News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,045 )

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #600 on: April 22, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »
Well, since the REAL-life season began, I decided to start a franchise with the Cubs.  I had an interesting couple of games against the Brewers in that in Sean Marshall's start, he basically no-hit Milwaukee through 6.2 innings and I eventually won 7-2.  The Brewers had no clue how to hit him.  They were...clueless.  Then, Zambrano starts the next game and I'm thinking "this should be cake."  8 runs and 2+ innings later, Z is out after a miserable performance.

I proceed to come back, slowly and surely, and get the game to 13-10 in the ninth and finally lose 13-11 to Jeff Suppan of all people.  I scored a lot of my runs off HRs, but that's because the Brewers bullpen (the guys the computer trotted out were Mark DeFilice and some goon named Mitch Stetter) served up meat the rest of the game.  Uncle Milton also went 4-5 with 2 HR, a 2B and 7 RBI.

There are still some really weird things that go on in the outfield and infield.  The infielders (the ones I "control") and outfielders will run in the direction of the ball, like normal, then "hicup" causing them to basically let the ball skirt by them.  Anybody else getting this quirk?  Anyway, just thought I'd try to revive the thread.  I doubt I succeed.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #601 on: April 22, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 22, 2009, 11:50:08 AM
Well, since the REAL-life season began, I decided to start a franchise with the Cubs.  I had an interesting couple of games against the Brewers in that in Sean Marshall's start, he basically no-hit Milwaukee through 6.2 innings and I eventually won 7-2.  The Brewers had no clue how to hit him.  They were...clueless.  Then, Zambrano starts the next game and I'm thinking "this should be cake."  8 runs and 2+ innings later, Z is out after a miserable performance.

I proceed to come back, slowly and surely, and get the game to 13-10 in the ninth and finally lose 13-11 to Jeff Suppan of all people.  I scored a lot of my runs off HRs, but that's because the Brewers bullpen (the guys the computer trotted out were Mark DeFilice and some goon named Mitch Stetter) served up meat the rest of the game.  Uncle Milton also went 4-5 with 2 HR, a 2B and 7 RBI.

There are still some really weird things that go on in the outfield and infield.  The infielders (the ones I "control") and outfielders will run in the direction of the ball, like normal, then "hicup" causing them to basically let the ball skirt by them.  Anybody else getting this quirk?  Anyway, just thought I'd try to revive the thread.  I doubt I succeed.

Maybe you just suck at video games.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #602 on: April 22, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 22, 2009, 12:09:07 PM

Oh Fork.  You and your insight...
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #603 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 22, 2009, 12:18:16 PM
Quote from: Fork on April 22, 2009, 12:09:07 PM

Oh Fork.  You and your insight...

I'm Stale Joke And Insight Guy...it's my niche.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #604 on: June 08, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »
I know the barrel roll video was posted, but here's a poorly made but really funny take on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r66RuVoNmMw&feature=related

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #605 on: June 18, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »
There's a demo for The Bigs 2. Is this game as retarded at it sounds? Anyone play the first one?

There used to be a game called NHL Hitz that was actually fucking awesome, maybe this is similar?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #606 on: June 18, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »
Quote from: Slak on June 18, 2009, 01:20:20 PM
There's a demo for The Bigs 2. Is this game as retarded at it sounds? Anyone play the first one?

There used to be a game called NHL Hitz that was actually fucking awesome, maybe this is similar?

I played the first one.  It's completely retarded AND kind of awesome.  There's not a lot of long-term replay value, but it was a simple, I'm-going-to-win-by-ten-or-more-runs game.  It's at least worth a rental.
Hire Jim Essian!

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #607 on: June 18, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »
Have they issued an updated version of this to reflect the dogshit Cubs offense?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #608 on: June 18, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »
Quote from: RV on June 18, 2009, 03:00:08 PM
Have they issued an updated version of this to reflect the dogshit Cubs offense?

Anger...building...

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #609 on: June 18, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »
Quote from: Slak on June 18, 2009, 03:04:26 PM
Quote from: RV on June 18, 2009, 03:00:08 PM

Anger...building...

OMG dudez Moms basement ridicule TURNED OUR KUBBIEZ AROUND!!!11!!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #610 on: June 18, 2009, 05:18:13 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 18, 2009, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: Slak on June 18, 2009, 01:20:20 PM

I played the first one.  It's completely retarded AND kind of awesome.  There's not a lot of long-term replay value, but it was a simple, I'm-going-to-win-by-ten-or-more-runs game.  It's at least worth a rental.

I just played the demo of this and lost 29-2.  It's AL All-Stars vs. NL All-Stars.  Apparently, anything that's not a perfect pitch gets hit out of the park.  Needless to say, I made 9 good pitches in the three innings I played.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #611 on: June 30, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
Okay, fuck this retarded game and its catch-up logic.  I put this game back in the last couple of nights because I was itching for some baseball.  I was beating the Astros 5-3 after 6, and Berkman crushed a three-run homer to the opposite field OVER the left field wall in Minute Maid on a two-seamer from Harden on the black.  Okay, fine.  It was only his fourth hit, fifth RBI, and second home run of the game at that point.  I came back the next inning and tied it 6-6.  Then Kaz fucking Matsui PULLED the exact same pitch over the right field wall to give them a 7-6 lead, which they held.

Both pitches were maxed out in effort and both hit their location perfectly.  In fact, I think both were technically low and away.  Oh, and I'm only playing on default "Pro" sliders.  This game has a shitload of potential, but I think it was seriously made by people who have never watched baseball.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #612 on: June 30, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 30, 2009, 09:40:05 AM
Okay, fuck this retarded game and its catch-up logic.  I put this game back in the last couple of nights because I was itching for some baseball.  I was beating the Astros 5-3 after 6, and Berkman crushed a three-run homer to the opposite field OVER the left field wall in Minute Maid on a two-seamer from Harden on the black.  Okay, fine.  It was only his fourth hit, fifth RBI, and second home run of the game at that point.  I came back the next inning and tied it 6-6.  Then Kaz fucking Matsui PULLED the exact same pitch over the right field wall to give them a 7-6 lead, which they held.

Both pitches were maxed out in effort and both hit their location perfectly.  In fact, I think both were technically low and away.  Oh, and I'm only playing on default "Pro" sliders.  This game has a shitload of potential, but I think it was seriously made by people who have never watched baseball.

That does suck, indeed.  However, it's not beyond the realm of virtual possibility that a team can come back on you.  At least you're not winning EVERY game, amiright?

I, like you, have put the game back in the tray because I was itching for some baseball.  I also realized that 2K did some rearranging of batting stances with some players during the course of me letting the game collect swamp dust on my cypress wood shelf.  Back to the point...I really am peeved at the outfield defensive movement.  I have very capable outfielders on my team, but everything feels so hitchy.  Moreover, God forbid a player track back to the wall and have to play off the padding.  The fielders lose their damn minds going into slow motion trying to pick the ball up, and they usually miss on the first try.  Weird.

Also, stealing.  Have you had any success stealing?  It might because I don't have very many basestealers on my virtual Royals (the best would probably be Gary Matthews, Jr.).  Other than that, I find the game a challenge still.  I'm 13-13 on the young season.  Unfortunately, I have to play the White Sox.  A lot.  I hate laying the White Sox, what with A. J.'s stupid smug face.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #613 on: June 30, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 30, 2009, 09:40:05 AM

I've found myself getting pissed off at MLB 09 when my created pitcher keeps getting these BS hits against him right down the line or just past some defender that somehow lets the ball slip by him...but then I remember the 2K games and tell myself it could be much, MUCH worse.  I think I prefer most of the graphics/animations of 2K9 (a lot of the pitchers' deliveries are just amazing), but gotdam if that game wasn't absolute crap to play.  I started a franchise on The Show and in my first two games against the Astros, there were a total of 16 runs scored between both teams, but only 5 of them came from HRs (a three-run shot from Bradley, a solo shot from Aramis, and a solo shot from Pence).  I still look at everything made after MVP 2005 as a disappointment, but at least The Show is trying its best.  Those twats at 2K are just phoning it in.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #614 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:28 AM »
Competition in the market is key.