guaranteed). Never mind that he's got a 76.0 rating and more INTs than TDs. Nice choice, Dan Snyder.

Yeah, but he was one of the best QBs on the market and they wanted to lock him up. They didn't know he would suck major ass and reveal himself as being on a pretty steep downslope to the end of his career. I mean, had they known all of that, they never would have given him that contract.

I wonder if some part of this has something to do with them wanting to silence the absolutely asinine comments that Shanahan benched McNabb because he's racist (which ignores a loooong history of Shanahan hating every single one of his non-Elway QBs). With any other organization I'd say no, but Dan Snyder is that fucking retarded.

It's true, I said some dumb shit when I was 21. Sometimes people grow up. It's a word I try not to use anymore.

When I was 21 or so, I met a gay dude in college who was a friend of a friend.  I remember we were all sitting around (there were probably 4 or 5 of us, including this dude), getting baked.  We were talking about something and I said something to the effect of, "What a fag."  I realized what I had said and looked over at our buddy.  He was clearly not bothered by it but I felt so awful that I have never, ever used that word again in any derogatory way.

This has stuck with me so much that when Adam Dunn first came up with The Reds, I yelled out at him, "You're a fad,"  when he came to Wrigley.  Never mind that it was a completely stupid joke anyway.  It sounded like I called him a fag.  I was so absolutely ashamed that I'm pretty sure I barely spoke the rest of the game.

Words matter.  Also, we all do and say stupid things when we don't know any better.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1428 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 23, 2016, 09:46:52 AM

And, while we're on the general topic, can someone explain 'hot take' to me?  I thought it was a derogatory term but, lately, I've think I've seen it used in non-derogatory ways.

Asking for a friend.

If you're referring to my Fire Tweets during games those are indeed the hottest of takes and I apologize for none of them, except for all of them. But I will defend to the death my right to tweet them and later regret them, RV be damned.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1429 on: June 23, 2016, 09:56:10 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 09:54:48 AM

Asking for a friend.

If you're referring to my Fire Tweets during games those are indeed the hottest of takes and I apologize for none of them, except for all of them. But I will defend to the death my right to tweet them and later regret them, RV be damned.

I really wasn't.  I wish I could remember the context but I can't.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1430 on: June 23, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 23, 2016, 09:56:10 AM

As long as we are on the subject of words, would someone give me the definitions of the words "troll" and "trolling"?  I know that as a noun a troll is a gnome-like creature that lives under bridges and steals babies while they sleep.  The verb "trolling" described the act of dropping bait in the water and attempting to attract fish.  However, in the internet world the usage seems vague.  One who is trolling may be someone who is saying things solely for the purpose of provocation, dropping the bait in the internet pond.  He is therefore a troll, without a bridge, right?  (I am trolling for a response, aren't I?)

And, while we're on the general topic, can someone explain 'hot take' to me?  I thought it was a derogatory term but, lately, I've think I've seen it used in non-derogatory ways.

Asking for a friend.

I really wasn't.  I wish I could remember the context but I can't.

The term hot take was originally reserved for the special kind of Meatball Old School Columnist who would write something like "JR Smith Not Wearing a Shirt to the Parade Proves the Cavs Aren't Real Champions in Life" or whatever. Then it became shorthand for any poorly thought out sports argument. I don't actually really like when it gets applied to random people just tweeting angrily or whatever, because fans are idiots (and I am the biggest idiot of all), but it was supposed to refer to a specific type of sports journalism that we were trying to root out and now the term is basically meaningless.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1431 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 10:00:00 AM
Quote from: Oleg on June 23, 2016, 09:56:10 AM

As long as we are on the subject of words, would someone give me the definitions of the words "troll" and "trolling"?  I know that as a noun a troll is a gnome-like creature that lives under bridges and steals babies while they sleep.  The verb "trolling" described the act of dropping bait in the water and attempting to attract fish.  However, in the internet world the usage seems vague.  One who is trolling may be someone who is saying things solely for the purpose of provocation, dropping the bait in the internet pond.  He is therefore a troll, without a bridge, right?  (I am trolling for a response, aren't I?)

And, while we're on the general topic, can someone explain 'hot take' to me?  I thought it was a derogatory term but, lately, I've think I've seen it used in non-derogatory ways.

Asking for a friend.

I really wasn't.  I wish I could remember the context but I can't.

The term hot take was originally reserved for the special kind of Meatball Old School Columnist who would write something like "JR Smith Not Wearing a Shirt to the Parade Proves the Cavs Aren't Real Champions in Life" or whatever. Then it became shorthand for any poorly thought out sports argument. I don't actually really like when it gets applied to random people just tweeting angrily or whatever, because fans are idiots (and I am the biggest idiot of all), but it was supposed to refer to a specific type of sports journalism that we were trying to root out and now the term is basically meaningless.

Yeah...that was my impression.  OK...thanks.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1432 on: June 23, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »

Asking for a friend.

Or instead of regretting them you can delete them, like the one wherein you called Jason Heyward "an overpaid sack of shit" this week.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1433 on: June 23, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »

Asking for a friend.

I took your advice and unfollowed, so you don't have to worry about me raining on your rage parade anymore. Maybe someday Twitter will offer me the option of just following you during non-game hours.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1434 on: June 23, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 23, 2016, 10:08:34 AM

Asking for a friend.

Or instead of regretting them you can delete them, like the one wherein you called Jason Heyward "an overpaid sack of shit" this week.

I did delete that one, actually. Sometimes I wake up in an abandoned warehouse in only my shredded purple shorts and think "man, I wish I hadn't done that" and I go back and delete them. Then he'll go 0-4 tonight with 4 groundouts and I'll say it again. I am who I am. I can live with it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1435 on: June 23, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 23, 2016, 10:11:44 AM

Asking for a friend.

I took your advice and unfollowed, so you don't have to worry about me raining on your rage parade anymore. Maybe someday Twitter will offer me the option of just following you during non-game hours.

I really don't mean "unfollow me" in an asshole way. I rage tweet. I have done this for the entirety of the 7 years I have been on twitter and I know I'm not gonna stop, I get that it bugs some people, so, by all means, unfollow. I've been trying to cut down on the Rage Desipio Posting this year. Baby steps.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1436 on: June 23, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 23, 2016, 09:54:00 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2016, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 22, 2016, 09:19:29 PM
He who is without sin...

Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2010, 06:13:36 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on November 15, 2010, 06:11:27 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2010, 06:02:31 PM
The Redskins, the brilliant minds behind Albert Haynesworth's 100 million dollar contract, gave Donovan McNabb, a 34 year old QB who has started all 16 games just 4 times in 11 years, a 5 year contract extension worth 78 million bucks (40 million guaranteed). Never mind that he's got a 76.0 rating and more INTs than TDs. Nice choice, Dan Snyder.

Yeah, but he was one of the best QBs on the market and they wanted to lock him up. They didn't know he would suck major ass and reveal himself as being on a pretty steep downslope to the end of his career. I mean, had they known all of that, they never would have given him that contract.

I wonder if some part of this has something to do with them wanting to silence the absolutely asinine comments that Shanahan benched McNabb because he's racist (which ignores a loooong history of Shanahan hating every single one of his non-Elway QBs). With any other organization I'd say no, but Dan Snyder is that fucking retarded.

It's true, I said some dumb shit when I was 21. Sometimes people grow up. It's a word I try not to use anymore.

When I was 21 or so, I met a gay dude in college who was a friend of a friend.  I remember we were all sitting around (there were probably 4 or 5 of us, including this dude), getting baked.  We were talking about something and I said something to the effect of, "What a fag."  I realized what I had said and looked over at our buddy.  He was clearly not bothered by it but I felt so awful that I have never, ever used that word again in any derogatory way.

This has stuck with me so much that when Adam Dunn first came up with The Reds, I yelled out at him, "You're a fad,"  when he came to Wrigley.  Never mind that it was a completely stupid joke anyway.  It sounded like I called him a fag.  I was so absolutely ashamed that I'm pretty sure I barely spoke the rest of the game.

Words matter.  Also, we all do and say stupid things when we don't know any better.

I've dropped fag from my vocabulary. I'm working on dropping retarded. I still call my friends gay on rare occasions, which I'm not proud of, but it's a work in progress. People evolve to be better towards each other.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1437 on: June 23, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 10:13:23 AM

Asking for a friend.

I really don't mean "unfollow me" in an asshole way. I rage tweet. I have done this for the entirety of the 7 years I have been on twitter and I know I'm not gonna stop, I get that it bugs some people, so, by all means, unfollow. I've been trying to cut down on the Rage Desipio Posting this year. Baby steps.

You can also mute for a set time period, right? I never bother, because I tend to just skim when I don't want to read something.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1438 on: June 23, 2016, 11:29:35 AM »
"You're a fad" is possibly the worst heckle that's ever been heckled.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1439 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 10:13:23 AM

Asking for a friend.

I recently "unfriended" an old college fraternity brother because of a person (troll) who regularly posted extremely offensive right-wing comments on his Facebook site and I just got sick of seeing them.  I saw my friend at a reunion last week and told him what I had done and why, and he told me that the poster to whom I took offense was an American Airlines pilot who was a soft spoken sweetheart of a person.  The internet brings out the best in all of us, doesn't it?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)