News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Justified  ( 52,311 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Justified
« Reply #240 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 28, 2013, 10:51:10 AM
Shelby: "If you pretend to be something long enough, at some point it's not pretending."

Damnit. That's too easy. But again, even though we've probably got this nailed I still expect to be wildly entertained by how this all plays out.

But then again, Shelby is hiding in plain sight with all these Detroit thugs coming hard after him. That's kind of odd.

Yeah, and I'm not totally sure it levels with the description from the Hill People, of Drew Thompson hanging around with Harlan's big wigs. But, then again, I don't remember exactly what was said.

But the things that set off the bells in my head were: him talking to Ellen May about his ex-wife and his interest in Drew Thompson's hot widow.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 28, 2013, 11:22:52 AM
Shelby: "If you pretend to be something long enough, at some point it's not pretending."

Damnit. That's too easy. But again, even though we've probably got this nailed I still expect to be wildly entertained by how this all plays out.

But then again, Shelby is hiding in plain sight with all these Detroit thugs coming hard after him. That's kind of odd.

Yeah, and I'm not totally sure it levels with the description from the Hill People, of Drew Thompson hanging around with Harlan's big wigs. But, then again, I don't remember exactly what was said.

But the things that set off the bells in my head were: him talking to Ellen May about his ex-wife and his interest in Drew Thompson's hot widow.

He was talking about Browning's widow. I actually don't think Shelby is Thompson. He doesn't seem ruthless or cutthroat enough, he's far too visible and smart enough to get the hell out of town now that he knows that the secret is out. Also I don't see everybody from Arlo to the former sheriff risking it all to save a secret for a guy like him. It's cool that they've put us on the scent but they have done that with a few others.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 28, 2013, 12:03:23 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 28, 2013, 11:22:52 AM

He was talking about Browning's widow.

He showed some interest in hearing about how hot the federally-protected Eve Munro was, too.

Also I don't see everybody from Arlo to the former sheriff risking it all to save a secret for a guy like him.

This is a fair point.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2013, 09:45:04 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 28, 2013, 01:56:07 PM

Also I don't see everybody from Arlo to the former sheriff risking it all to save a secret for a guy like him.

This is a fair point.

It is, although my impression is that these guys aren't covering for Thompson out of altruism - Drew Thompson disappeared with Theo Tonin's money and drugs.  Anybody who might have helped Drew stay disappeared for all these years (and presumably got a cut of the loot in the deal) is probably in for some serious retribution from Detroit.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:02 AM »
Welp... Even when you see something coming, this show is still exciting and indescribably superb.

It's the Chicago Blackhawks of basic cable dramas.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
Also: time to pack myself a go bag.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Interesting: "We both know whose voice it is tellin' you to do what you do."

Here are lawmen on the wrong side of the law. Using their power for their own ends pretending to be what they never were. The difference between Shelby and Hunter and Raylan seems to be that they know they're fakes and Raylan still clings to some Justification for bending the shit out of the rules.

Anybody else think those blows to Shelby's head after his botched suicide were truly meant for Arlo?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 07, 2013, 09:18:00 AM

Here are lawmen on the wrong side of the law. Using their power for their own ends pretending to be what they never were. The difference between Shelby and Hunter and Raylan seems to be that they know they're fakes and Raylan still clings to some Justification for bending the shit out of the rules.

Anybody else think those blows to Shelby's Hunter's head after his botched suicide were truly meant for Arlo?

Probaby.

And I enjoyed Raylan's tale of Arlo's deathbed redemption.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: March 07, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 07, 2013, 11:04:16 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 07, 2013, 09:18:00 AM

Anybody else think those blows to Shelby's Hunter's head after his botched suicide were truly meant for Arlo?

Probaby.

And I enjoyed Raylan's tale of Arlo's deathbed redemption.

Something strange occured during the roadside scene between Raylan and Hunter.  There was a brief (you missed it if you blinked) shot of Raylan standing next to his car that was completely out of the temporal flow of the scene.  This is not film with frames that can be edited, so somehow there was a digital glitch.  Or was there?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »
a) I love me some Art Goddamn Mullen

b) Limehouse... Holy shit

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: March 12, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 12, 2013, 09:25:50 PM

"First thing we are gonna do is we are going to acknowledge that this guy is awesome!"

"He shoots Theo Tonin, fakes his own death in a spectacular fashion, pushes a guy out of an air plane WHILE he is flying it, parachutes into Harlan county with enough coke and cash to jump start the economy of a small country.  And then he has the BALLS to get a job in law enforcement, not once but two times.  He spends a couple of days riding around with you while you're looking for him.  And now he's run off with a hooker that's half his age.  That's some bad ass shit."

If Art does eventually retire, I'd totally watch a spin-off about he and his wife driving around in their RV solving crimes.

Also, Wynn Duffy has a sleep mask.  Because of course he does.

"Oh balls."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 12, 2013, 10:33:26 PM

"First thing we are gonna do is we are going to acknowledge that this guy is awesome!"

"He shoots Theo Tonin, fakes his own death in a spectacular fashion, pushes a guy out of an air plane WHILE he is flying it, parachutes into Harlan county with enough coke and cash to jump start the economy of a small country.  And then he has the BALLS to get a job in law enforcement, not once but two times.  He spends a couple of days riding around with you while you're looking for him.  And now he's run off with a hooker that's half his age.  That's some bad ass shit."

If Art does eventually retire, I'd totally watch a spin-off about he and his wife driving around in their RV solving crimes.

"Oh balls."
The scene of Art acknowledging Shelby/Drew's greatness was itself great. 
Did you notice how much altruism and empathy was demonstrated in this episode?  Shelby twice trying to save Ellen May.  Boyd and his girlfriend trying to play Solomon in deciding whether to give Ellen May a chance to survive, even if she spits in their faces.  Ellen May trying to save Shelby's life.  Wynn Duffy suggesting to his flunky that he get out of town to save his life.  The writing and plotlines of this show are too good for TV.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
Quote from: CT III on March 12, 2013, 10:33:26 PM

"Oh balls."

Art's speech was hands down the highlight of the season for me so far. I'm hoping they give Drew Shelby at least one long monologue in these upcoming episodes to explain hisself because (a) Jim Beaver is awesome and (b) I'm still not entirely sure I follow Drew's backstory.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
Ho-lee shit.  Great episode. 

"People underestimate Bob at their peril."

"A molotov cocktail, I haven't seen one of those since Guns and Roses in '89"

I can't really pick a favorite part.  Probably the Colt vs. Tim standoff (and Tim's admission that he only has PTSD episodes when handling firearms in public).

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: March 20, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
Quote from: CT III on March 20, 2013, 08:50:23 AM
Ho-lee shit.  Great episode. 

"People underestimate Bob at their peril."

"A molotov cocktail, I haven't seen one of those since Guns and Roses in '89"

I can't really pick a favorite part.  Probably the Colt vs. Tim standoff (and Tim's admission that he only has PTSD episodes when handling firearms in public).

Drewsitania. Drewbacca.

I also really liked the backstory of Drew & Arlo meeting in Vietnam - now it makes sense to me that Drew came to Harlan. Only question I have left is why he shot Theo - there's gotta be something juicy there.

Bold prediction: Theo's crew isn't going to give up on their hunt for Drew Goddamn Thompson.