News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Watchmen  ( 11,413 )

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 08:20:07 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on November 14, 2008, 10:36:46 AM
Quote from: RV on November 14, 2008, 10:32:12 AM
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on November 14, 2008, 10:10:00 AM
DPD.

This looks awesome..

http://io9.com/5086630/new-watchmen-trailer-is-full-of-organ-playing-death-dealing-craziness

Wow, looks great. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it'll be better than Boy Meets World.

I've just been reading about this, been seein all that. It looks pretty excellent. The Rorshach face guy looks sweet.

I haven't read the novel, which I did before I saw V for Vendetta. I thought that movie did a good job of staying faithful - but I think I'll just skip the book for Watchmen and read it after. I don't want it to ruin the movie.

I had no idea that there waw a book.  I loved the movie.  Was the book worth the read, RV?
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 08:59:02 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 12, 2009, 08:20:07 AM
DPD.

This looks awesome..

http://io9.com/5086630/new-watchmen-trailer-is-full-of-organ-playing-death-dealing-craziness

Wow, looks great. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it'll be better than Boy Meets World.

I've just been reading about this, been seein all that. It looks pretty excellent. The Rorshach face guy looks sweet.

I haven't read the novel, which I did before I saw V for Vendetta. I thought that movie did a good job of staying faithful - but I think I'll just skip the book for Watchmen and read it after. I don't want it to ruin the movie.

I had no idea that there waw a book.  I loved the movie.  Was the book worth the read, RV?

Was the book worth the read, Slaky?

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on February 12, 2009, 08:16:41 AM
8-bit glory.

http://www.minutemenarcade.com/uk/

I shared this link and got the following response:

QuoteLeaving the Alan Moore connection aside for a moment, it's cool enough to walk through 1940s Brooklyn dressed as an owl beating up the Irish.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 09:08:34 AM »
Quote from: RV on February 12, 2009, 08:59:02 AM
DPD.

This looks awesome..

I'm perpetually ashamed of my internetness.  Sorry, RV and was the book worth the read, Slaky?
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on February 12, 2009, 09:08:34 AM
Quote from: RV on February 12, 2009, 08:59:02 AM
DPD.

This looks awesome..

I'm perpetually ashamed of my internetness.  Sorry, RV and was the book worth the read, Slaky?

As the resident Geek, I can say that the book is better than the movie.

We have a friend who saw the movie, loved it, and went to read the comic and was ashamed by her love for the movie because she felt the comic was so much better.  I don't know if I'd go that far, but in general the works of Alan Moore are far better in print than on film.  I'd also recommend Promethea and, especially, Top 10 which is so interwoven and layered that it is flawless. 
M'lady.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:23 AM »

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »
Intrepid Reader: IrishYeti:

It needed more blue dong.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 09:08:41 AM »
Since Jon isn't enough of a whore to link to his thoughts, I'll do it for him since I agree with pretty much everything that loser has to say.

http://thundermatt.com/2009/03/thunder-matt-movie-minute-watchmen.html

I can't believe people were complaining that HE CHANGEDZ DA ENDINGZ OH NOEZ! The movie was ridiculously faithful to the source material, almost to a fault. Specifically, I thought the end stayed true to the book, but on screen seemed pretty talk-y and not that awesome.

I'm with Jon in that I really enjoyed it having read the book, but couldn't help but thinking if you hadn't read it, you might have been a bit bogged down by what was going on.

Anybody see it who hasn't read the graphic novel? Interested to hear what you thought. Unless you're Weebs.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 09:10:53 AM »
Quote from: RV on March 09, 2009, 09:08:41 AM
Since Jon isn't enough of a whore to link to his thoughts, I'll do it for him since I agree with pretty much everything that loser has to say.

I can't believe people were complaining that HE CHANGEDZ DA ENDINGZ OH NOEZ! The movie was ridiculously faithful to the source material, almost to a fault. Specifically, I thought the end stayed true to the book, but on screen seemed pretty talk-y and not that awesome.

I'm with Jon in that I really enjoyed it having read the book, but couldn't help but thinking if you hadn't read it, you might have been a bit bogged down by what was going on.

Anybody see it who hasn't read the graphic novel? Interested to hear what you thought. Unless you're Weebs.

I haven't read the "graphic novel" or seen the movie, but I can give you my thoughts on stuff. 
But I do plan on seeing it sometime soon hopefully, and I'll also give you my awesome thoughts on that as well.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
I dragged my fiancee-she's-canadian-you-wouldn't-know-her-we-met-at-niagara-falls to see this on Saturday.  She's never read the source material and despite her unexplainable attraction to me she's got smarts, so I figured she'd be a good gage for how the material translates.

She thought it was "okay."  She said it wasn't the best comic book movie ever, and there wasn't enough occuring on-screen to justify an IMAX experience.  She had expected it to be more visually stunning in the same way that Sin City/300 were, and while the intro part of the movie was in fact totally kick-ass, that sort of thematic art wasn't maintained throughout the course of the movie.

Regarding the intro/recap, she says that if she hadn't read about it in a magazine before we went to see it, then she may not have really understood what they were trying to do with it.

Overall it was a very good movie which was high on the brutal, body-jolting action but lacking a little in the laughs.  I haven't heard how it did over the weekend but it probably would've needed to make 50 million+ to have any shot of breaking even.  The Toronto IMAX theaters were sold out by Friday night, but the regular cinema we went to on Saturday was a little more empty than I would have preferred. 

One other thing -- interestingly, this was the first movie I've seen where they worked really hard to enforce the "nobody under 18" rule.  A lot of kids were carded and denied when trying to get into the theater, even after they'd purchased their tickets.
M'lady.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »

Thanks for keeping the pimp hand strong, RV. But you didn't whore out my OTHER review: http://the-slog.blogspot.com/2009/03/spoiler-laden-watchmen-review.html

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »
Quote from: Jon on March 09, 2009, 09:47:08 AM

Thanks for keeping the pimp hand strong, RV. But you didn't whore out my OTHER review: http://the-slog.blogspot.com/2009/03/spoiler-laden-watchmen-review.html

Your picture just reminded me...some dork sitting next to me at the IMAX was dressed up in a full Rorschach costume and left his mask on for the ENTIRE movie. God damn LARPnerds.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 09:56:37 AM »
Quote from: RV on March 09, 2009, 09:51:48 AM

Your picture just reminded me...some dork sitting next to me at the IMAX was dressed up in a full Rorschach costume and left his mask on for the ENTIRE movie. God damn LARPnerds.
:foreheadpalmslap:

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »

How could he see the screen?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »
Quote from: Tank on March 09, 2009, 10:47:48 AM

How could he see the screen?

He didn't have to see it.   He obviously has the story memorized, pictures and all, and he could FEEL what was going on. 
M'lady.