News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 471,936 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Dave B on March 20, 2009, 01:20:44 PM
Special Olympics bowler: I can beat the president! 

Mar 20 01:59 PM US/Eastern

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - The top bowler for the Special Olympics looks forward to meeting President Barack Obama in an alley.
"He bowled a 129. I bowl a 300. I could beat that score easily," Michigan's Kolan McConiughey (KO-lahn Mc-KAHNA-he) told The Associated Press in an interview Friday.

The athletic-minded president made an offhand remark Thursday on "The Tonight Show" comparing his weak bowling to "the Special Olympics or something." He quickly apologized and told the Special Olympics chairman he wants to have some of its athletes visit the White House to bowl or play basketball.

McConiughey, who is mentally disabled, is just the bowler for the job. He's bowled five perfect games since 2005.

The 35-year-old McConiughey has been bowling since he was 8 or 9. His advice for Obama? Practice every day.

I sure hope they give a chance to that big retard.
Hire Jim Essian!

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: BH on March 20, 2009, 11:33:25 AM
Quote from: morpheus on March 20, 2009, 11:31:19 AM
So, the person who will be arguing cases for the government in court has no experience in arguing cases in court.  I put it to teh lawyers here, is this something regularly done, or even a big deal?  I don't know enough about courtroom workings to know the answer.

Que Fork for a Night Court joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pod-uZH8s8

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Indolent Reader on March 20, 2009, 04:22:23 PM
Quote from: BH on March 20, 2009, 11:33:25 AM
Quote from: morpheus on March 20, 2009, 11:31:19 AM
So, the person who will be arguing cases for the government in court has no experience in arguing cases in court.  I put it to teh lawyers here, is this something regularly done, or even a big deal?  I don't know enough about courtroom workings to know the answer.

Que Fork for a Night Court joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pod-uZH8s8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdFhmRdBtno
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
OMG Sarah Palin is totally outraged about President Obama's gaffe:
Quote"I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics," Governor Palin said.  "This was a degrading remark about our world's most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world.

"These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will.  By the way, these athletes can outperform many of us and we should be proud of them.  I hope President Obama's comments do not reflect how he truly feels about the special needs community."

Wait a minute:

QuoteGov. Sarah Palin is refusing to accept over 30 percent of the federal economic stimulus money being offered to Alaska, including dollars for schools, energy assistance and social services.

The biggest single chunk of money that Palin is turning down is about $170 million for education, including money that would go for programs to help economically disadvantaged and special needs students. Anchorage School Superintendent Carol Comeau said she is "shocked and very disappointed" that Palin would reject the schools money. She said it could be used for job preservation, teacher training, and helping kids who need it.

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/729504.html

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 20, 2009, 05:43:33 PM
Quote"I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics," Governor Palin said.  "This was a degrading remark about our world's most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world.

"These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will.  By the way, these athletes can outperform many of us and we should be proud of them.  I hope President Obama's comments do not reflect how he truly feels about the special needs community."

Wait a minute:

QuoteGov. Sarah Palin is refusing to accept over 30 percent of the federal economic stimulus money being offered to Alaska, including dollars for schools, energy assistance and social services.

The biggest single chunk of money that Palin is turning down is about $170 million for education, including money that would go for programs to help economically disadvantaged and special needs students. Anchorage School Superintendent Carol Comeau said she is "shocked and very disappointed" that Palin would reject the schools money. She said it could be used for job preservation, teacher training, and helping kids who need it.

QuotePalin said she's sure that her decision on the education money will draw the most heat, and that she wouldn't be surprised if the Legislature tries to change it. "It is a matter of discussing with our lawmakers if the expansion there is something we're willing to pick up the tab for when the federal dollars dry up, when they no longer flow into Alaska," Palin said.

So she doesn't want to take money to fund programs that they might not be able to pay for later?  She's so two-faced.  Putting her whole state's interest ahead of a select group of people. 
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: JD on March 20, 2009, 08:06:10 PM

Wait a minute:

QuotePalin said she's sure that her decision on the education money will draw the most heat, and that she wouldn't be surprised if the Legislature tries to change it. "It is a matter of discussing with our lawmakers if the expansion there is something we're willing to pick up the tab for when the federal dollars dry up, when they no longer flow into Alaska," Palin said.

So she doesn't want to take money to fund programs that they might not be able to pay for later?  She's so two-faced.  Putting her whole state's interest ahead of a select group of people. 

That's not very nice.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club

Wait a minute:

Just let that whole hypocrisy thing fly right by, didn't ya?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Soo...

Obama tries to make a self-deprecating joke that offended another special-interest constituency. Big deal.  It's not a good thing to say, but it's hardly evidence that he holds the disabled up to ridicule as a practice. He tried to be funny, and it fell flat and it offended people. In 1984, Reagan was conducting a sound check before recording a radio ad and riffed, "I've signed legislation outlawing Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes." That was incredibly stupid, it was not funny, and it carried far more serious consequences. Somehow, we escaped nuclear war, and even though people would like to suggest otherwise, if Reagan was determined to bomb the USSR, the Kremlin would have been turned to glass.

At any rate, talk is cheap, especially when it's not written by a team of speechwriters (or when it's not at least carefully considered). I don't think anyone will be advising the President to go on the Tonight Show, Late Night, the Daily Show or the View any time soon.

As for Palin's reaction, I am sure of a few things:

a) More than a couple reporters called her looking for reaction;
b) She almost assuredly did not see the exchange and just reacted to him making a bad Special Olympics joke;
c) She might be a little defensive about her son who has Down's Syndrome.

There's no need to react to that, and play some stupid victimization card. It's irritating, much more so since it's not even a secret that she wants to run in 2012.

As for the "hypocrisy" of the issue, I don't quite see it. It's not a small point that states are going to have to figure out how to continue some programs the stimulus money would fund after the stimulus money runs out. The fact she made a decision and an official in Alaska disagrees with her decision doesn't make it a poor decision any more than if Obama makes a decision and an AP reporter gets a quote from John Boehner decrying the move.

All of these bullshit issues: Obama making an ill-advised off-the-cuff remark (again, if any of you has not made one, you're simply a mute), the AIG bonuses, etc. take our eye off the biggest news of the week. The Fed is going to monetize the debt. Your George Washingtons, Abraham Lincolns, Alexander Hamiltons, Andrew Jacksons, Ulysses Grants, and Benjamin Franklins are looser than anything you'll find on Pre's Eastern European Bachelor Party.  Already, you're seeing an increase in commodity prices. Inflation is no fun, and inflation coupled with a stifling recession is downright frightening.

Meanwhile, statewide, we winked and smiled at the side issues of the day for the past 10 years? 25 years? and look where we're at: the tax increases and fee increases Quinn is proposing has me seriously wondering how I'll be able to make it the next few years.  Good thing we're going to pick up the tab for the Olympics, though.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
TJ Brown is making sense.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on March 21, 2009, 02:59:38 PM
Soo...

Obama tries to make a self-deprecating joke that offended another special-interest constituency. Big deal.  It's not a good thing to say, but it's hardly evidence that he holds the disabled up to ridicule as a practice. He tried to be funny, and it fell flat and it offended people. In 1984, Reagan was conducting a sound check before recording a radio ad and riffed, "I've signed legislation outlawing Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes." That was incredibly stupid, it was not funny, and it carried far more serious consequences. Somehow, we escaped nuclear war, and even though people would like to suggest otherwise, if Reagan was determined to bomb the USSR, the Kremlin would have been turned to glass.

At any rate, talk is cheap, especially when it's not written by a team of speechwriters (or when it's not at least carefully considered). I don't think anyone will be advising the President to go on the Tonight Show, Late Night, the Daily Show or the View any time soon.

As for Palin's reaction, I am sure of a few things:

a) More than a couple reporters called her looking for reaction;
b) She almost assuredly did not see the exchange and just reacted to him making a bad Special Olympics joke;
c) She might be a little defensive about her son who has Down's Syndrome.

There's no need to react to that, and play some stupid victimization card. It's irritating, much more so since it's not even a secret that she wants to run in 2012.

As for the "hypocrisy" of the issue, I don't quite see it. It's not a small point that states are going to have to figure out how to continue some programs the stimulus money would fund after the stimulus money runs out. The fact she made a decision and an official in Alaska disagrees with her decision doesn't make it a poor decision any more than if Obama makes a decision and an AP reporter gets a quote from John Boehner decrying the move.

All of these bullshit issues: Obama making an ill-advised off-the-cuff remark (again, if any of you has not made one, you're simply a mute), the AIG bonuses, etc. take our eye off the biggest news of the week. The Fed is going to monetize the debt. Your George Washingtons, Abraham Lincolns, Alexander Hamiltons, Andrew Jacksons, Ulysses Grants, and Benjamin Franklins are looser than anything you'll find on Pre's Eastern European Bachelor Party.  Already, you're seeing an increase in commodity prices. Inflation is no fun, and inflation coupled with a stifling recession is downright frightening.

Meanwhile, statewide, we winked and smiled at the side issues of the day for the past 10 years? 25 years? and look where we're at: the tax increases and fee increases Quinn is proposing has me seriously wondering how I'll be able to make it the next few years.  Good thing we're going to pick up the tab for the Olympics, though.

Absolutely correct on this.  I agree.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 21, 2009, 12:54:20 PM

Wait a minute:

I fully see the "hypocrisy" that one could take from that. However, the article and quote says "which includes." That can be $20 million or it could be $20 dollars. I realize the latter is not what it is, but I think the point is understood. Basically, the article (and none that I found as I read through about 7 articles about this) doesn't say how much was for that. It just says it was in there. I think I've been pretty open-minded about things lately (probably expressed more in the SBox) and I think it's kind of horseshit for the line that every news source uses "including money that would go for programs to help economically disadvantaged and special needs students" without telling us how much is in there for that, because that is significant. On one hand, she is essentially vilified (sic??) for rejecting this money based off of the wording... And on the other hand, they could actually tell us how much ED and SNS money is in there so we can actually make an informed opinion on if she is doing the right or wrong thing.

I suppose that is what we get from the media. The story that seems to fit how they want it to portray someone or something. I know it's a subtle wording that probably wasn't intended to make her look bad (I'm hoping) but nonetheless, it is what it is, and we, as observers, are left with "Palin is bad."

For anyone: Don't make the argument about how people like Rush and FoxNews do this, too. I know that. It's all horseshit.

As far as Barry's comment, who gives a shit? It was moderately funny. I know the president is supposed to be better than that and know better, but to me, it kind of makes him seem a little more likeable and common. Everyone says stupid shit they shouldn't have all the time. I think I know firsthand.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 21, 2009, 03:27:52 PM

Wait a minute:

I fully see the "hypocrisy" that one could take from that. However, the article and quote says "which includes." That can be $20 million or it could be $20 dollars. I realize the latter is not what it is, but I think the point is understood. Basically, the article (and none that I found as I read through about 7 articles about this) doesn't say how much was for that. It just says it was in there. I think I've been pretty open-minded about things lately (probably expressed more in the SBox) and I think it's kind of horseshit for the line that every news source uses "including money that would go for programs to help economically disadvantaged and special needs students" without telling us how much is in there for that, because that is significant. On one hand, she is essentially vilified (sic??) for rejecting this money based off of the wording... And on the other hand, they could actually tell us how much ED and SNS money is in there so we can actually make an informed opinion on if she is doing the right or wrong thing.

I suppose that is what we get from the media. The story that seems to fit how they want it to portray someone or something. I know it's a subtle wording that probably wasn't intended to make her look bad (I'm hoping) but nonetheless, it is what it is, and we, as observers, are left with "Palin is bad."

For anyone: Don't make the argument about how people like Rush and FoxNews do this, too. I know that. It's all horseshit.

As far as Barry's comment, who gives a shit? It was moderately funny. I know the president is supposed to be better than that and know better, but to me, it kind of makes him seem a little more likeable and common. Everyone says stupid shit they shouldn't have all the time. I think I know firsthand.

I think I was having a visceral reaction to her quick politicization of the issue.  After reading some local blogs in Alaska (spanning both ends of the political spectrum) and after hearing about her new robo-polls in Iowa and New Hampshire, I really believe that Sarah Palin is exploiting everything that she can for 2012.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 21, 2009, 06:13:32 PM

Wait a minute:

I think I was having a visceral reaction to her quick politicization of the issue.  After reading some local blogs in Alaska (spanning both ends of the political spectrum) and after hearing about her new robo-polls in Iowa and New Hampshire, I really believe that Sarah Palin is exploiting everything that she can for 2012.

Yea, I'd very much so bet she is. I'm really not that much of a fan of her... However, I would love to fuck the ever loving shit out of her... and her daughter.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 21, 2009, 06:13:32 PM

Wait a minute:

The irony of it is that she has burned her star out too quickly by doing this. Too much of a lightning rod. If she can just go back to being a governor and worry less about the national scene, the better off everyone is.

I have no idea who gives her advice...

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on March 22, 2009, 12:10:24 AM
The irony of it is that she has burned her star out too quickly by doing this. Too much of a lightning rod. If she can just go back to being a governor and worry less about the national scene, the better off everyone is.

I have no idea who gives her advice...
Her husband. This is a chick who wants to be a star, not a leader. Sportscenter is her goal.  If the goal changes to giving policy platitudes from the White House instead of sports platitudes from Bristol, she's down with that.

She also wants to make money.