News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears vs. Lions Paulcast - Sunday September 12th, 2010  ( 30,598 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears vs. Lions Paulcast - Sunday September 12th, 2010
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 13, 2010, 11:40:29 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 13, 2010, 11:36:12 AM
Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2010, 11:25:20 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on September 13, 2010, 11:13:42 AM
Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2010, 10:38:31 AM
I just want to remind everyone that Lovie had a chance to take the lead late in the game and chose not to.

That call didn't and still doesn't bother me. The fact that the O-line couldn't get a yard on three carries is what bothers me the most.

That's why you kick the ball....the o-line sucks.

Seriously, swallow your pride, don't be a meatball, take the points, and move on.  Maybe if you have the lead you go for it, but in that instance the only call is to take the lead and address the fact that your o-line and fullback can't open up a hole long enough for your halfback to get one fucking yard during the week.

If they were down by four points or something then MAYBE I could defend going for it. But when you can take the lead with a chip shot you take it. How can men in charge of one of THIRTY TWO professional football teams in this country, when so many people think they can do better, be so obtuse? I don't understand.

Not that it means anything, but at that moment I was listening to the game on WBBM (BEARS RADIOOOO!)  and Tom Thayer immediately said "take the points".  Thayer's too classy to have beaten up on Lovie after he elected to go for it--he never brought it up again--but the fact that he was saying to take the points within 1 second of the end of the third down play seemed pretty telling.  And though this may mean even less meaninfgul, Mike Mulligan and his phlegm-clogged esophagus was trying to suggest this morning that it was Mike Martz' decision to go for it which seems so stupid it glows in the dark.  He offered no proof other than his own fat-filled speculation.  Mike Mulligan deserves to die in faux-Irish tavern fire.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2010, 12:00:08 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 13, 2010, 11:48:08 AM
I just want to remind everyone that Lovie had a chance to take the lead late in the game and chose not to.

That call didn't and still doesn't bother me. The fact that the O-line couldn't get a yard on three carries is what bothers me the most.

You can be bothered by both of those things, you know.

It's incredibly dumb to not take the lead in the fourth quarter when you can, especially given that Detroit wasn't moving the ball and their starting QB was on the sidelines.  The Lions may have gone another 12 quarters without scoring. 

I can be, but I'm not.

Anytime a call like that is made the coach will either be an idiot or a genius. If the Bears made that FG and then lost by a FG everyone would lamenting about how Lovie had no faith in his offense to get less than a yard and the touchdown. He would be an idiot for not going for it.

Also, judging by the way the Lions went right down the field at the end there is no guarantee that the Lions may have not gone 12 quarters without scoring.

Lovie took a chance and it didn't work, that's all there really is to it in my mind.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2010, 12:03:33 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 13, 2010, 11:54:07 AM

Seriously, swallow your pride, don't be a meatball, take the points, and move on.  Maybe if you have the lead you go for it, but in that instance the only call is to take the lead and address the fact that your o-line and fullback can't open up a hole long enough for your halfback to get one fucking yard during the week.

If they were down by four points or something then MAYBE I could defend going for it. But when you can take the lead with a chip shot you take it. How can men in charge of one of THIRTY TWO professional football teams in this country, when so many people think they can do better, be so obtuse? I don't understand.

Not that it means anything, but at that moment I was listening to the game on WBBM (BEARS RADIOOOO!)  and Tom Thayer immediately said "take the points".  Thayer's too classy to have beaten up on Lovie after he elected to go for it--he never brought it up again--but the fact that he was saying to take the points within 1 second of the end of the third down play seemed pretty telling.  And though this may mean even less meaninfgul, Mike Mulligan and his phlegm-clogged esophagus was trying to suggest this morning that it was Mike Martz' decision to go for it which seems so stupid it glows in the dark.  He offered no proof other than his own fat-filled speculation.  Mike Mulligan deserves to die in faux-Irish tavern fire.

Eh, I don't like Mulligan either, but from my recollection Lovie is pretty conservative. My opinion of him is that he would have normally kicked the FG. I don't think it's unpossible that Martz was whispering in his ear a bit "Go for it. Go for it."

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »
Honesty compels me to admit that I thought it was the right decision at the time.  Must be my meatballishness.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »

Seriously, swallow your pride, don't be a meatball, take the points, and move on.  Maybe if you have the lead you go for it, but in that instance the only call is to take the lead and address the fact that your o-line and fullback can't open up a hole long enough for your halfback to get one fucking yard during the week.

I don't understand either. Football is a simple game to figure out. It's 11 on 11.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 11:53:15 AM
Quote from: DT20For 400 yards of offense and only 3 touchdowns I think I would be nervous. Especially against our back seven which is probably one of the worst in the NFL.  Mad Martz is washed up and so is Rod (I suck so bad I went 0-16) Marinelli.  Unless Uromasudu and Devin (I can't catch ) Hester have huge seasons Bears won't make 500. Forte is over rated as well. If not for that lapse in defense on the play down the side line he would have had 50 rushing and 70 receiving yards on dink dunk passes. As for the Lions, Stafford is done for up to 4- 6 weeks maybe longer so our season is done unless Hill becomes a pro bowler over night. 3 more years of solid drafts and off seasons we will have a chance. Today just sucks got robbed again by good ole' home cooking. Bears fans would have killed those refs if they would have called a TD it was just a horribly called play. Worst call I have seen in the decade or so I've been watching pro football.  I just feel burned as an NFL fan and nobody is doing anything about it just more talk by the league how another team got screwed because the rules just don't make sense. We had plenty of chances to win the game and just didn't put it away. How your encouraged by the Bears play against us kind of baffles me we are one of the worst teams in the league you should have killed us 40-14 when Stafford went out. I'd be nervous about your offense the Lions forced a lot of punts and you guys had it at the 50 or inside like 5 times and got nothing. It's only week one but I'm going to be hot about this for awhile just the worst call by a ref I have ever seen and he wasn't even near the play to signal a TD. There was a ref starring at the play as it happened and signaled a TD just makes me laugh in disgust how they called that not a TD.

tl;dr
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 13, 2010, 12:19:48 PM

Seriously, swallow your pride, don't be a meatball, take the points, and move on.  Maybe if you have the lead you go for it, but in that instance the only call is to take the lead and address the fact that your o-line and fullback can't open up a hole long enough for your halfback to get one fucking yard during the week.

I don't understand either. Football is a simple game to figure out. It's 11 on 11.

I'm just enraged that they didn't try a fucking quarterback sneak. The crown of Cutler's helmet was 6 inches away from the god damn line. All he had to do was stretch his god damn hands out. And yeah, I'd have kicked the field goal. And I've just been called asshurt by Huey. What that has to do with anything, I don't know. But I find it funny.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2010, 12:25:43 PM »
Ron Turner would have called that play action pass to Dez Clark that always worked. I'm not sure what my point is.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 12:23:42 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 13, 2010, 12:19:48 PM

I'm just enraged that they didn't try a fucking quarterback sneak. The crown of Cutler's helmet was 6 inches away from the god damn line. All he had to do was stretch his god damn hands out. And yeah, I'd have kicked the field goal. And I've just been called asshurt by Huey. What that has to do with anything, I don't know. But I find it funny.

I find both you and Huey funny. And asshurt.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:58 PM »
Worst call I have seen in the decade or so I've been watching pro football. 

For some reason, this was my favorite line.  

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2010, 12:35:10 PM »
You hoopleheads are all overlooking the most obvious reason why Lovie chose not to take the lead. He knows that when the Bears are in the lead, he will revert to his tendency of calling that horseshit prevent defense he loves so very much. So he chose to wait as long possible to take the lead, thus ensuring that the defense would continue to play well until the very end.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »
Quote from: R-V on September 13, 2010, 12:35:10 PM
You hoopleheads are all overlooking the most obvious reason why Lovie chose not to take the lead. He knows that when the Bears are in the lead, he will revert to his tendency of calling that horseshit prevent defense he loves so very much. So he chose to wait as long possible to take the lead, thus ensuring that the defense would continue to play well until the very end.

The best part about calling that awful prevent defense was that he then switched to man defense and left Calvin Johnson in single coverage the second the Lions actually Were threatening. THAT'S OUR LOVIE!
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »
Quote from: Night Man on September 13, 2010, 12:21:10 PM
Quote from: DT20For 400 yards of offense and only 3 touchdowns I think I would be nervous. Especially against our back seven which is probably one of the worst in the NFL.  Mad Martz is washed up and so is Rod (I suck so bad I went 0-16) Marinelli.  Unless Uromasudu and Devin (I can't catch ) Hester have huge seasons Bears won't make 500. Forte is over rated as well. If not for that lapse in defense on the play down the side line he would have had 50 rushing and 70 receiving yards on dink dunk passes. As for the Lions, Stafford is done for up to 4- 6 weeks maybe longer so our season is done unless Hill becomes a pro bowler over night. 3 more years of solid drafts and off seasons we will have a chance. Today just sucks got robbed again by good ole' home cooking. Bears fans would have killed those refs if they would have called a TD it was just a horribly called play. Worst call I have seen in the decade or so I've been watching pro football.  I just feel burned as an NFL fan and nobody is doing anything about it just more talk by the league how another team got screwed because the rules just don't make sense. We had plenty of chances to win the game and just didn't put it away. How your encouraged by the Bears play against us kind of baffles me we are one of the worst teams in the league you should have killed us 40-14 when Stafford went out. I'd be nervous about your offense the Lions forced a lot of punts and you guys had it at the 50 or inside like 5 times and got nothing. It's only week one but I'm going to be hot about this for awhile just the worst call by a ref I have ever seen and he wasn't even near the play to signal a TD. There was a ref starring at the play as it happened and signaled a TD just makes me laugh in disgust how they called that not a TD.

tl;dr HURF DURF

ftfy'd

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2010, 12:42:27 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 12:36:44 PM

The best part about calling that awful prevent defense was that he then switched to man defense and left Calvin Johnson in single coverage the second the Lions actually Were threatening. THAT'S OUR LOVIE!

I initially assumed it was another heartwarming episode of THAT'S OUR DANIEAL! but Biggs confirmed that Danieal was where he was supposed to be on that play.

QuoteHuddled with Danieal Manning afterward. The call on the non-Calvin Johnson TD was cover 3, meaning he was free in middle of field.

QuoteWhat is amazing is Bears would risk Megatron 1-on-1 vs. Zack Bowman, who had battled cramps during the game.

QuoteNaturally, Bears went to cover 2 on next down and had help for Bowman on same play.

Speaking of the secondary - I have to say I didn't pay much attention to them because I was having too much fun watching the linebackers smack people in the nuts, and the Lions didn't throw downfield at all until the end of the game. How much playing time did Major Wright get? I remember definitely a few plays but can't recall if he was at strong, free or a little of each.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2010, 12:46:34 PM »
Quote from: R-V on September 13, 2010, 12:42:27 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 12:36:44 PM

I initially assumed it was another heartwarming episode of THAT'S OUR DANIEAL! but Biggs confirmed that Danieal was where he was supposed to be on that play.

QuoteHuddled with Danieal Manning afterward. The call on the non-Calvin Johnson TD was cover 3, meaning he was free in middle of field.

QuoteWhat is amazing is Bears would risk Megatron 1-on-1 vs. Zack Bowman, who had battled cramps during the game.

QuoteNaturally, Bears went to cover 2 on next down and had help for Bowman on same play.

Speaking of the secondary - I have to say I didn't pay much attention to them because I was having too much fun watching the linebackers smack people in the nuts, and the Lions didn't throw downfield at all until the end of the game. How much playing time did Major Wright get? I remember definitely a few plays but can't recall if he was at strong, free or a little of each.

He was in for two full series. They rotated the three a couple times. The secondary played well when they had the chance outside of that awful, awful call against Calvin. I just liked that they mostly didn't get a chance. I'd like that to keep up.