News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Earworms  ( 8,865 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Earworms
« on: July 06, 2020, 12:04:43 PM »
Every so often a song invades my brain and stays there until another one drives it out.  Recently it was "Ain't We Got Fun".  That was ironic during this lockdown pandemic.  But it has been replaced by "You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby".  I have come to the conclusion that song was written by a very ill pedophile.  "You must have been a beautiful baby...You must have been a beautiful child...Because baby, look at you now."  Who else could look at an attractive adult and wonder what that person looked like as an infant?

Why don't you share your earworms with us?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Earworms
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 06, 2020, 12:04:43 PM
Every so often a song invades my brain and stays there until another one drives it out.  Recently it was "Ain't We Got Fun".  That was ironic during this lockdown pandemic.  But it has been replaced by "You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby".  I have come to the conclusion that song was written by a very ill pedophile.  "You must have been a beautiful baby...You must have been a beautiful child...Because baby, look at you now."  Who else could look at an attractive adult and wonder what that person looked like as an infant?

I seem to remember some song about girls and the summer...
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 04:31:14 PM »
I'm not sure you want to open this can of worms, as I tend to wake with a different one on a daily basis, with no discernible subconscious logic underlying the choice.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on July 06, 2020, 04:31:14 PM
I'm not sure you want to open this can of worms, as I tend to wake with a different one on a daily basis, with no discernible subconscious logic underlying the choice.
I am older than you and thus have been exposed to many, many, more tunes that rattle around in my head.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 06, 2020, 12:34:13 PM

Thanks.  Now I've got the Beach Boys shouting "California Girls" at me.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 11:59:42 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 07, 2020, 08:26:58 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 06, 2020, 12:34:13 PM

Thanks.  Now I've got the Beach Boys shouting "California Girls" at me.

Jesus, I've had "Kokomo" for days on end. I'm trying to fight it, but after four fucking hours trying to get the fucking Illinois Web site to work and giving up with a nastygram,* this is the sort of shit that's going to start rattling around my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSRGnS7l3A

Unrelated to the foregoing:

Cthulhu is not the answer, Stew. Warren Harding is not the answer. Bryan & Dodge may be the answer.

QuoteThis amazingly broken site, which continually forgets my login, also WILL NOT ACCEPT A CHANGE IN PHONE NUMBER.

I have been at this six ways to Sunday, because my SNAP/Medicaid renewal letter (received well after the optimal date, 'natch) cheerfully suggested that I could complete most of the redetermination at "Manage My Case." It would be charitable to describe this as a clusterfuck.

"You have entered a Date of Change, but have not told us what changed. Please enter your changes before clicking the Next button"

Why, yes, I DID TELL YOU WHAT CHANGED, WHICH IS THE G-DDAMNED PHONE NUMBER. There appears to be no obvious way to just do the freaking renewal.

As G-d as my witness, if anybody has the temerity to tell me that I am technologically impaired, I'm going to rain holy hell on them with my meager two years of graduate school in computer science. I have literally wasted precious *hours* that could have been better spent, y'know, working on my Disability application or looking for some remote part-time work, but no, I have been dealing with this train wreck.

HTH. HAND. FOADIAF.

cc: Pritzy (Actually, I'm going to one way or the other, but I'm just waiting for the hilarity that is going to ensue on the odd chance that there is a sentient reply to this feedback.)
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:28:42 PM »
OK, this morning it was a combination of "Wild Horses" and "My Friend the Witch Doctor," sometimes rapidly alternating, sometimes superposed. Lasted for a good five hours.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:04:27 PM »
Oh, when it rains, it pours.* Superpose this with The Streetbeater.

It was only one puff.

*I never knew the history of this phrase vis-?-vis Morton Salt until my shrink was ending a session. I don't know whether this routine is simple chitchat or cognitive testing.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 01:56:47 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on July 08, 2020, 09:28:42 PM
OK, this morning it was a combination of "Wild Horses" and "My Friend the Witch Doctor," sometimes rapidly alternating, sometimes superposed. Lasted for a good five hours.

You win.  I feel very sorry for you.  Have you tried hypnosis?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 10:05:38 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 09, 2020, 01:56:47 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on July 08, 2020, 09:28:42 PM

You win.  I feel very sorry for you.  Have you tried hypnosis?

The next was actually a merciful choice from my subconscious. It took me a couple of sleep cycles to find an REM drama that I could actually sort of retain, but I have to be careful here not to contaminate it with the other two recent Towel* of Babel standouts.

I was half-observer, half-participant in this one, which was long enough to sustain some wakefulness uintil a fade-out, when I as observer decided that the d?nouement of just looking at books while thinking I had preserved an earworm was enough.

I mean, the observer of the dreaming body thought it was really good -- semi-romantic holding a strong suit at the beginning but then fading into cameos toward the end. The dreamer went through several hundred Post-Its in its late moments and realized that running out of time was congruent with getting bored, thus planting stakes.

But I really, really thought I had preserved one couplet. The effort was so focused that I have now recovered a second character (the German shepherd). It's perhaps too late, and I'm back to the Witch Doctor. There's no way I could really have preserved short of mind-melding with Dubbs's manipura chakra or something similar.

This is actually putting me off the avocado I'm trying to have for dessert.

*Seems appropriate.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 03:20:36 PM »
Good to see new topics
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 10:15:19 PM »
The theme from "What's Happening!!" is going to be the death of me.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 02:40:49 PM »
Now I am being plagued (no irony intended) by a modern classical piece.  I cannot remember the name or the composer.  It is the one with the gigantic choral group.  I think it was the theme music in a movie about a guy who goes off to a South American jungle.  Help!

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 02:55:46 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 20, 2020, 02:40:49 PM
Now I am being plagued (no irony intended) by a modern classical piece.  I cannot remember the name or the composer.  It is the one with the gigantic choral group.  I think it was the theme music in a movie about a guy who goes off to a South American jungle.  Help!

No. It is not the soundtrack of "The Mission"  which starred De Niro and Jeremy Irons.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 20, 2020, 02:55:46 PM
Quote from: CBStew on August 20, 2020, 02:40:49 PM

No. It is not the soundtrack of "The Mission"  which starred De Niro and Jeremy Irons.

That's Baroque, anyway. I'm afraid this is the best I can do at the moment. I'll check with my friend who's a classical music critic.