News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord  ( 68,558 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on January 07, 2011, 11:17:30 PM
He has 5 years worth of MLB data at this point....so I'm not compelled by what his minor league numbers were.  They sort of don't matter at this point.

The point of looking at Garza's minor league numbers was not to convince you that Garza's teh frigging awelsome. It was about having some perspective re: Archer's minor league success and his major league ceiling...

Quote from: Eli on January 07, 2011, 08:17:29 PM
His minor league numbers are pretty good, but they're not otherworldly like, say, Matt Garza's minor league numbers were.

Compared to Archer's 70 innings in AA, Garza's a relative known quantity and that itself is worth something.

(And, yeah, you're probably right that that sort of thing worth more to a team in the hunt than it is to a team few expect to contend for anything that matters—with the flexibility to 'see how it plays out.' But it has value nonetheless.)
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »
The Cubs are going to be a lot better than you turds think this year. What that means, I don't know but regardless, they're working toward 2012 when some big contracts expire. At that point, a starter of Garza's caliber would be a major priority. And the prospects they traded today may never have the value of Garza again. By this time next year at least two of them could be injured or signifcantly lower-rated. And dipshit Cub fans would sit around and bitch because Hendry let them rot on the vine when he could have gotten value for them.

Hendry traded DeRo at the last possible opportunity to receive value in return. Look at the value he received? Chris Fucking Archer, so fucking great he got traded for Matt Armcock Garza. Now, guess what, those contracts are Still coming off the books in 2012, and they've already scored a frontline starter.

So shut your lip, drink your Miller Lite and beat off to your Baseball Prospectus pinup calendar.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2011, 12:09:36 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 07, 2011, 11:57:27 PM
So shut your lip, drink your Miller Lite and beat off to your Baseball Prospectus pinup calendar.

I only do that on Tuesdays.

And Thursdays.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2011, 12:12:02 AM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on January 08, 2011, 12:09:36 AM

I only do that on Tuesdays.

And Thursdays.

They don't call you Lance Dicksons Armcock for no reason.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2011, 12:12:14 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 07, 2011, 09:51:41 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 07, 2011, 08:33:44 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on January 07, 2011, 08:00:36 PM
Archer won the organizational pitching triple crown.  I'm not sure where the idea comes from that becoming Garza is his ceiling.

Because most analysts have referred to him as having the ceiling of a No. 2/3 starter due to his control issues.  Some were even talking about eventually moving him to the bullpen because of his command.  Even when he had such good results at AA last year, he was walking over 5 guys per 9 innings.  His minor league numbers are pretty good, but they're not otherworldly like, say, Matt Garza's minor league numbers were.

If a team develops a prospect who turns out to be a No. 2/3 starter, that's a great showing for their farm system.  It's an even better showing if they can trade that prospect for a pitcher who's already proven he's a No. 2 starter.  

Archer has promise, but unless he magically figures out how to cut his walks in half as he faces tougher competition, he's not going to turn into an ace.

Summarize your exact feelings and justification for this trade into a couple sentences that I can condescendingly pass off to my friends as my own thoughts.

He is an extremely talented if somewhat controversial player entering the prime of his career. But his attitude and ability to lead are widely questioned. He can be brilliant and he can be otherwise and he can be a royal dick. When he entered the league, he was touted as a future star, though has yet to actually crack the ceiling that his ability suggests. The team gave up a fortune for him and it was worth it because...

ARMCOCK!

That work?

I'm on board the TRAINWAGONTM
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2011, 08:28:25 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 08, 2011, 12:12:14 AM
Archer won the organizational pitching triple crown.  I'm not sure where the idea comes from that becoming Garza is his ceiling.

Because most analysts have referred to him as having the ceiling of a No. 2/3 starter due to his control issues.  Some were even talking about eventually moving him to the bullpen because of his command.  Even when he had such good results at AA last year, he was walking over 5 guys per 9 innings.  His minor league numbers are pretty good, but they're not otherworldly like, say, Matt Garza's minor league numbers were.

If a team develops a prospect who turns out to be a No. 2/3 starter, that's a great showing for their farm system.  It's an even better showing if they can trade that prospect for a pitcher who's already proven he's a No. 2 starter.  

Archer has promise, but unless he magically figures out how to cut his walks in half as he faces tougher competition, he's not going to turn into an ace.

Summarize your exact feelings and justification for this trade into a couple sentences that I can condescendingly pass off to my friends as my own thoughts.

He is an extremely talented if somewhat controversial player entering the prime of his career. But his attitude and ability to lead are widely questioned. He can be brilliant and he can be otherwise and he can be a royal dick. When he entered the league, he was touted as a future star, though has yet to actually crack the ceiling that his ability suggests. The team gave up a fortune for him and it was worth it because...

ARMCOCK!

That work?

You know that's just a stripped down hatemobile, right?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 08, 2011, 08:28:25 AM
Quote from: Bort on January 08, 2011, 12:12:14 AM

ARMCOCK!

That work?

You know that's just a stripped down hatemobile, right?

These days all I can afford is a Hatejalopy.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »
The Cubs are going to be a lot better than you turds think this year. What that means, I don't know but regardless, they're working toward 2012 when some big contracts expire. At that point, a starter of Garza's caliber would be a major priority. And the prospects they traded today may never have the value of Garza again. By this time next year at least two of them could be injured or signifcantly lower-rated. And dipshit Cub fans would sit around and bitch because Hendry let them rot on the vine when he could have gotten value for them.

Hendry traded DeRo at the last possible opportunity to receive value in return. Look at the value he received? Chris Fucking Archer, so fucking great he got traded for Matt Armcock Garza. Now, guess what, those contracts are Still coming off the books in 2012, and they've already scored a frontline starter.

Pretty much all of this. Hendry's dumb, but he's not dumb enough to ignore all the money coming off the books after 2011.

Remember the good ol' days when we disagreed on everything?  Me neither, Apex. Me neither.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
Not a single "Guys like Matt Garza grow on trees" joke this whole thread.  Good work, everyone.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 08, 2011, 09:14:30 AM

Pretty much all of this. Hendry's dumb, but he's not dumb enough to ignore all the money coming off the books after 2011.

Remember the good ol' days when we disagreed on everything?  Me neither, Apex. Me neither.

Apparently, I got a lot smarter and you got a lot dumber. And vice versa.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2011, 10:15:21 AM »
I'm not sure why anyone would be against this trade.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »
I don't remember ARMCOCK ever being applicable to baseball. I should have trademarked that shit when I had the chance.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »
Quote from: JD on January 08, 2011, 10:15:21 AM

I'm against the guy who made it.  Does that count?

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #478 on: January 08, 2011, 01:11:01 PM »

I'm not strongly against it, but I also don't think the trade is all sunshine and rainbows.

I don't have much of any faith in Cubs 'prospects', but it seems like giving away the
chance for some cheap useful years for the right to pay Garza a lot of money.  And
the thing is that I just don't think a ton of Garza.  Maybe it's because he looks like
Matt Clement with a spray tan.  I am very skeptical that the AL East->NL Central
move will be a bigger impact than the Rays Defense->Cubs Defense, and
Tropicana->Wrigley for a severe fly ball pitcher.

If you think that Garza will be a big contributor for the Cubs then it's definitely it's a
hell of a good trade.  I just don't see that as the case.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #479 on: January 08, 2011, 01:18:36 PM »
Quote from: Pre on January 08, 2011, 01:11:01 PM

I'm not strongly against it, but I also don't think the trade is all sunshine and rainbows.

I don't have much of any faith in Cubs 'prospects', but it seems like giving away the
chance for some cheap useful years for the right to pay Garza a lot of money.  And
the thing is that I just don't think a ton of Garza.  Maybe it's because he looks like
Matt Clement with a spray tan.  I am very skeptical that the AL East->NL Central
move will be a bigger impact than the Rays Defense->Cubs Defense, and
Tropicana->Wrigley for a severe fly ball pitcher.

If you think that Garza will be a big contributor for the Cubs then it's definitely it's a
hell of a good trade.  I just don't see that as the case.

He looks more like Joaquin Benoit to me.