News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive  ( 102,075 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive
« Reply #345 on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:52 AM »
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/04/angelo-continues-bears-shakeup-gabriel-out.html

Is it me, or is the least logical time to fire your college scouting director the day after the last day of the NFL draft?
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: April 28, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on April 28, 2010, 09:24:52 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/04/angelo-continues-bears-shakeup-gabriel-out.html

Is it me, or is the least logical time to fire your college scouting director the day after the last day of the NFL draft?

Well, they let both Rod Graves and Mark Hatley go AFTER the draft in 1997 and 2001, so it's kind of par for the course for this organization.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: June 17, 2010, 09:12:51 AM »
Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned meatball, but am I the only one who finds it strange that the Bears offensive line didn't use a blocking sled during the Hiestand era?

QuoteThe routine has been a fresh one too. Tice has brought back blocking sleds to practice, something the offensive linemen haven't seen - or at least used - in a long time at Halas Hall. They weren't part of the coaching technique used by Harry Hiestand, who coached the line for the past five seasons under former coordinator Ron Turner. A lot of NFL players will roll their eyes at discussions about blocking sleds. But Tice stood on a five-man sled barking out instructions to the players on Wednesday, and Garza seemed to welcome the change.

"For old-time's sake, it's good," he said. "It's part of football. We've all been doing this. It's good. Anytime you get a chance to hit something and move it and get in the right position with leverage, it's good. It's heavy as hell so it's fun. I can't complain."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:15 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 17, 2010, 09:12:51 AM
Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned meatball, but am I the only one who finds it strange that the Bears offensive line didn't use a blocking sled during the Hiestand era?

QuoteThe routine has been a fresh one too. Tice has brought back blocking sleds to practice, something the offensive linemen haven't seen - or at least used - in a long time at Halas Hall. They weren't part of the coaching technique used by Harry Hiestand, who coached the line for the past five seasons under former coordinator Ron Turner. A lot of NFL players will roll their eyes at discussions about blocking sleds. But Tice stood on a five-man sled barking out instructions to the players on Wednesday, and Garza seemed to welcome the change.

"For old-time's sake, it's good," he said. "It's part of football. We've all been doing this. It's good. Anytime you get a chance to hit something and move it and get in the right position with leverage, it's good. It's heavy as hell so it's fun. I can't complain."

Not surprisingly, there's a lot of dirt about Turner and Hiestand coming out now. I don't know if that means Martz and Tice are automatic upgrades...but there were some very strange and stupid things going on in the day-to-day approach by those two. As much as I hated the meathead and his pencil when he was in Minnesota, I've really liked the things I've heard him say about the offensive line. He's going to use a lot of zone blocking, which Turner never used, and try to use some different matchups and protections rather than Turner's idiotic insistence on a power run game when they don't have the personnel to win 1 on 1 matchups on the offensive line every time.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: June 17, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »

I think it's strange, but I don't think it's something that hindered the offensive line. I mean, the sled is a non-moving object. Blocking it is no different than running drills with guys with pads in front of them, like a defense that will react to the play but their intention is not to tackle the RB, just to give the offense a look at what people will do in the game. The sled does give a nice repetition of the proper blocking technique, but the instances in a game are completely different. Very rarely does anyone actually get their hands exactly where they're supposed to be, which from my experience, it's best to grab them right under the shoulder pads in the chest, and that's not where most lineman get to grab their guy.. So my neanderthal assessment is that while it could be a nice refresher, the sled is probably insignificant.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: June 17, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 17, 2010, 10:04:33 AM

I think it's strange, but I don't think it's something that hindered the offensive line. I mean, the sled is a non-moving object. Blocking it is no different than running drills with guys with pads in front of them, like a defense that will react to the play but their intention is not to tackle the RB, just to give the offense a look at what people will do in the game. The sled does give a nice repetition of the proper blocking technique, but the instances in a game are completely different. Very rarely does anyone actually get their hands exactly where they're supposed to be, which from my experience, it's best to grab them right under the shoulder pads in the chest, and that's not where most lineman get to grab their guy.. So my neanderthal assessment is that while it could be a nice refresher, the sled is probably insignificant.

Yeah, I think the sled is overrated, however, I think it's more useful than having the guy holding the pads as far as run blocking goes because I think the sled is better at encouraging you to block lower.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #351 on: June 17, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »

The importance I see is not in the sled itself but with the last offensive coaching staff not using every teaching tool available to them. The sled is not a be all, end all , but why unnecessarily limit yourselves by not having it at all. In any event, Turner and Hiestand are idiots.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #352 on: June 17, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 17, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Not surprisingly, there's a lot of dirt about Turner and Hiestand coming out now. I don't know if that means Martz and Tice are automatic upgrades...but there were some very strange and stupid things going on in the day-to-day approach by those two. As much as I hated the meathead and his pencil when he was in Minnesota, I've really liked the things I've heard him say about the offensive line. He's going to use a lot of zone blocking, which Turner never used, and try to use some different matchups and protections rather than Turner's idiotic insistence on a power run game when they don't have the personnel to win 1 on 1 matchups on the offensive line every time.

I don't know what any of your words mean but I think I like what we're saying here.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2010, 11:07:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 17, 2010, 10:11:00 AM

Yeah, I think the sled is overrated, however, I think it's more useful than having the guy holding the pads as far as run blocking goes because I think the sled is better at encouraging you to block lower.

The sled doesn't do a whole helluva lot to help with technique, but it's good resistance training, very specific to legs & back.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 17, 2010, 11:07:23 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 17, 2010, 10:11:00 AM

The sled doesn't do a whole helluva lot to help with technique, but it's good resistance training, very specific to legs & back.

They also have very expensive weight rooms for shit like that... Like the Jammer

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »

Yeti is a downstate football LEGEND.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2010, 12:53:56 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 17, 2010, 12:40:03 PM

I snuck that in there on purpose.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 17, 2010, 12:53:56 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 17, 2010, 12:40:03 PM

I snuck that in there on porpoise.

Fat fuck'd [/Fork/]
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »
rotoworld

"Cedric Benson has been arrested and charged with assault for an altercation at a bar on May 30, according to the Austin American-Statesman.
Officials say that Benson got into a fight around 1:50 a.m. with an unknown person inside a bar in Austin, Texas. He allegedly was being escorted out of the bar when he punched a bar employee in the face and then the affidavit says Benson spit blood from his injured lip at an employee. This surely won't help Benson get that new contract that he's looking for, and you can be certain he'll be hearing from the league office. He faces up to a year in jail if convicted of the Class A misdemeanor. Jun. 29 - 12:17 pm et
Source: Austin American-Statesman "

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 29, 2010, 11:29:47 AM
rotoworld

"Cedric Benson has been arrested and charged with assault for an altercation at a bar on May 30, according to the Austin American-Statesman.
Officials say that Benson got into a fight around 1:50 a.m. with an unknown person inside a bar in Austin, Texas. He allegedly was being escorted out of the bar when he punched a bar employee in the face and then the affidavit says Benson spit blood from his injured lip at an employee. This surely won't help Benson get that new contract that he's looking for, and you can be certain he'll be hearing from the league office. He faces up to a year in jail if convicted of the Class A misdemeanor. Jun. 29 - 12:17 pm et
Source: Austin American-Statesman "

What a joke. Go give another teary-eyed interview about how the Bears wronged you and how Cincinnatti could see you for the good man you are, Cedric.