News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,037 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #615 on: June 30, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on June 30, 2009, 10:15:28 AM
Competition in the market is key.

I would have absolutely no problem with this exclusive licensing bullshit if the correct companies actually got the rights.  EA had the best baseball game and 2K had the best football game, yet they secured the rights to the wrong sports.  I think EA is finally getting things right with the next-gen Madden games, but NFL 2K5 was the best football game I ever played (for only $20) and MVP 2005 was the best baseball game (or any sports game, for that matter) that I've ever played.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #616 on: June 30, 2009, 11:24:06 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on June 30, 2009, 10:07:10 AM
That does suck, indeed.  However, it's not beyond the realm of virtual possibility that a team can come back on you.  At least you're not winning EVERY game, amiright?

That's not even remotely my point.  I don't WANT to win every game.  I DO want to win the games I SHOULD win.  I lost the first game 1-0 against the Astros because Oswalt pinned my ears back.  That's fine.  But I was fucking crushing the ball in the second game.  Conveniently, most of the shots ended up being ridiculous over-the-shoulder catches for outs by Pence and Bourn.  Moreover, Kaz Matsui should never ever EVER pull a perfectly-placed, maximum-effort two-seamer on the outside corner from Harden on an 0-2 pitch for a home run.  That's just fucking retarded.  So was Berkman's OUT OF THE ENTIRE FUCKING BALLPARK, opposite-field home run on the same fucking pitch.

I'm VERY suspicious of all the one-run losses I seem to get against the CPU.  Harden was filthy until I built the five-run lead (he had a one-hitter), and then all the sudden everyone was knocking him all over the park.  On the flip side, after building a quick 5-run lead, suddenly all my shots that were doubles and home runs turned into outs.  I think there is some serious catch-up logic in this game, and no sports game should EVER have catch-up logic.  It's a horseshit mechanic for lazy sports programmers to make their game feel more exciting.

I had largely the same experience with 2K8.  If they don't get this game right next year, I'm done with baseball gaming until they lose their exclusive license.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #617 on: June 30, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 30, 2009, 11:24:06 AM
That does suck, indeed.  However, it's not beyond the realm of virtual possibility that a team can come back on you.  At least you're not winning EVERY game, amiright?

That's not even remotely my point.  I don't WANT to win every game.  I DO want to win the games I SHOULD win.  I lost the first game 1-0 against the Astros because Oswalt pinned my ears back.  That's fine.  But I was fucking crushing the ball in the second game.  Conveniently, most of the shots ended up being ridiculous over-the-shoulder catches for outs by Pence and Bourn.  Moreover, Kaz Matsui should never ever EVER pull a perfectly-placed, maximum-effort two-seamer on the outside corner from Harden on an 0-2 pitch for a home run.  That's just fucking retarded.  So was Berkman's OUT OF THE ENTIRE FUCKING BALLPARK, opposite-field home run on the same fucking pitch.

I'm VERY suspicious of all the one-run losses I seem to get against the CPU.  Harden was filthy until I built the five-run lead (he had a one-hitter), and then all the sudden everyone was knocking him all over the park.  On the flip side, after building a quick 5-run lead, suddenly all my shots that were doubles and home runs turned into outs.  I think there is some serious catch-up logic in this game, and no sports game should EVER have catch-up logic.  It's a horseshit mechanic for lazy sports programmers to make their game feel more exciting.

I had largely the same experience with 2K8.  If they don't get this game right next year, I'm done with baseball gaming until they lose their exclusive license.

Is there a slider for CPU comeback or anything like that?  I know The Show has an option that you can turn on where the CPU gets a slight edge if they're down and gets a little worse if they're up.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #618 on: June 30, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 30, 2009, 11:24:06 AMI had largely the same experience with 2K8.  If they don't get this game right next year, I'm done with baseball gaming until they lose their exclusive license.

Consider yourselves ON NOTICE, video-game-selling-people. HaRUMPH!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #619 on: June 30, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
It's too bad I've met Kerm, because I would prefer to imagine him as 400 pound man who smells like bacon.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #620 on: June 30, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »

Whoa, killa.  There are 162 games in a season.  Shit happens.  Try pitching out of the zone next time.  Those monkeyfuckers swing and miss at most curves low and away.  I said the same thing about not buying this year's game after last year's monstrosity.  You know you're gonna get it.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #621 on: June 30, 2009, 11:51:36 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on June 30, 2009, 11:37:25 AM

Whoa, killa.  There are 162 games in a season.  Shit happens.  Try pitching out of the zone next time.  Those monkeyfuckers swing and miss at most curves low and away.  I said the same thing about not buying this year's game after last year's monstrosity.  You know you're gonna get it.

God dammit, IAN, you suck at reading.

Quote from: Kermit, B.In fact, I think both were technically low and away.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #622 on: June 30, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 30, 2009, 11:51:36 AM

You suck at video game baseball.  WHAT OF IT!?
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #623 on: June 30, 2009, 11:55:15 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on June 30, 2009, 11:54:30 AM

/takes ball
/goes home
Hire Jim Essian!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #624 on: June 30, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 30, 2009, 11:55:15 AM

/takes ball
/goes home

/high fives IAN

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #625 on: June 30, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on June 30, 2009, 12:01:17 PM

/takes ball
/goes home

/high fives IAN

/fivehead slap
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #626 on: June 30, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on June 30, 2009, 12:05:27 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on June 30, 2009, 12:01:17 PM

/takes ball
/goes home

/high fives IAN

/fivehead slap

/reacharound

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #627 on: June 30, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »

I guess it makes it more realistic when every player in baseball has the plate discipline of Alfonso Soriano and Corey Patterson?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #628 on: June 30, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on June 30, 2009, 12:16:11 PM

I guess it makes it more realistic when every player in baseball has the plate discipline of Alfonso Soriano and Corey Patterson?

Not that it matters, as Soto rarely calls for breaking balls, anyhow.  I had to shake him off about 15 times to get an 0-2 breaking ball.  I know you're high as shit, Geo, but I don't want to throw an inside fastball right now.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #629 on: June 30, 2009, 12:21:58 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 30, 2009, 12:21:00 PM
Quote from: Weebs on June 30, 2009, 12:16:11 PM

Not that it matters, as Soto rarely calls for breaking balls, anyhow.  I had to shake him off about 15 times to get an 0-2 breaking ball.  I know you're high as shit, Geo, but I don't want to throw an inside fastball right now.

You have to shake him off to actually throw the pitch you want?  Can't you just throw it?