News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 67,448 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on December 22, 2014, 04:08:21 PM
Quote from: Eli on December 22, 2014, 03:38:31 PM
Quote from: Fork on December 22, 2014, 03:26:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on December 22, 2014, 02:12:53 PM
Quote from: Fork on December 22, 2014, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 22, 2014, 10:25:42 AM
I'm with Fork. I don't think pitch framing means anything, but if these guys are really good at pitch framing, then maybe it means something.

I think it's more a matter of reputation than actual function, Cutler-boy.

Pitcher reputation or catcher reputation?

Pitchers for sure. Remember the Atlanta strike zone in the 90s?

I do, which reminds me of this hottest of takes.

I am a picky hitter myself in slowpitch softball.

I don't know who that is. His name never appeared when I opened the link. But he admits that he's the type of slow pitch softball player who stands there with his bat on his shoulder and tries to draw walks, which means he is on a level below drunk drivers and child rapists in my mind.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on December 23, 2014, 08:57:27 AM
I'm with Fork. I don't think pitch framing means anything, but if these guys are really good at pitch framing, then maybe it means something.

I don't know who that is. His name never appeared when I opened the link. But he admits that he's the type of slow pitch softball player who stands there with his bat on his shoulder and tries to draw walks, which means he is on a level below drunk drivers and child rapists in my mind.

Matt Trowbridge. He's Rockford's Nick Vlahos

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on December 23, 2014, 08:59:52 AM

I was hoping it was Nick Vlahos. Either way minor city Illinois sportswriters are amazingly horrible.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I suppose Babe Ruth shouldn't be in the HOF either. Once he started hitting the ball out of the park, it made it impossible for defenders to have an honest chance at catching the ball. That's just as bad as throwing games.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on December 23, 2014, 09:32:34 AM

I was hoping it was Nick Vlahos. Either way minor city Illinois sportswriters are amazingly horrible.

I have found this to be true, influenced as they are, by all the amazingly horrible big city Illinois sportswriters.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

yeah but minor city Illinois sports fans are worse. They're just catering to their base. My friends father reads this kind of crap and just nods his head affirmatively while telling me and my friend he refuses to watch the NFL or NBA because "they score too much".
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on December 23, 2014, 10:13:32 AM

yeah but minor city Illinois sports fans are worse. They're just catering to their base. My friends father reads this kind of crap and just nods his head affirmatively while telling me and my friend he refuses to watch the NFL or NBA because "they score too much".
Must be a soccer fan.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
There's a whole lot of words here and I don't understand a lot of them, but the point seems to be that if they're so inclined, the Cubs (and the Red Sox) can basically spend anything they want on draft picks next year.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Starlin got himself arrested this morning after a nightclub shooting his entourage allegedly participated in.  Was already questioned by cops for a different nightclub incident earlier this month (one rumor was someone spilled a drink on him so his pals opened fire, as reasonable men do) and he was accused of sexual assault by a girl he took home from a nightclub two years ago.  Definitely keep going to clubs, that's going well.

Update: Sources confirm ESPN was wrong. His agent says he was not arrested and that DR police told him the video surveillance tape clears him of involvement. Despite all that his agent still thinks he should stop going to clubs. 
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Chris Denorfia. A Cub.

Looks like the LF platoon is squared away.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on December 31, 2014, 12:58:34 PM

Chris Denorfia. A Cub.

Looks like the LF platoon is squared away.

We dodged an Elibullet.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Nick Cafardo, who is generally a legitimate reporter, has the Cubs interested in Zobrist and Shields.

Quote3. Ben Zobrist, 2B/RF, Rays — Zobrist, 33, has one of the biggest trade markets out there. The super utilityman is being pursued seriously by the Giants, Nationals, Angels, and Cubs. The Rays recently acquired Asdrubal Cabrera on a one-year deal, sparking further speculation that Zobrist might be on the move. The Rays are said to be asking for at least one top prospect and a mid-level one.

QuoteJames Shields, RHP, free agent — It hasn't been easy to determine Shields's market. Jon Lester's negotiations were so public, yet Shields's have been private. Still, the teams who have had discussions or shown interest, according to a major league source, are the Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Giants.

I don't really see Shields happening, but Zobrist would be awesome.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2015, 08:20:23 AM
Nick Cafardo, who is generally a legitimate reporter, has the Cubs interested in Zobrist and Shields.

Quote3. Ben Zobrist, 2B/RF, Rays — Zobrist, 33, has one of the biggest trade markets out there. The super utilityman is being pursued seriously by the Giants, Nationals, Angels, and Cubs. The Rays recently acquired Asdrubal Cabrera on a one-year deal, sparking further speculation that Zobrist might be on the move. The Rays are said to be asking for at least one top prospect and a mid-level one.

QuoteJames Shields, RHP, free agent — It hasn't been easy to determine Shields's market. Jon Lester's negotiations were so public, yet Shields's have been private. Still, the teams who have had discussions or shown interest, according to a major league source, are the Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Giants.

Yes, please.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Zobrist would be a great move. More than capable of being a quality OF if things work out in the IF with Javy and Bryant, but able to take over at 2nd or 3rd if needed.

I'd want Shields mostly for the fact that the Cubs would have one of the best rotations in the NL for sure with him on board, but also because I'd love to see Gordo try to spin how the Ricketts are still broke as shit since he went with "the Lester contract was every dime they had saved for three years and now they're tapped angle."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on January 05, 2015, 08:28:51 AM

Zobrist would be a great move. More than capable of being a quality OF if things work out in the IF with Javy and Bryant, but able to take over at 2nd or 3rd if needed.

I'd want Shields mostly for the fact that the Cubs would have one of the best rotations in the NL for sure with him on board, but also because I'd love to see Gordo try to spin how the Ricketts are still broke as shit since he went with "the Lester contract was every dime they had saved for three years and now they're tapped angle."

Zobrist could also mean a competent backup for Rizzo.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16