News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Chicago Blackhawks 2010-11 Title Defense/Capocalypse/Kyle Beach Murder Thread  ( 62,345 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
While eating dinner, NRK (Norwegian Public Radio) was running through the day's news. Not only did they surprisingly mention the death of Mr. Steinbrenner, they also mentioned the dismemberment of one Mathis Olimb today. It was disorienting to hear the words "Chicago Blackhawks" amidst a bunch of Norsk nonsense but there it was.

Kyle Beach has been advised not to come here. 

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on July 13, 2010, 03:02:01 PM
While eating dinner, NRK (Norwegian Public Radio) was running through the day's news. Not only did they surprisingly mention the death of Mr. Steinbrenner, they also mentioned the dismemberment of one Mathis Olimb today. It was disorienting to hear the words "Chicago Blackhawks" amidst a bunch of Norsk nonsense but there it was.

If Kyle Beach can locate Norway on a map, I'll be greatly surprised.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on July 13, 2010, 03:17:32 PM

If he can locate Norway in Oslo, I'll be greatly surprised.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on July 13, 2010, 03:18:55 PM
Quote from: CT III on July 13, 2010, 03:17:32 PM

If he can locate Norway in Oslo, I'll be greatly surprised.

He's a first-round pick making over a million a year. He can hire someone to do the thinking for him.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
From what I understood, if the Hawks buy out Huet, his salary would go off the books.  Why don't they do that instead of losing all their depth?  Or am I just completely off base and missing something?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: air2300 on July 13, 2010, 10:17:48 PM
From what I understood, if the Hawks buy out Huet, his salary would go off the books.  Why don't they do that instead of losing all their depth?  Or am I just completely off base and missing something?

If the Hawks buy out Huet, there will be a cap hit, which will then be spread over twice the years left on the contract.  The only way to get out from under his salary completely is to either trade him or waive him and send him to the minors.  The Hawks probably can't get anybody to take him, and they can't send him down until October.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on July 13, 2010, 10:28:59 PM
Quote from: air2300 on July 13, 2010, 10:17:48 PM
From what I understood, if the Hawks buy out Huet, his salary would go off the books.  Why don't they do that instead of losing all their depth?  Or am I just completely off base and missing something?

If the Hawks buy out Huet, there will be a cap hit, which will then be spread over twice the years left on the contract.  The only way to get out from under his salary completely is to either trade him or waive him and send him to the minors.  The Hawks probably can't get anybody to take him, and they can't send him down until October.

It's also not a matter of either offloading Huet's money or trading away overpriced depth.

The Hawks need to do both. And, even then, shit's still really tight.

The minimum roster size is 20 and the minimum salary for 2010-11 is $500,000. At present, the Hawks have 15 players signed and only around $113,410 worth of cap space left to work with.

Obviously it's impossible to squeeze 5 NHL salaries into that space.

That's where Huet's $5.625MM cap hit becomes so important, along the Hawks' ability to be as much as 10% ($5.94MM) over the cap until the start of the season (when they're free to waive Huet and free up his space for realz).
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
And a reminder re: buy-outs:

Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 01, 2010, 12:14:16 PM
Quote from: BH on July 01, 2010, 11:54:02 AM
Quote from: air2300 on July 01, 2010, 11:48:32 AM
Salary cap question for you guys from someone who knows nothing about NHL salary cap.  If they cut Huet, will his salary still count against the cap?

They'd probably just bury him in the minors.. that wouldn't count.

They can buy out his contract and save 1/3 off the $11.25 million they owe him while taking a $1.875 million per year cap hit over four years in place of $5.625 million per over two.

Or they can waive him and pay him the full $11.25 million (or most of it, anyway) to go play in Europe while wiping him off of the salary cap rolls completely.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 13, 2010, 10:55:48 PM
And a reminder re: buy-outs:

Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 01, 2010, 12:14:16 PM
Quote from: BH on July 01, 2010, 11:54:02 AM
Quote from: air2300 on July 01, 2010, 11:48:32 AM
Salary cap question for you guys from someone who knows nothing about NHL salary cap.  If they cut Huet, will his salary still count against the cap?

They'd probably just bury him in the minors.. that wouldn't count.

They can buy out his contract and save 1/3 off the $11.25 million they owe him while taking a $1.875 million per year cap hit over four years in place of $5.625 million per over two.

Or they can waive him and pay him the full $11.25 million (or most of it, anyway) to go play in Europe while wiping him off of the salary cap rolls completely.
This is what I was confused about.  I didn't know they had to wait until the start of the season waive him.   

Anyways, hopefully all the young guys they are picking up will fit in with the team. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Skille signed for 1 year - http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2010/07/skille_hawks_agree_to_one-year.html

Bickell also believed to be signed, likely for at least a couple of years. No details on money for either yet.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Know what's worse than the Hawks' Cap situation?

The Flyers' Cap situation - they just gave Dan Carcillo a million bucks, they're $2MM over the Cap, and they don't have the privilege of putting a picture of the Stanley Cup on their program.
TIME TO POST!

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on July 15, 2010, 07:57:32 AM

The Flyers' Cap situation - they just gave Dan Carcillo a million bucks, they're $2MM over the Cap, and they don't have the privilege of putting a picture of the Stanley Cup on their program.

Because this never gets old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zjzxP3utNM

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Waco Kid on July 15, 2010, 08:34:04 AM

I usually try to avoid youtube comments like Yeti avoids salads, but this made me chuckle:

Quotephilly resigned carcillo
apparently jeff carter didnt learn his lesson the first time
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Waco Kid on July 15, 2010, 08:34:04 AM

KoPECKy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiJeJBEm5d8&feature=related
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.