News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Boardwalk Empire  ( 24,259 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Boardwalk Empire
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 03, 2012, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: flannj on December 03, 2012, 08:59:44 AM
Gyp told Joe Masseria that he had 9 of his own men.
With one escaping by hiding in a closet (Tonino).
There were two others on the beach with Gyp after the firefight.
Sure seamed like Richard took care of more than that.

Also, any and all phone conversations between Mikey Doyle and Arnold Rothstein are gold.

A very good episode. I still wish they had wrapped up the Rossetti plot in about four episodes and moved on to more interesting material. With all of the fascinating real-life characters they've fleshed out, they have endless options for storylines more captivating than the cartoonish Rossetti. Al Capone and Chalky were amazing on screen together for starters. Every scene involving Rothstein etc. is fucking amazing. I have hope that the next season will eclipse this one based upon the direction things seemed headed as this one closed out.

Capone working the gatling gun with a cartoonishly large stogie in his mouth was amazing.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 03, 2012, 09:51:41 AM

Also, any and all phone conversations between Mikey Doyle and Arnold Rothstein are gold.

A very good episode. I still wish they had wrapped up the Rossetti plot in about four episodes and moved on to more interesting material. With all of the fascinating real-life characters they've fleshed out, they have endless options for storylines more captivating than the cartoonish Rossetti. Al Capone and Chalky were amazing on screen together for starters. Every scene involving Rothstein etc. is fucking amazing. I have hope that the next season will eclipse this one based upon the direction things seemed headed as this one closed out.

Capone working the gatling gun with a cartoonishly large stogie in his mouth was amazing amusing.

I preferred the scene where Chalky noted that Al was "Quick to pull that pistol." And it was on.

Another gripe I have is the view of Capone's home/personal life, which portrayed him to be a compassionate friend, father and husband who fights for his friends and sings for his deaf son. This was all apropos of nothing because they later portray him a a fork-stabbing, gatling gun firing, racist piece of shit sociopath of the Robert DiNero variety. If they were going to deviate from the cartoonish, hollywood-approved portrayal of Capone for one episode, why didn't they stay with it? This season was all over the damn map. I give it a B-, which made it the best show on television this season, but short of its previous achievements.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 10, 2012, 09:34:11 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 03, 2012, 09:51:41 AM

Capone working the gatling gun with a cartoonishly large stogie in his mouth was amazing amusing.

I preferred the scene where Chalky noted that Al was "Quick to pull that pistol." And it was on.

Another gripe I have is the view of Capone's home/personal life, which portrayed him to be a compassionate friend, father and husband who fights for his friends and sings for his deaf son. This was all apropos of nothing because they later portray him a a fork-stabbing, gatling gun firing, racist piece of shit sociopath of the Robert DiNero variety. If they were going to deviate from the cartoonish, hollywood-approved portrayal of Capone for one episode, why didn't they stay with it? This season was all over the damn map. I give it a B-, which made it the best show on television this season, but short of its previous achievements.

I thought that the season was great, but the final episode was a let down, except for Michael's rampage in the cathouse.  (Isn't that the name of a football player?)  There was so much more that they could have done.  The foreplay was so good that the performance just couldn't match it.  The climax for Rosetti was a let down, notwithstanding the irony of what he was doing when he got it.  He deserved to go out in Butch Cassidy/Sundance fashion with two guns blazing away.  
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 10, 2012, 11:20:00 AM
The climax for Rosetti was a let down, notwithstanding the irony of what he was doing when he got it.  He deserved to go out in Butch Cassidy/Sundance fashion with two guns blazing away.  

I'm wondering of BE is going to start following the Sopranos formula of having different antagonists of the main character come in each season and meet their demise in different fashions.

Sadly, we'll never get the Janice/Richie Aprile "Holy Shit!" moment again.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2012, 01:39:02 PM »
Quote from: Fork on December 10, 2012, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: CBStew on December 10, 2012, 11:20:00 AM
The climax for Rosetti was a let down, notwithstanding the irony of what he was doing when he got it.  He deserved to go out in Butch Cassidy/Sundance fashion with two guns blazing away.  

I'm wondering of BE is going to start following the Sopranos formula of having different antagonists of the main character come in each season and meet their demise in different fashions.

Sadly, we'll never get the Janice/Richie Aprile "Holy Shit!" moment again.

"Get my fuckin' dinner on the table and keep your mouth shut."

I never get tired of that scene.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »
Season 4...

Confusing
Depressing
Violent
"Holy Crap!" Moments
Complex

Diggin' it?
Oh yeah.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2013, 08:55:13 AM »
Quote from: flannj on October 08, 2013, 11:31:59 PM
Season 4...

Confusing
Depressing
Violent
"Holy Crap!" Moments
Complex

Diggin' it?
Oh yeah.

I'm really enjoying it. I had no idea Capone had brothers - great additions to the cast. The direction and cinematography on this show continue to amaze.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 09, 2013, 08:55:13 AM
Season 4...

Confusing
Depressing
Violent
"Holy Crap!" Moments
Complex

Diggin' it?
Oh yeah.

I'm really enjoying it. I had no idea Capone had brothers - great additions to the cast. The direction and cinematography on this show continue to amaze.

This has been one of my favorite shows.  One reason is it's accuracy with regard to details such as the furniture, light fixtures, appliances, kitchen sinks, etc. that you would find in a home in the 1920's.  Because of the Depression and WWII those things were still around decades later and I remember them from my childhood.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 09, 2013, 09:24:07 AM
Season 4...

Confusing
Depressing
Violent
"Holy Crap!" Moments
Complex

Diggin' it?
Oh yeah.

This has been one of my favorite shows.  One reason is it's accuracy with regard to details such as the furniture, light fixtures, appliances, kitchen sinks, etc. that you would find in a home in the 1920's.  Because of the Depression and WWII those things were still around decades later and I remember them from my childhood.

It's been a huge step up from the last season. I'm glad we're focusing more on the real-life characters as they're portrayed here because I'm basically bored with Nucky's gang in A.C. Although, I'm disappointed with the way they've had Rothstein come off the rails because I think he's a fascinating person that they could do a lot more with. I'm not sure about the way they've portrayed Al Capone either but at least it's motivated me to look deeper into his story. I'm making a short list of books on the subject to start reading asap.

Van Alden/Mueller and Richard remain this show's finest creations. I find myself riveted whenever they're on the screen. They seem to have needlessly killed off Eddie. I wonder if the actor has another gig somewhere.  
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
Jeffrey Wright is awesome in everything. But especially here.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 09, 2013, 09:42:37 AM
Quote from: CBStew on October 09, 2013, 09:24:07 AM
Season 4...

Confusing
Depressing
Violent
"Holy Crap!" Moments
Complex

Diggin' it?
Oh yeah.

This has been one of my favorite shows.  One reason is it's accuracy with regard to details such as the furniture, light fixtures, appliances, kitchen sinks, etc. that you would find in a home in the 1920's.  Because of the Depression and WWII those things were still around decades later and I remember them from my childhood.

It's been a huge step up from the last season. I'm glad we're focusing more on the real-life characters as they're portrayed here because I'm basically bored with Nucky's gang in A.C. Although, I'm disappointed with the way they've had Rothstein come off the rails because I think he's a fascinating person that they could do a lot more with. I'm not sure about the way they've portrayed Al Capone either but at least it's motivated me to look deeper into his story. I'm making a short list of books on the subject to start reading asap.

Van Alden/Mueller and Richard remain this show's finest creations. I find myself riveted whenever they're on the screen. They seem to have needlessly killed off Eddie. I wonder if the actor has another gig somewhere.  

The Mueller character is about 180 degrees from the direction of his character in the first two seasons.  He was always peculiar and at the very least a sociopath (remember that he murdered his Jewish partner while baptizing him), but at the same time he was "moral" by his own definition.  He was a strong and willful person.  Now he is completely amoral and takes orders from anyone and seems to have no will of his own.  When he pointed his gun at Al Capone you suspected that his character was going to go off on yet a new direction.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
"Turns out this was her sister"

"Twin sister?"

"No, that's the peculiar aspect."

Without giving too of much the of the other scenes away... damn this show is the bee's knees.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »
Quote from: flannj on October 30, 2013, 09:58:44 PM

"Twin sister?"

Without giving too of much the of the other scenes away... damn this show is the bee's knees.
So, they are now stealing jokes from Coupling?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »

"Twin sister?"

Mickey is just the best. I love that it's basically an annual tradition that he's going to get the shit beat out of him somehow, someway.

Some really good thoughts on the show here:

http://seantcollins.com/tag/boardwalk-empire/

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 31, 2013, 09:10:06 AM

"Twin sister?"

Mickey is just the best. I love that it's basically an annual tradition that he's going to get the shit beat out of him somehow, someway.

Some really good thoughts on the show here:

http://seantcollins.com/tag/boardwalk-empire/

That's a pretty good recap R-V.

Mickey cracks me up in almost every scene he is in, could he be any more annoying?

With how prominently Dunn was featured this episode I kinda had a feeling.
But then just before the conclusion of the fight scene I thought "Oh, no this can't be happening".

EDIT: I just realized how badly I PANKED the last sentence of my original post.
Geez... more ice, less vodka next time.