News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears vs. Lions Paulcast - Sunday September 12th, 2010  ( 30,602 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears vs. Lions Paulcast - Sunday September 12th, 2010
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2010, 11:28:01 PM »
Alright. I went back on the DVR and watched every single dropback that Jay Cutler had in order to count how many times he was pressured. Now, by my calculation we're looking at

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

Now 13 of 44 is about 30% of the time. That's not great, however, my definition of a pressure isn't very stringent. I don't have the exact number, but Cutler completed well over 50% of his passes actually while "pressured", and I didn't count screen passes as "pressures" because they're designed for the defense to overpursue. So many of those weren't really legit pressures. I'd say he was actually in trouble a grand total of 6 times. 2 of the sacks were coverages sacks where he had at least 3 seconds to find an open receiver and didn't, and he failed to throw the ball away. 2 of them he had no chance, so that's on the line. Of the 5 scrambles, 3 were to avoid pressure. On 2 of them he didn't even tuck the ball and run for at least 4 seconds after the snap and only because no one was open. He managed to run out of bounds on several of those, all told he was hit less than 10 times. Meanwhile, he had enough time to throw for almost 400 yards. I think just looking at the sack total doesn't tell the whole picture. This is a vast improvement from last year, when he was pressured nearly 40% of the time and far less effective under that pressure (51.9 rating). Now, we'll see if this holds up against teams that are better than the Lions, but I'd have to say that the offensive line's pass blocking was actually decent. Their run blocking is a different story, however.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2010, 01:14:04 AM »
You know who the only announcer I hate worse than Franchester Brennaman is? His piece of shit son T-hom. Seriously, Stevie Wonder could've done better play-by-play.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 12, 2010, 11:28:01 PM
Alright. I went back on the DVR and watched every single dropback that Jay Cutler had in order to count how many times he was pressured. Now, by my calculation we're looking at

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

Now 13 of 44 is about 30% of the time. That's not great, however, my definition of a pressure isn't very stringent. I don't have the exact number, but Cutler completed well over 50% of his passes actually while "pressured", and I didn't count screen passes as "pressures" because they're designed for the defense to overpursue. So many of those weren't really legit pressures. I'd say he was actually in trouble a grand total of 6 times. 2 of the sacks were coverages sacks where he had at least 3 seconds to find an open receiver and didn't, and he failed to throw the ball away. 2 of them he had no chance, so that's on the line. Of the 5 scrambles, 3 were to avoid pressure. On 2 of them he didn't even tuck the ball and run for at least 4 seconds after the snap and only because no one was open. He managed to run out of bounds on several of those, all told he was hit less than 10 times. Meanwhile, he had enough time to throw for almost 400 yards. I think just looking at the sack total doesn't tell the whole picture. This is a vast improvement from last year, when he was pressured nearly 40% of the time and far less effective under that pressure (51.9 rating). Now, we'll see if this holds up against teams that are better than the Lions, but I'd have to say that the offensive line's pass blocking was actually decent. Their run blocking is a different story, however.

Nice work, and good points. So did you enjoy re-watching the play where Martz went max-protect (sending only two receivers out on routes) and Omiyale still gave up a sack? Or the play where Omiyale knocked his guy on his ass, then decided his work was done, and stood and watched his guy get up and sack Cutler?

You've made me feel much better about this O-line. But since you're providing so much positive I'm going to cherry pick a couple plays to remind us that Omiyale still sucks Huey's next fistula.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2010, 07:08:58 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 13, 2010, 06:56:39 AM

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

Nice work, and good points. So did you enjoy re-watching the play where Martz went max-protect (sending only two receivers out on routes) and Omiyale still gave up a sack? Or the play where Omiyale knocked his guy on his ass, then decided his work was done, and stood and watched his guy get up and sack Cutler?

You've made me feel much better about this O-line. But since you're providing so much positive I'm going to cherry pick a couple plays to remind us that Omiyale still sucks Huey's next fistula.

One thing I'm glad to see is at least Martz is paying attention to what's going on in the game and making adjustments. He see a O-line playing poorly he adjusts to help protect Cutler. As opposed to that moran Turner who would keep having Jay take 5-7 steps drops over and over again behind a leaky O-line.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2010, 07:15:13 AM »

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

Not much to do in Iowa huh?
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2010, 07:48:54 AM »

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

Thanks for this. But please add in the penalties/yards the line was responsible for. That matters to me. And to America.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

Yeah, he easily stood out as the worst offender. Chris Williams played surprisingly well. Garza was actually pretty disappointing, especially in the run game. Lance Louis of all people had perhaps the best game.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 08:07:18 AM

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

Yeah, he easily stood out as the worst offender. Chris Williams played surprisingly well. Garza was actually pretty disappointing, especially in the run game. Lance Louis of all people had perhaps the best game.

I thought Louis had a pretty good preseason and was encouraged about him going into the first game.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2010, 08:24:03 AM »
Bears looked pretty good yesterday. What's everyone else think?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on September 13, 2010, 08:17:03 AM

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

I thought Louis had a pretty good preseason and was encouraged about him going into the first game.

I heard somewhere that Lance Louis was a Tight End in 2008.  What the...?  If that's true, is that some sort of record for eating yourself into a Guard in 2 years?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2010, 08:50:44 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 13, 2010, 08:48:19 AM

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

I heard somewhere that Lance Louis was a Tight End in 2008.  What the...?  If that's true, is that some sort of record for eating yourself into a Guard in 2?

If there's a record for eating yourself into being a Guard, I own it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 13, 2010, 08:48:19 AM

44 Dropbacks
35 actual pass attempts
13 overall pressures
5 scrambles
4 sacks.

I heard somewhere that Lance Louis was a Tight End in 2008.  What the...?  If that's true, is that some sort of record for eating yourself into a Guard in 2?

No. It was confusing. He was a guard in college but then was moved to tight end at the combine because he's athletic and they thought he projected better as a Manumaleuna-type big ass tight end. The Bears still liked him as a guard so they took him and told him to put on some weight.

Revised: Actually, upon further review, Louis was a tight end for two years in college but finished as a guard after he injured his knee and lost some of his speed. Then at the combine they listed him as a tight end again.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2010, 09:38:41 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 08:24:03 AM

I think that they were playing the Lions.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 13, 2010, 09:38:41 AM

I didn't see them playing the Lions. I think your age is catching up with you, sir.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2010, 09:44:11 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 13, 2010, 09:38:41 AM

<trigger's SKO's rage-filled asshurtedness>
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs