News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 67,336 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2015, 01:00:18 PM
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2015, 11:45:19 AM
Quote from: Oleg on January 05, 2015, 11:31:56 AM
Why? He has raw power coming out of his big, fat ass and has a really good to great hitting tool.  And, he's 22 years old.

I think people just assume he has power because he's fat. None of that has really translated to in-game power. And he absolutely has to be a DH since his defense is so bad, so he will have to hit a TON, which he hasn't done in two years.

Having to repeat high-A ball at 21 and losing 100 OPS points from your first go-round isn't a good sign. I think there's a decent chance he doesn't ever get more than a few hundred at-bats in the majors, if he ever even gets there.

I had the same thought, but then I noticed that his first go round was, like, four ABs, so I stopped hyperventilating and remembered that he's only just turned 22.

No one is hyperventilating. I just think he's a chunky pile of meh who doesn't have any bearing on the Cubs' plans.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2015, 01:17:00 PM
Why? He has raw power coming out of his big, fat ass and has a really good to great hitting tool.  And, he's 22 years old.

I think people just assume he has power because he's fat. None of that has really translated to in-game power. And he absolutely has to be a DH since his defense is so bad, so he will have to hit a TON, which he hasn't done in two years.

Having to repeat high-A ball at 21 and losing 100 OPS points from your first go-round isn't a good sign. I think there's a decent chance he doesn't ever get more than a few hundred at-bats in the majors, if he ever even gets there.

I had the same thought, but then I noticed that his first go round was, like, four ABs, so I stopped hyperventilating and remembered that he's only just turned 22.

No one is hyperventilating. I just think he's a chunky pile of meh who doesn't have any bearing on the Cubs' plans.

But, could he have some bearing on Ruben Amaro's or Matthew Silverman's plans?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Oleg on January 05, 2015, 01:45:07 PM

I don't think he'd have any significant bearing on them, no.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2015, 01:55:52 PM

You are the destroyer of fat guys' dreams everywhere.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

It's like a damn Jew factory down there.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

I'd certainly co-sign trading something that looks like Vogelbach for Cole Hamels.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on January 05, 2015, 02:18:42 PM

I'd certainly co-sign trading something that looks like Vogelbach for Cole Hamels.

Everyone in the universe would except for Ruben Amaro.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

Trading for an AL-only player like Vogelbach strikes me as a very Ruben Amaro move.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Also, The Cubs' 11-20 ranked prospects would probably end up on many teams' top 10. 

You were busy today, Oleg!

QuoteOleg (Denver): Are The Cubs' 11-20 prospects as good or better than just about any other team's top 10?
John Manuel: Oleg, the answer is no, but this is a good BA Grade question. We have an expanded explainer in this year's book about the BA Grades that I'm excited about; I'm not sure why we never explained them with the detail we did this year. Looking at the Cubs' 11-20 BA Grades, every single 11-20 player has at least a 50 Grade, and just two of those guys are Extremes. That's the best 11-20 I can see on the spreadsheet of all 900 players with their grades. Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rockies and Twins come close in terms of similar depth of high-ceiling talent, but not quite there with the Cubs. The BA Grades lets you glance quickly to see just how much high-ceiling talent a team has; I like the grades. I would look forward to feedback from those of you who get the handbook, you know where to find me.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on January 05, 2015, 07:23:37 PM
Also, The Cubs' 11-20 ranked prospects would probably end up on many teams' top 10. 

QuoteOleg (Denver): Are The Cubs' 11-20 prospects as good or better than just about any other team's top 10?
John Manuel: Oleg, the answer is no, but this is a good BA Grade question. We have an expanded explainer in this year's book about the BA Grades that I'm excited about; I'm not sure why we never explained them with the detail we did this year. Looking at the Cubs' 11-20 BA Grades, every single 11-20 player has at least a 50 Grade, and just two of those guys are Extremes. That's the best 11-20 I can see on the spreadsheet of all 900 players with their grades. Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rockies and Twins come close in terms of similar depth of high-ceiling talent, but not quite there with the Cubs. The BA Grades lets you glance quickly to see just how much high-ceiling talent a team has; I like the grades. I would look forward to feedback from those of you who get the handbook, you know where to find me.

Was every answer a plug for the book?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on January 05, 2015, 09:49:11 PM

Was every answer a plug for the book?

Buy it to find out.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

*Menver
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

That was my first of three questions I posted and was totally facetious.  I also posted one about where Yoan Moncada will rank once The Cubs sign him on July 2. Manual chose to answer someone else's question about him. He said he'd rank just above Soler. Soler will be a top 15 prospect, if not top 10 in the book.

Quote from: Tonker on January 06, 2015, 02:26:48 AM

*Menver

This ain't Facebook.  There's like 3 people here who get this.

Also, 44 days till pitchers and catcher report? I can't fucking wait.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Oleg on January 06, 2015, 09:35:15 AM
I also posted one about where Yoan Moncada will rank once The Cubs sign him on July 2.

And I bet you got his name right in your question.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on January 06, 2015, 09:42:50 AM
Quote from: Oleg on January 06, 2015, 09:35:15 AM
I also posted one about where Yoan Moncada will rank once The Cubs sign him on July 2.

And I bet you got his name right in your question.

I did but I Googled it just to make sure.