News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread  ( 75,396 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Jeff Samardzija Defenestration Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 06, 2010, 11:44:59 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 06, 2010, 11:16:16 AM
Quote from: Fork on April 06, 2010, 08:44:27 AM

And how many fucking meatballs will be at Wrigley Field in their green Samardzija shirts?

I fucking hate this fucking team and 99% of those who support it.

Godmotherfucking dammit.

Cripes, man.  It's game 1.  Of 162.  I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend.

He's sucked for two years. He's established a pattern of sucking.

He's a serial sucker.

I had a suit made of serialsucker once...oh god, even I can't bring myelf to put on the forktags...
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 06, 2010, 11:46:06 AM

And how many fucking meatballs will be at Wrigley Field in their green Samardzija shirts?

Godmotherfucking dammit.

Cripes, man.  It's game 1.  Of 162.  I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend.

He's a serial sucker.

I had a suit made of serialsucker once...oh god, even I can't bring myelf to put on the forktags...

Forget it. He's like the King Midas of Suck.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 06, 2010, 12:28:37 PM

Godmotherfucking dammit.

He's a serial sucker.

Maybe he can play second base.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 12:40:17 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 06, 2010, 12:28:37 PM

Godmotherfucking dammit.

He's a serial sucker.

Fork is right. I don't understand how the Samardzija contract doesn't get as much negative publicity as the Soriano or Bradley or Marquis or Jacque Jones contract. He gave a $10 million contract (with a no trade clause) to a guy who had a 4.33 ERA and 1.41 WHIP his last year at ND. Hell, I've heard part of the reason the Peavy trade failed was because they couldn't deal Samardzija. He's done absolutely nothing to earn a dime of that money.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 06, 2010, 12:40:17 PM
I don't understand how the Samardzija contract doesn't get as much negative publicity as the Soriano or Bradley or Marquis or Jacque Jones contract. He gave a $10 million contract (with a no trade clause) to a guy who had a 4.33 ERA and 1.41 WHIP his last year at ND. Hell, I've heard part of the reason the Peavy trade failed was because they couldn't deal Samardzija. He's done absolutely nothing to earn a dime of that money.

Well, there are two reasons:

1) Samardzija will earn as much money in 4 seasons as Soriano will in the next 100 games.

2) His contract does not require a 25-man roster spot.  Jeff can be sent to the minors.  The same could not be said of Soriano or Bradley or Marquis or Jacque Jones.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 06, 2010, 01:00:04 PM
I don't understand how the Samardzija contract doesn't get as much negative publicity as the Soriano or Bradley or Marquis or Jacque Jones contract. He gave a $10 million contract (with a no trade clause) to a guy who had a 4.33 ERA and 1.41 WHIP his last year at ND. Hell, I've heard part of the reason the Peavy trade failed was because they couldn't deal Samardzija. He's done absolutely nothing to earn a dime of that money.

1) Samardzija will earn as much money in 4 seasons as Soriano will in the next 100 games.

2) His contract does not require a 25-man roster spot.  Jeff can be sent to the minors.  The same could not be said of Soriano or Bradley or Marquis or Jacque Jones.

Soriano will still give us FYC moments.

Snork won't FY anybody.

Actually, he FYs us all.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 01:12:37 PM »

Damn, I thought he was out of options already but he was only up and down in 08 & 09.

It just seems like he's sucked longer than that.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »

I realize the contract is relatively minor cash wise. In level of stupidity, however, it's nearly equal. They gave way too much money to a guy who wouldn't have been a first round pick had the Cubs not been determined to steal him away from football. Your second point is also invalid because the very reason he hasn't just spent the last three seasons learning how to pitch in the minors is that Hendry keeps calling him up in hopes that he'll justify the big stupid contract.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 06, 2010, 01:24:02 PM

I realize the contract is relatively minor cash wise. In level of stupidity, however, it's nearly equal. They gave way too much money to a guy who wouldn't have been a first round pick had the Cubs not been determined to steal him away from football. Your second point is also invalid because the very reason he hasn't just spent the last three seasons learning how to pitch in the minors is that Hendry keeps calling him up in hopes that he'll justify the big stupid contract.

I bet they've already made half that cheese back in green t-shirt sales.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »
Your second point is also invalid because the very reason he hasn't just spent the last three seasons learning how to pitch in the minors is that Hendry keeps calling him up in hopes that he'll justify the big stupid contract.

No it's not.  That's just another data point in why Jim Hendry is inept.  Yes, it's a negative data point, but not at Samardzija.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »

Samarja was a fifth round pick. And didn't Eli or someone mention a while back that part of the reason the Samarja pick was so dumb, was that the Cubs went for a relatively cheap first round pick (Colvin) in order to 'save up' and offer Samarja a big contract in the 5th?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 06, 2010, 02:12:47 PM
Samarja was a fifth round pick. And didn't Eli or someone mention a while back that part of the reason the Samarja pick was so dumb, was that the Cubs went for a relatively cheap first round pick (Colvin) in order to 'save up' and offer Samarja a big contract in the 5th?

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but that's the theory.  Since the Cubs didn't have 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks that year, they probably went safe with Colvin because he was seen as a signable college guy who was a decent bet to make the majors, but probably never be a star.  In doing so, they passed over riskier, higher-upside guys like Kyle Drabek and Travis Snider. That left money for them to go after Samardzija, who most teams were afraid of drafting because he was viewed as not very good a tough sign.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 02:28:39 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 06, 2010, 02:25:57 PM

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but that's the theory.  Since the Cubs didn't have 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks that year, they probably went safe with Colvin because he was seen as a signable college guy who was a decent bet to make the majors, but probably never be a star.  In doing so, they passed over riskier, higher-upside guys like Kyle Drabek and Travis Snider. That left money for them to go after Samardzija, who most teams were afraid of drafting because he was viewed as not very good a tough sign.

God I hate the team that I love.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »

THEY SHULD HAAVE TRAYDED 2 GIT LINSEECUM!
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 06, 2010, 02:32:16 PM

THEY SHULD HAAVE TRAYDED 2 GIT LINSEECUM!

Or signed him when they drafted him in the first place?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?