News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: You Tube discoveries  ( 410,160 )

MDZ

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: You Tube discoveries
« Reply #780 on: July 01, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Quote from: bocaj on July 01, 2008, 12:49:31 PM
Quote from: Jon on July 01, 2008, 09:21:10 AM
Quote from: bocaj on July 01, 2008, 12:54:56 AM
"A Bucket of Blood"?
That is one of my top five films ever.

Anyone who uses "sapience" instead of the much more common and pretty much synonymous "wisdom" probably needs to stop checking the thesaurus and just watch the movie before he decides to say "dipsomaniacal" in lieu of "drunk," or other such callow douchery.

I know what every word I use is and means before I use it (i.e., I don't look up synonyms). My lack of full comprehension of a particular word or usage of certain words that may not be most appropriate in their respective context does not equate me entering every word I use in a post to find similar words and then using said similar word in a newly updated post. C'mon, you're more smart (or, wait, should I have used "perspicacious"?) than that!
First off, you're just wrong.  If you don't understand the proper usage of a word, then you don't know it.  Improper usage only makes you look like a pretentious imbecile.  There is a proper time and place for every word in the language, and there's absolutely no reason to overcomplicate your thoughts with an unnecessary word choice.  It hurts any argument that you make.  Having heard of a big word, and vaguely knowing what it means does not make you intelligent.  In fact, improper word use shows two things:  ineptness or insecurity (either in yourself, or the validity of your ideas). 

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and get this book: 

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-William-Strunk/dp/0205313426/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214945969&sr=8-2

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #781 on: July 01, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »
Quote from: MDZ on July 01, 2008, 04:09:19 PM
"A Bucket of Blood"?

Anyone who uses "sapience" instead of the much more common and pretty much synonymous "wisdom" probably needs to stop checking the thesaurus and just watch the movie before he decides to say "dipsomaniacal" in lieu of "drunk," or other such callow douchery.

I know what every word I use is and means before I use it (i.e., I don't look up synonyms). My lack of full comprehension of a particular word or usage of certain words that may not be most appropriate in their respective context does not equate me entering every word I use in a post to find similar words and then using said similar word in a newly updated post. C'mon, you're more smart (or, wait, should I have used "perspicacious"?) than that!
First off, you're just wrong.  If you don't understand the proper usage of a word, then you don't know it.  Improper usage only makes you look like a pretentious imbecile.  There is a proper time and place for every word in the language, and there's absolutely no reason to overcomplicate your thoughts with an unnecessary word choice.  It hurts any argument that you make.  Having heard of a big word, and vaguely knowing what it means does not make you intelligent.  In fact, improper word use shows two things:  ineptness or insecurity (either in yourself, or the validity of your ideas). 

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-William-Strunk/dp/0205313426/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214945969&sr=8-2
I approve of both this post and your avatar.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #782 on: July 01, 2008, 04:18:48 PM »
Quote from: powen01 on July 01, 2008, 03:36:49 PM
This thread is starting to make me sad.  Won't anyone think of the children?

Back to youtube then.....fuck the children.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #783 on: July 01, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »
Quote from: butthead on July 01, 2008, 04:18:48 PM

I refuse to click on this link at work.
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #784 on: July 01, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
Quote from: butthead on July 01, 2008, 04:18:48 PM

Intrepid Reader:  Michael Jackson

I approve of this message.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #785 on: July 01, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »
By linking to "Elements of Style," you have immediately made my day.  I had a copy of that book in my bag all throughout college and now in law school.

Good call...

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #786 on: July 02, 2008, 12:18:12 AM »
"A Bucket of Blood"?

While I'm much obliged as to your offering of advise, I must admit that I think you have no clue what I'm meaning: I was purely pointing out a technicality of the nature of human beings, whilst not saying--as been the obligatory insult, this time--that I search thesauruses for words to use. That is, I truly am not a master of any one word I use: I doubt I even can grasp all the connotations and such for the commonly used word "I." The impracticality of such immense pedantic studiousness is simply mind-boggling.

And, by the way, I agree for the ruling that words don't make an argument--I really don't see where this tangent we have ventured on has any relevance, let alone substance to it. All I do is make one inquiry and I get a bunch of knee-jerk, spite-filled rhetoric spewed at me. This is unfair!
How can we win, when fools can be kings? Don't waste your time or time will waste you...

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #787 on: July 02, 2008, 12:24:02 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on July 01, 2008, 12:57:35 PM
"A Bucket of Blood"?

Why not just use "smarter"?  Turd.

TW,

In the interest of fariness, I'm going to step up and point out that he was obviously baiting you and, in your zeal to pick the kid apart and make him another Paul, you fell for it. 

Quote from: bocaj on July 02, 2008, 12:18:12 AM
"A Bucket of Blood"?

While I'm much obliged as to your offering of advise, I must admit that I think you have no clue what I'm meaning: I was purely pointing out a technicality of the nature of human beings, whilst not saying--as been the obligatory insult, this time--that I search thesauruses for words to use. That is, I truly am not a master of any one word I use: I doubt I even can grasp all the connotations and such for the commonly used word "I." The impracticality of such immense pedantic studiousness is simply mind-boggling.

And, by the way, I agree for the ruling that words don't make an argument--I really don't see where this tangent we have ventured on has any relevance, let alone substance to it. All I do is make one inquiry and I get a bunch of knee-jerk, spite-filled rhetoric spewed at me. This is unfair!

You need to stop advocating on your own behalf.   Doing so makes it hard for people like me to do so when it's otherwise warranted.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Al Yellon

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #788 on: July 02, 2008, 01:18:28 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on July 01, 2008, 05:41:14 PM
By linking to "Elements of Style," you have immediately made my day.  I had a copy of that book in my bag all throughout college and now in law school.

Good call...

Oh yeah? Well, I've got two copies and one of them is illustrated.

A winner (and loser) is me.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #789 on: July 02, 2008, 09:04:28 AM »
Quote from: ChuckDickens on July 02, 2008, 01:18:28 AM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on July 01, 2008, 05:41:14 PM

Good call...

Oh yeah? Well, I've got two copies and one of them is illustrated.

A winner (and loser) is me.
Is the illustrated one in crayon? Like mine is...

Another good style guide:
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

QuoteBut one can often be in doubt about the effect of a word or a phrase, and one needs rules that one can rely on when instinct fails. I think the following rules will cover most cases:

(i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

(ii) Never us a long word where a short one will do.

(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.

(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #790 on: July 02, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »
Quote from: Mike D on July 02, 2008, 12:24:02 AM
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on July 01, 2008, 12:57:35 PM
"A Bucket of Blood"?

Why not just use "smarter"?  Turd.

TW,

In the interest of fariness, I'm going to step up and point out that he was obviously baiting you and, in your zeal to pick the kid apart and make him another Paul, you fell for it. 

"A Bucket of Blood"?

You need to stop advocating on your own behalf.   Doing so makes it hard for people like me to do so when it's otherwise warranted.

I don't know why you think you need to defend bocaj. He knows 3,600,345 words that he can use to defend himself.

Well, he sort of knows them.

I'm not sure what confuses me more: one of bocaj's attempts at a coherent, interesting post or you always rushing to his aid. Baffling.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #791 on: July 02, 2008, 10:41:18 AM »
Quote from: Jon on July 02, 2008, 09:04:28 AM

QuoteBut one can often be in doubt about the effect of a word or a phrase, and one needs rules that one can rely on when instinct fails. I think the following rules will cover most cases:

(i) Never gild the lily by using a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print. Think outside the box, lest you beat a proverbial dead horse.

(ii) Never utilize sesquipedalian verbiage where compendious phraseology will suffice.

(iii) If it is possible to cut an unnecessary, superfluous word out, always cut that extraneous word out.

(iv) The passive should not be used where the active could be.

(v) Never use un mot étrangère, technical lexis, or 733t5p34k if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than sound like Bocaj.

Mike Fontenot is a simulacrum'd
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

MDZ

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #792 on: July 02, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
"A Bucket of Blood"?

I've completely missed the point, so I'll use some more big words in a completely unnecessary fashion.

Sorry to the rest of you.  Especially MikeD, I was actually trying to help bocaj so that there would be no need to come to his defense.  Here's some Venture Bros. clips:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ajocXQg445s
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j_gfwpj2-00&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jek-yuqmkrU

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #793 on: July 02, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »
Quote from: Thrillho on July 02, 2008, 10:41:18 AM
Quote from: Jon on July 02, 2008, 09:04:28 AM

(i) Never gild the lily by using a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print. Think outside the box, lest you beat a proverbial dead horse.

(ii) Never utilize sesquipedalian verbiage where compendious phraseology will suffice.

(iii) If it is possible to cut an unnecessary, superfluous word out, always cut that extraneous word out.

(iv) The passive should not be used where the active could be.

(v) Never use un mot étrangère, technical lexis, or 733t5p34k if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than sound like Bocaj.

Mike Fontenot is a simulacrum'd
I must break you.

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #794 on: July 02, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »
I love you all!
How can we win, when fools can be kings? Don't waste your time or time will waste you...