News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 196,223 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1440 on: June 23, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 23, 2016, 11:29:35 AM
"You're a fad" is possibly the worst heckle that's ever been heckled.

Tell me about it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1441 on: June 23, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2016, 11:53:44 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 10:13:23 AM
Quote from: R-V on June 23, 2016, 10:11:44 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 09:54:48 AM
Quote from: Oleg on June 23, 2016, 09:46:52 AM
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2016, 09:15:13 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2016, 10:07:06 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 22, 2016, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2016, 09:38:04 PM
I mean I'm not gonna judge you for saying it or whatever. I have a special needs cousin who was really hurt by its useage and I've tried to avoid it ever since. To each their own. I'm not trying to be a preachy dick on a fringe messageboard

No offense intended, nor taken, just noting that on the many pages of results that came up when I queried the word "retarded," your 6-year-old remark about Daniel Snyder came up on page one.

OK, let's try this again. Rick Morrissey has no cognitive ability. His column contends that because the Cubs signed Lester and Lackey and Heyward that they didn't need to have shitty 2012, 2013 and 2014.

I saw that. He's trolling and he knows it
As long as we are on the subject of words, would someone give me the definitions of the words "troll" and "trolling"?  I know that as a noun a troll is a gnome-like creature that lives under bridges and steals babies while they sleep.  The verb "trolling" described the act of dropping bait in the water and attempting to attract fish.  However, in the internet world the usage seems vague.  One who is trolling may be someone who is saying things solely for the purpose of provocation, dropping the bait in the internet pond.  He is therefore a troll, without a bridge, right?  (I am trolling for a response, aren't I?)

And, while we're on the general topic, can someone explain 'hot take' to me?  I thought it was a derogatory term but, lately, I've think I've seen it used in non-derogatory ways.

Asking for a friend.

If you're referring to my Fire Tweets during games those are indeed the hottest of takes and I apologize for none of them, except for all of them. But I will defend to the death my right to tweet them and later regret them, RV be damned.

I took your advice and unfollowed, so you don't have to worry about me raining on your rage parade anymore. Maybe someday Twitter will offer me the option of just following you during non-game hours.

I really don't mean "unfollow me" in an asshole way. I rage tweet. I have done this for the entirety of the 7 years I have been on twitter and I know I'm not gonna stop, I get that it bugs some people, so, by all means, unfollow. I've been trying to cut down on the Rage Desipio Posting this year. Baby steps.
I recently "unfriended" an old college fraternity brother because of a person (troll) who regularly posted extremely offensive right-wing comments on his Facebook site and I just got sick of seeing them.  I saw my friend at a reunion last week and told him what I had done and why, and he told me that the poster to whom I took offense was an American Airlines pilot who was a soft spoken sweetheart of a person.  The internet brings out the best in all of us, doesn't it?

It does. I use twitter as an excuse to vent and spout off about sports and also to bug Bort late at night to talk to him about comic books. In real life I'm usually playing with my son while I'm watching Cubs games, so the disparity between my blood curdling rants online and the fact that I'm actually reading Little Blue Truck for the 7th time that night in real life is pretty funny. I assume most people think I spend games kicking the dog, but I've found tweeting the angry things that Teenage Kyle used to yell at the TV is pretty therapeutic and helps me not to carry stupid sports emotions around in real life.

Of course that's different than using the internet to be a racist a-hole.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1442 on: June 23, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 23, 2016, 10:59:17 AM
Quote from: Oleg on June 23, 2016, 09:54:00 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2016, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 22, 2016, 09:19:29 PM
He who is without sin...

Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2010, 06:13:36 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on November 15, 2010, 06:11:27 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 15, 2010, 06:02:31 PM
The Redskins, the brilliant minds behind Albert Haynesworth's 100 million dollar contract, gave Donovan McNabb, a 34 year old QB who has started all 16 games just 4 times in 11 years, a 5 year contract extension worth 78 million bucks (40 million guaranteed). Never mind that he's got a 76.0 rating and more INTs than TDs. Nice choice, Dan Snyder.

Yeah, but he was one of the best QBs on the market and they wanted to lock him up. They didn't know he would suck major ass and reveal himself as being on a pretty steep downslope to the end of his career. I mean, had they known all of that, they never would have given him that contract.

I wonder if some part of this has something to do with them wanting to silence the absolutely asinine comments that Shanahan benched McNabb because he's racist (which ignores a loooong history of Shanahan hating every single one of his non-Elway QBs). With any other organization I'd say no, but Dan Snyder is that fucking retarded.

It's true, I said some dumb shit when I was 21. Sometimes people grow up. It's a word I try not to use anymore.

When I was 21 or so, I met a gay dude in college who was a friend of a friend.  I remember we were all sitting around (there were probably 4 or 5 of us, including this dude), getting baked.  We were talking about something and I said something to the effect of, "What a fag."  I realized what I had said and looked over at our buddy.  He was clearly not bothered by it but I felt so awful that I have never, ever used that word again in any derogatory way.

This has stuck with me so much that when Adam Dunn first came up with The Reds, I yelled out at him, "You're a fad,"  when he came to Wrigley.  Never mind that it was a completely stupid joke anyway.  It sounded like I called him a fag.  I was so absolutely ashamed that I'm pretty sure I barely spoke the rest of the game.

Words matter.  Also, we all do and say stupid things when we don't know any better.

I've dropped fag from my vocabulary. I'm working on dropping retarded. I still call my friends gay on rare occasions, which I'm not proud of, but it's a work in progress. People evolve to be better towards each other.

I have used unfriendly words in very non-PC ways, when among my closest friends, to be ironic. I realize it's a stupid thing to do, but I kind of feel like I'm actually making fun of the people who say those things sincerely, y'know?
M'lady.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1443 on: June 23, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 23, 2016, 12:00:50 PM

Tell me about it.

Filed under "insults that would make Zooey Deschanel cry."
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1444 on: June 23, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »

Tell me about it.

I'm really wondering what the hell "you're a fad" even means in baseball context and why Oleg thought Adam Dunn would be wounded by this.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1445 on: June 23, 2016, 12:40:17 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 12:34:55 PM

Tell me about it.

I'm really wondering what the hell "you're a fad" even means in baseball context and why Oleg thought Adam Dunn would be wounded by this.

Oleg foresaw the decline of VORP in favor of WAR.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1446 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 23, 2016, 12:40:17 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 12:34:55 PM

Tell me about it.

Oleg foresaw the decline of VORP in favor of WAR.

I want to believe he was telling Adam Dunn that the NSBB crowd wouldn't love him forever.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1447 on: June 23, 2016, 01:11:00 PM »
Desipio: come for the baseball; stay for the hand-wringing.  Can we have more stories about when people called other people nasty names and then openly wept?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1448 on: June 23, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 23, 2016, 01:11:00 PM
Desipio: come for the baseball; stay for the hand-wringing.  Can we have more stories about when people called other people nasty names and then openly wept?

When Rick Ankiel was with the Quad City River Bandits I spent the entire game at the right field wall asking him if they'd let his dad watch his games in prison if he ever gets back to the majors until he eventually flipped me off?

I also screamed "DUCK" every time he fielded the ball.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1449 on: June 23, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 01:26:14 PM
Desipio: come for the baseball; stay for the hand-wringing.  Can we have more stories about when people called other people nasty names and then openly wept?

When Rick Ankiel was with the Quad City River Bandits I spent the entire game at the right field wall asking him if they'd let his dad watch his games in prison if he ever gets back to the majors until he eventually flipped me off?

But how did you feel about it?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1450 on: June 23, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 23, 2016, 01:56:55 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2016, 01:26:14 PM

But how did you feel about it?

At the time proud. Now? Still kinda proud, but ashamed in polite company.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1451 on: June 23, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »
Desipio: come for the baseball; stay for the hand-wringing.  Can we have more stories about when people called other people nasty names and then openly wept?

What a buncha fags.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1452 on: June 23, 2016, 03:30:09 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 23, 2016, 02:55:30 PM

What a buncha fags.
About 30 years ago I was running a marathon in Livermore, California, on city streets.  There were hundreds of us and when we crossed intersections where traffic had not been re-routed cars would have to wait for a break between runners.  Since I was a middle of the pack runner I always had a lot of company around me.  There was an old guy in a pickup truck who, I guess, had been sitting there for a while, yelling "You're all a bunch of fags."  Other than that, I have never been called a fag.  In another race I had just picked up water a table and still had a full cup when I ran by a guy on the side lines who had a bullhorn and was shouting that we were all going to burn in hell.  I don't know why, but I threw my water at him.  He was only using his constitutional right to express his opinion and I was immediately ashamed of myself.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1453 on: June 23, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2016, 03:30:09 PM

What a buncha fags.
About 30 years ago I was running a marathon in Livermore, California, on city streets.  There were hundreds of us and when we crossed intersections where traffic had not been re-routed cars would have to wait for a break between runners.  Since I was a middle of the pack runner I always had a lot of company around me.  There was an old guy in a pickup truck who, I guess, had been sitting there for a while, yelling "You're all a bunch of fags."  Other than that, I have never been called a fag.  In another race I had just picked up water a table and still had a full cup when I ran by a guy on the side lines who had a bullhorn and was shouting that we were all going to burn in hell.  I don't know why, but I threw my water at him.  He was only using his constitutional right to express his opinion and I was immediately ashamed of myself.

You should have yelled "Free baptism!"
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1454 on: June 24, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 23, 2016, 09:43:29 PM
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2016, 03:30:09 PM

What a buncha fags.

You should have yelled "Free baptism!"

I laughed at a Forkjoke and now I'm ashamed of myself.