News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,532 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #780 on: August 01, 2016, 09:34:19 AM »
Between the 9th in Miami and that game last night, it appears the old devil magic has moved up North a bit.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #781 on: August 01, 2016, 09:39:43 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on August 01, 2016, 09:34:19 AM
Between the 9th in Miami and that game last night, it appears the old devil magic has moved up North a bit.

I was so mad the Cardinals managed to tie that game on a little league homer because arguably the best defensive SS in the NL this year tossed a routine relay throw into the dugout. Then they lost on an equally terrible defensive play of their own, so that was fitting.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #782 on: August 01, 2016, 10:01:12 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 01, 2016, 09:39:43 AM

I was so mad the Cardinals managed to tie that game on a little league homer because arguably the best defensive SS in the NL this year tossed a routine relay throw into the dugout. Then they lost on an equally terrible defensive play of their own, so that was fitting.

Mod powers!
M'lady.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #783 on: August 01, 2016, 10:02:56 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 31, 2016, 08:28:31 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2016, 07:26:26 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 31, 2016, 07:16:36 PM
What was your favorite moment of the Brian Matusz Era?

Between sending down La Stella in favor of Coghlan, giving Matusz a start because fuck it why not, and using Joel Peralta at all it feels like the Cubs are using the rest of the season for roster tinkering rather than winning which is pretty fucking dumb considering their lead is now longer even remotely close to insurmountable

Meh, they had to call Matusz up or let him walk. Given that he's a LHP, had good numbers from 2013-15, and was effective in his minor league rehab, it was worth giving him a shot.

I saw this briefly mentioned on Twitter as well but I'm not entirely clear on this point. When he signed with the Cubs did he have a clause in his contract that he could opt out if they didn't call him up by X date this year? And also, now that he's up, he doesn't have to accept a demotion to Iowa, correct?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #784 on: August 01, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 01, 2016, 09:39:43 AM

"Arguably" is right since the two best defensive SSs in the NL plays for The Cubs.  Jerkface.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #785 on: August 01, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 01, 2016, 10:02:56 AM

Between sending down La Stella in favor of Coghlan, giving Matusz a start because fuck it why not, and using Joel Peralta at all it feels like the Cubs are using the rest of the season for roster tinkering rather than winning which is pretty fucking dumb considering their lead is now longer even remotely close to insurmountable

Meh, they had to call Matusz up or let him walk. Given that he's a LHP, had good numbers from 2013-15, and was effective in his minor league rehab, it was worth giving him a shot.

I saw this briefly mentioned on Twitter as well but I'm not entirely clear on this point. When he signed with the Cubs did he have a clause in his contract that he could opt out if they didn't call him up by X date this year? And also, now that he's up, he doesn't have to accept a demotion to Iowa, correct?

Yes, my understanding was he could opt out if he wasn't selected by 8/1. And yes, it appears he's out of options so he would/will need to be DFA'd.

Edit: He's been released.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #786 on: August 01, 2016, 10:47:19 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on August 01, 2016, 10:45:02 AM

Yes, my understanding was he could opt out if he wasn't selected by 8/1. And yes, it appears he's out of options so he would/will need to be DFA'd.

Edit: He's been released.

Once the Odorizzi trade is announced in a few hours, I imagine he will be.

Edit: They didn't wait.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #787 on: August 01, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
I saw this briefly mentioned on Twitter as well but I'm not entirely clear on this point.

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #789 on: August 01, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
Magic number is 50 on August 1.

That'll do.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #790 on: August 02, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
Seriously though, why is Coghlan up and La Stella in Iowa? It just doesn't make any sense. Also, where does Joe Smith fit in? That seems like a strange move. Now Justin Grimm is even more blocked? Then there's Jorge...

I'm just a little weirded out by the roster decisions lately.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #791 on: August 02, 2016, 08:23:23 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 02, 2016, 08:09:08 AM
Seriously though, why is Coghlan up and La Stella in Iowa? It just doesn't make any sense. Also, where does Joe Smith fit in? That seems like a strange move. Now Justin Grimm is even more blocked? Then there's Jorge...

Coghlan is up and La Stella is in Iowa because they want the outfield "depth" (if you can call rostering the worst outfielder in the majors depth) and La Stella had an option left and they figure they can get by for a month before the rosters expand. I don't agree with it either but there's some logic to it.

Joe Smith has been very good against right handed batters in his career and he gets groundballs 60% of the time against right handed batters, so presumably in the middle innings if Joe really needs a groundball from a right handed batter Smith is your ROOGY, while Wood or Montgomery is your LOOGY. My guess is Joe Nathan's probably not long for the world, but maybe they'll decide to do with Grimm what they're doing with Coghlan and just wait for September 1st. Their starters are going 6 or 7 pretty regularly and they have the Strop/Rondon/Chapman trio for save situations so my guess is they don't think there will even be that many opportunities for Smith or Grimm to fuck things up.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #792 on: August 02, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 02, 2016, 08:23:23 AM

Coghlan is up and La Stella is in Iowa because they want the outfield "depth" (if you can call rostering the worst outfielder in the majors depth) and La Stella had an option left and they figure they can get by for a month before the rosters expand. I don't agree with it either but there's some logic to it.

Joe Smith has been very good against right handed batters in his career and he gets groundballs 60% of the time against right handed batters, so presumably in the middle innings if Joe really needs a groundball from a right handed batter Smith is your ROOGY, while Wood or Montgomery is your LOOGY. My guess is Joe Nathan's probably not long for the world, but maybe they'll decide to do with Grimm what they're doing with Coghlan and just wait for September 1st. Their starters are going 6 or 7 pretty regularly and they have the Strop/Rondon/Chapman trio for save situations so my guess is they don't think there will even be that many opportunities for Smith or Grimm to fuck things up.

Is Cahill getting stretched out in Iowa? I'm thinking Joe will want to try giving the starters more of a blow down the stretch as long as it doesn't fuck with them getting home field (and only having to face one of San Francisco/Washington), even with the bullpen suddenly looking like a strength.

But the thing that might make Smith a better pickup than he seems to be on the surface is that sidearm/submarine pitching slot. It's going to be really fucking hard for hitters to adjust to that after seeing Jake a couple times.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #793 on: August 02, 2016, 08:42:34 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 02, 2016, 08:32:00 AM

Is Cahill getting stretched out in Iowa? I'm thinking Joe will want to try giving the starters more of a blow down the stretch as long as it doesn't fuck with them getting home field (and only having to face one of San Francisco/Washington), even with the bullpen suddenly looking like a strength.

But the thing that might make Smith a better pickup than he seems to be on the surface is that sidearm/submarine pitching slot. It's going to be really fucking hard for hitters to adjust to that after seeing Jake a couple times.

Yeah, that's what Jed said. He gives a completely different look and he gets groundballs, whereas presumably the rest of the playoff bullpen would be almost all power/strikeout guys. It's a matchup thing and they gave up nothing to get him so it's fine. If it had been their only move that would have been annoying but they did add the best closer in baseball so I think it'll work out OK. If Heyward keeps up this little streak of looking semi-competent at the plate and maybe if Soler can be as good in August/September/October as he was last year that'll be as good as any deadline addition they could have made to help the outfield.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #794 on: August 02, 2016, 08:55:41 AM »

I understand the logic about the options and the numbers, but what about the fact that Coghlan sucks and La Stella doesn't? Especially when it comes to baseball stuff.

If you wanted another outfielder, then keep La Stella up. That basically makes Bryant a starting outfielder (which he's been most of the season) and you get more AB's for Javy. It's not like Coghlan can defense better than anyone else. And La Stella's AB's are superior to Coghlan's. It's STRANGE, man.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"