News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears vs. Lions Paulcast - Sunday September 12th, 2010  ( 30,572 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears vs. Lions Paulcast - Sunday September 12th, 2010
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 12:36:44 PM
Quote from: R-V on September 13, 2010, 12:35:10 PM
You hoopleheads are all overlooking the most obvious reason why Lovie chose not to take the lead. He knows that when the Bears are in the lead, he will revert to his tendency of calling that horseshit prevent defense he loves so very much. So he chose to wait as long possible to take the lead, thus ensuring that the defense would continue to play well until the very end.

The best part about calling that awful prevent defense was that he then switched to man 11-on-11 defense and left Calvin Johnson in single coverage the second the Lions actually Were threatening. THAT'S OUR LOVIE!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2010, 04:05:15 PM »
If you can't beat 'em....sign their old castoffs.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
Maybe it wasn't meatballness, but statfaggery that led to the decision to go for it on fourth down.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2010, 04:12:08 PM »
Quote from: fiveouts on September 13, 2010, 04:06:06 PM
Maybe it wasn't meatballness, but statfaggery that led to the decision to go for it on fourth down.

I'm not going to argue this. I had actually forgotten about this study, which came to light to me after hearing about this coach's tendency to never kick. If any argument is to be made is that this was maybe one of the times you should kick, to ensure you got the lead, but I rest my point. I feel beaten... by statfaggotry... Fuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 04:12:08 PM

I'm not going to argue this. I had actually forgotten about this study, which came to light to me after hearing about this coach's tendency to never kick. If any argument is to be made is that this was maybe one of the times you should kick, to ensure you got the lead, but I rest my point. I feel beaten... by statfaggotry... Fuck

Eh. I still think that stat ignores that football doesn't exist in a void. The Lions had been stuffing the Bears in short yardage pretty effectively all day. You have to take that in consideration. Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to go for it on 4th down, but the play they used was awful, awful. Also, TRY THE FUCKING SNEAK.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 04:18:50 PM

Eh. I still think that stat ignores that football doesn't exist in a void. The Lions had been stuffing the Bears in short yardage pretty effectively all day. You have to take that in consideration. Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to go for it on 4th down, but the play they used was awful, awful. Also, TRY THE FUCKING SNEAK.

Yea. That was what I thought they should have done in the first place*. Also, in regards to that story in SI. One thing I just remembered is that it's high school football. There is big differences in the kickers at that level and the NFL level. The yardage discrepancies may overcome the odds. I would think you'd need to have a pretty good team to do it too.

*thinking of the sneak, reminds me of a story from high school. Our freshman year, we were playing a game against a school that had a good freshman team and they were about 2x the size of our school, so they had 20 kids in the school. We used to run "QB sneak on the nudge" which was just a silent count, blocking was minimal from the line because he was past us within a yard or two. Late in the first half against them, it was 4th and 20. Our coach called that play, and our QB ran it in for a score from 45 yards out. I know the younger you are the more a stud athlete can dominate another team, but still, that play was nothing short of remarkable.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 04:30:05 PM

Yea. That was what I thought they should have done in the first place*. Also, in regards to that story in SI. One thing I just remembered is that it's high school football. There is big differences in the kickers at that level and the NFL level. The yardage discrepancies may overcome the odds. I would think you'd need to have a pretty good team to do it too.

*thinking of the sneak, reminds me of a story from high school. Our freshman year, we were playing a game against a school that had a good freshman team and they were about 2x the size of our school, so they had 20 kids in the school. We used to run "QB sneak on the nudge" which was just a silent count, blocking was minimal from the line because he was past us within a yard or two. Late in the first half against them, it was 4th and 20. Our coach called that play, and our QB ran it in for a score from 45 yards out. I know the younger you are the more a stud athlete can dominate another team, but still, that play was nothing short of remarkable.

That's a terrible David Foster Wallace impersonation.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: September 13, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »
All the statfaggery in the world can't explain why they didn't sneak.  Its simple: when you only need to move the ball 10 inches, never run back two yards to try and get it. 

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 13, 2010, 04:33:28 PM

He forgot the part about his dad coming down to the basement while Yeti was watching TV and inexplicably exposing his genitals to him.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 13, 2010, 04:43:18 PM

He forgot the part about his dad coming down to the basement while Yeti was watching TV and inexplicably exposing his genitals to him.

Also, it needed to be about 957 pages longer.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2010, 05:50:36 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 05:49:04 PM

I think we can all agree that no Yeti post has ever needed to be longer.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »
I would like to see Chester Taylor take the handoff over Forte in short yardage for awhile. He seems to get lower and move the pile a little more. What sayeth?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2010, 09:24:17 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 13, 2010, 09:01:46 PM
I would like to see Chester Taylor take the handoff over Forte in short yardage for awhile. He seems to get lower and move the pile a little more. What sayeth?

I'm okay with that. Forte needs to be the primary ball carrier between the 20s, but Taylor's a better blocker or 3rd down and moves the ball better in short yardage.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 09:24:17 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 13, 2010, 09:01:46 PM

I'm okay with that. Forte needs to be the primary ball carrier between the 20s, but Taylor's a better blocker or 3rd down and moves the ball better in short yardage.

Alright, let's do it. (Adjusts headset and looks upward at nothing in particular)
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2010, 10:07:23 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on September 13, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 05:49:04 PM

I think we can all agree that no Yeti post has ever needed to be longer.

I think it's clear I didn't think this through.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck