News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Boardwalk Empire  ( 24,194 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Boardwalk Empire
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 21, 2013, 11:41:03 AM
Quote from: R-V on November 21, 2013, 11:28:11 AM
Quote from: flannj on November 20, 2013, 09:21:50 AM

"THAT'S not why they fought the war, you too smart to be that dumb."

Louis Gossett Jr. knocked it out of the park with his performance, great casting.

And I learned a new word... "buckras".

Man, next week is going to be something, it sucks that it's already the last episode of the season.

Eli's got himself in quite a pickle. Really interested to find out what Nucky's plan is...it's pretty obvious he's figured out that Eli's beholden to Knox, but not sure why he agreed to Eli's idea for the meet. Setting up Narcisse/Masseria for a fall perhaps?

That sounds right. Big meeting of the bosses with Nucky absent gets busted. That talk about Eli running things sounds like a plot to get him taken down as well. And in a Nucky shoots Jimmy kind of twist, Eli's kid gets nabbed and sent up too.

Nucky's not looking for forgiveness you guys.

But I think Nucky made that statement about Eli running things BEFORE Eli outed himself as a snitch. I think Nucky meant it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
Nice twist/closure on Gillian too. Almost got lost in everything else going on.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
I'm not really sure what to say.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »
Quote from: flannj on November 24, 2013, 11:26:52 PM

That last sequence with Richard's dying vision and then the shot of him under the boardwalk with just the sounds of the surf...amazing.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 25, 2013, 08:51:42 AM

That last sequence with Richard's dying vision and then the shot of him under the boardwalk with just the sounds of the surf...amazing.

This was a rip off of "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" from a short story by Ambrose Bierce.
The following from IMDB

"An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge (1962)
"La rivière du hibou" (original title)

28 min   -  Short | Adventure | Drama  -  May 1962 (France)"   

During the Civil War, a Southern civilian is about to be hanged for attempting to sabotage a railway bridge. When the execution takes place from the bridge, the rope breaks and he begins his escape toward home.

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 25, 2013, 09:25:35 AM

This was a rip off of "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" from a short story by Ambrose Bierce.
The following from IMDB

During the Civil War, a Southern civilian is about to be hanged for attempting to sabotage a railway bridge. When the execution takes place from the bridge, the rope breaks and he begins his escape toward home.

I saw that short in 6th grade. Changed my thoughts on film forever.  Him running down the road lined with trees to his woman.... SNAP!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 25, 2013, 10:08:01 AM
Quote from: CBStew on November 25, 2013, 09:25:35 AM

The following from IMDB

I saw that short in 6th grade. Changed my thoughts on film forever.  Him running down the road lined with trees to his woman.... SNAP!

Yeah, familiar with Owl Creek. I wouldn't say that sequence was a ripoff as much as it was an homage. I don't think they intended the viewer to think this was really happening given the dreamlike sheen it all had - I mean they showed his face restored to its original state. Either way, beautifully executed. A tragic ending for a tragic character.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2013, 02:08:16 PM »

Yeah, I thought that was beautiful. When they showed him on the train and then on the tracks, I had hope he'd made it out alive. The cut back to his face without the mask was just crushing.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2013, 01:34:09 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 25, 2013, 02:08:16 PM

Yeah, I thought that was beautiful. When they showed him on the train and then on the tracks, I had hope he'd made it out alive. The cut back to his face without the mask was just crushing.

Glad you guys liked the part where they killed off the last remaining interesting character on the show. It's good pulp but there's very little reason to be excited about any further episodes. I guess we're stuck rooting for Van Alden now.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 26, 2013, 01:34:09 PM

Glad you guys liked the part where they killed off the last remaining interesting character on the show. It's good pulp but there's very little reason to be excited about any further episodes. I guess we're stuck rooting for Van Alden now.

...and not a word about the fight between Eli and the Fed?   Was I the only one whose breathing stopped for the duration?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »

I'm not happy they killed off Harrow -- quite the opposite. But, if they were going to kill him off, that was a really great way to do it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "last remaining interesting character." If you can't appreciate how hard Michael Stuhlbarg brings it as Rothstein every time he's on the screen, then I can't help you. Between him, Van Alden, Nucky, Chalky, Capone, Narcisse, and even smaller characters who've been off in the shadows this season like Doyle, Lansky, and Luciano, there's still a plenty for me to look forward to next season.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 26, 2013, 07:01:43 PM

I'm not happy they killed off Harrow -- quite the opposite. But, if they were going to kill him off, that was a really great way to do it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "last remaining interesting character." If you can't appreciate how hard Michael Stuhlbarg brings it as Rothstein every time he's on the screen, then I can't help you. Between him, Van Alden, Nucky, Chalky, Capone, Narcisse, and even smaller characters who've been off in the shadows this season like Doyle, Lansky, and Luciano, there's still a plenty for me to look forward to next season.

Rothestein's character was good until he started chipping and turning into a degenerate loser. I liked him when he was on top but I find his demise puzzling, abrupt and uninteresting.

Van Alden's the balls.

Chalky threw everything away and there's little left for him to do but die.

Capone is a fucking clown. Did they really have to make him a coked up maniac? Wasn't he more interesting when he had some depth and loved his deaf kid and what not?

Narcisse is ok but there's not much to wonder about now. His entire character has been stripped of any real mystery. He's been laid bare, a peddler and a pimp in a jail cell, now calling J. Edgar, "sir." Oh, how humiliating.

Nucky's shacking up with some ugly blond chick and getting out of the game. She's all he's got left. He has no friends, no other relationships anywhere. What's his purpose?

Doyle's just there for comic relief and if he wasn't played so brilliantly by the actor he'd have been offed in season one.

Lansky and Luciano are ok. More of them please.

All in all, I'll keep watching but this show is pretty disappointing. Well shot and well acted. I just think the writing and storylines are flat.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »

That Cuban gentleman needs a sharper knife.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 09, 2014, 06:38:01 PM

That Cuban gentleman needs a sharper knife.

If he used it on Nucky this series would get about 150% more interesting. They've actually developed a backstory on Nucky as a boy to compensate for there being absolutely fuckall for him to do in present-day. Nifty.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »
Pleasantly surprised by both episodes so far.

1880s Nucky > 1930s Nucky

Al Capone is being played brilliantly after all.

The Eli/Mueller tandem is gold, should have happened years ago and could be its own spinoff.

Killing Rothstein between seasons is disappointing and must have to do with actor availability.

So ready for some boobie hatch lesbian shenanigans.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.