News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Finding Dory  ( 2,529 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Finding Dory
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
Upper tier Pixar but not top of the heap.  Plot is a little too redundant from a few other Pixar movies (Toy Story 2, 3 and Finding Nemo).  Marlin and Nemo are in this but serve very little purpose.

The sea lions and the octopus are great. What is says about family is also very well done if a little overt.

Stay through the full credits.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Finding Dory
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:37:26 PM »
Internet Chuck reviews Pixar.  What could possibly go wrong?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 23, 2016, 02:37:26 PM

To be fair, Internet Chuck pretty much always reviews Pixar.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 23, 2016, 02:42:55 PM

... and it always goes wrong.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 23, 2016, 02:43:42 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on June 23, 2016, 02:42:55 PM

... and it always goes wrong.

Chuck ... wrong? Well I never. 
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
Taking my son to see it tomorrow. It will his first movie theater experience, and he's on the spectrum, so I may not actually see anything before taking him to the hall, but if I can, I'll check Chuck's review for accuracy.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »
Quote from: Bort on June 23, 2016, 04:39:02 PM
Taking my son to see it tomorrow. It will his first movie theater experience, and he's on the spectrum, so I may not actually see anything before taking him to the hall, but if I can, I'll check Chuck's review for accuracy.
Some of my most treasured memories involve watching each of my four sons' reactions when I took them to their first movies.  (They are all now in their 40's and 50's)  You will  get more enjoyment out of watching your son than you will by watching the movie.  This summer I will get to take my grandsons to the movies. The five year old will be engrossed.  The three year old will be out of his seat within 3 minutes.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
My first movie was the original release of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".  My mother thought that the scene where the evil queen turned into the witch was too intense for me, so she put her hand over my eyes.  I peeked through her fingers.  I didn't think that was such a big deal.   
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »
Saw it with my class a few days ago. I thought the plot was subpar for Pixar standards, but the movie's moral is outstanding and a great teaching moment for anyone with kids. Every classroom has at least one kid with special needs, and it takes a lot of empathy for kids to not ostracize and abuse. Revealing that a much-beloved character has a special need (in this case, Dory's short term memory loss is not common among her species of fish), and emphasizing how useful and loved she is, is wonderful.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 23, 2016, 05:45:22 PM
Saw it with my class a few days ago. I thought the plot was subpar for Pixar standards, but the movie's moral is outstanding and a great teaching moment for anyone with kids. Every classroom has at least one kid with special needs, and it takes a lot of empathy for kids to not ostracize and abuse. Revealing that a much-beloved character has a special need (in this case, Dory's short term memory loss is not common among her species of fish), and emphasizing how useful and loved she is, is wonderful.

Speaking as someone whose son just got an admittedly long-expected diagnosis of being on the autism spectrum, I thought it did an excellent job of showing what it's like to be the parent of a kid who's not necessarily neurotypical. I'm not sure how well that plays for parents whose kids aren't on the spectrum, but it was very moving for us. The scene with her mother crying about whether she'll ever be able to take care of herself was absolutely accurate to my experience, and the way her parents dealt with her was a masterful object lesson.

Or so I gathered from the snippets of movie I saw between carrying my son back in and out of the theater.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 09:51:44 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 27, 2016, 02:48:28 PM

Speaking as someone whose son just got an admittedly long-expected diagnosis of being on the autism spectrum, I thought it did an excellent job of showing what it's like to be the parent of a kid who's not necessarily neurotypical. I'm not sure how well that plays for parents whose kids aren't on the spectrum, but it was very moving for us. The scene with her mother crying about whether she'll ever be able to take care of herself was absolutely accurate to my experience, and the way her parents dealt with her was a masterful object lesson.

Or so I gathered from the snippets of movie I saw between carrying my son back in and out of the theater.

Man, this hits home a little bit. My son has been seeing a speech pathologist because he has/had a moderate language delay. The pathologist suspects he might be on the spectrum because he doesn't always make good eye contact, and because he sometimes "echoed" what she said during their activities together. We're not sure what to think, except that we, our friends and family who work with a lot of autistic kids, and his paediatrician, think he's not on the spectrum. Still, it's kind of stressful, because in this world of problems it's not a happy thought that our kid might be saddled with something that might just make his life more challenging.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 04:20:10 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 28, 2016, 09:51:44 AM

Man, this hits home a little bit. My son has been seeing a speech pathologist because he has/had a moderate language delay. The pathologist suspects he might be on the spectrum because he doesn't always make good eye contact, and because he sometimes "echoed" what she said during their activities together. We're not sure what to think, except that we, our friends and family who work with a lot of autistic kids, and his paediatrician, think he's not on the spectrum. Still, it's kind of stressful, because in this world of problems it's not a happy thought that our kid might be saddled with something that might just make his life more challenging.

Our son is very high functioning, makes eye contact, etc., but yeah, his delays in speech are pretty high, and most of his actual speech is the scripted "echoes." It's especially heartbreaking because he's got a phenomenal memory and a huge vocabulary. He just can't integrate that into communication very well.

Does your son exhibit "stimming?" That was one of our big cues.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »
Quote from: Bort on June 28, 2016, 04:20:10 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on June 28, 2016, 09:51:44 AM

Our son is very high functioning, makes eye contact, etc., but yeah, his delays in speech are pretty high, and most of his actual speech is the scripted "echoes." It's especially heartbreaking because he's got a phenomenal memory and a huge vocabulary. He just can't integrate that into communication very well.

Does your son exhibit "stimming?" That was one of our big cues.

Nope - at least, not in a way that would set off alarms. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he's on the spectrum, but it's stressful that a speech pathologist thinks he might be. But as someone who teaches kids with autism, there is such a wide range of kids who fall into the spectrum. Hopefully your son doesn't fall into the extremes. But even if he did, you being a proactive parent will literally make all the difference. There's nothing worse than parents in denial, he said, while possibly being in denial.
M'lady.