News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Your new manager is...  ( 8,554 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Your new manager is...
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »
DPD.  For some reason the two Brewers I immediately think of when I recall that 13-0 start have always been Dale Sveum and Dan Plesac.  Sveum probably because of that homerun.  Plesac because it was reported, during the streak, that the Brewer's closer wore braces.  And Juan Nieves' no-hitter....maybe that wasn't during the streak.  Nevermind.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 17, 2011, 09:58:11 AM
DPD.  For some reason the two Brewers I immediately think of when I recall that 13-0 start have always been Dale Sveum and Dan Plesac.  Sveum probably because of that homerun.  Plesac because it was reported, during the streak, that the Brewer's closer wore braces.  And Juan Nieves' no-hitter....maybe that wasn't during the streak.  Nevermind.

No, I will mind, because Nieves' no-hitter was game 10 of the streak.

Also, if the Brewers could have played .500 ball in the spring, and if Greg Maddux decided to start pitching like Greg Maddux in 1987 (instead of 1988), maybe there'd have been an I-94 World Series that year. No? Well, damn. The Brewers were my second favorite team back then, and I had as much fun watching baseball in 1987 as any other year.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 10:08:14 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 17, 2011, 10:04:23 AM
DPD.  For some reason the two Brewers I immediately think of when I recall that 13-0 start have always been Dale Sveum and Dan Plesac.  Sveum probably because of that homerun.  Plesac because it was reported, during the streak, that the Brewer's closer wore braces.  And Juan Nieves' no-hitter....maybe that wasn't during the streak.  Nevermind.

Also, if the Brewers could have played .500 ball in the spring, and if Greg Maddux decided to start pitching like Greg Maddux in 1987 (instead of 1988), maybe there'd have been an I-94 World Series that year. No? Well, damn. The Brewers were my second favorite team back then, and I had as much fun watching baseball in 1987 as any other year.

Same here, at least about the Brewers in general.  The Brewers were an AL team and if you didn't love Gorman Thomas' fatness and facial hair and Cecil Fielder's big mofo glasses and Ben Olgilve's blackness and weren't sad when they couldn't overcome the Tardinals in the '82 World Series then you're either too young or too retarded to be allowed to live.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
DPD.  For some reason the two Brewers I immediately think of when I recall that 13-0 start have always been Dale Sveum and Dan Plesac.  Sveum probably because of that homerun.  Plesac because it was reported, during the streak, that the Brewer's closer wore braces.  And Juan Nieves' no-hitter....maybe that wasn't during the streak.  Nevermind.

I pitched for my youth league team in the Buttpuddle city championship geighm that year. I had to leave the mound after three innings due to innings restrictions with my team ahead 12-9. We lost 36-33. Yeah, 1987 was the balls.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 17, 2011, 10:08:14 AM

Same here, at least about the Brewers in general.  The Brewers were an AL team and if you didn't love Gorman Thomas' fatness and facial hair and Cecil Fielder's big mofo glasses and Ben Olgilve's blackness and weren't sad when they couldn't overcome the Tardinals in the '82 World Series then you're either too young or too retarded to be allowed to live.

1987 was also fun because you also had the AL East race, where the Brewers faded with a couple weeks left to go in the season, only to have Toronto and Detroit fight it out the final week of the season. It was the first week of the NFL strike, the week they cancelled games, so NBC aired an extra "Game of the Week" and made Vin Scully stay in Detroit one extra night. That was a fun Tigers' team, and of course, while they did their part, the economy in Michigan crashed anyway in no small part to the Twins beating them in the ALCS.  Meanwhile, the Giants should have beaten the Cards in the NLCS, thanks to Jack Clark being incapacitated after overswinging at a Frank DiPino pitch the last week of the regular season. Jeff(ery) Leonard had an awesome series, but Roger Craig started Atlee Hammaker in Game 7.

At any rate, watching the Twins beat the holy hell out of the Cardinals in the Metrodome was a joy I'll never stop relishing.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 17, 2011, 10:45:09 AM
Quote from: PANK! on November 17, 2011, 10:08:14 AM

1987 was also fun because you also had the AL East race, where the Brewers faded with a couple weeks left to go in the season, only to have Toronto and Detroit fight it out the final week of the season. It was the first week of the NFL strike, the week they cancelled games, so NBC aired an extra "Game of the Week" and made Vin Scully stay in Detroit one extra night. That was a fun Tigers' team, and of course, while they did their part, the economy in Michigan crashed anyway in no small part to the Twins beating them in the ALCS.  Meanwhile, the Giants should have beaten the Cards in the NLCS, thanks to Jack Clark being incapacitated after overswinging at a Frank DiPino pitch the last week of the regular season. Jeff(ery) Leonard had an awesome series, but Roger Craig started Atlee Hammaker in Game 7.

I seem to recall a pre-Cub Candy Maldonado doing something stupid in that series...

I'm friends with a couple guys who played on a softball team for Leo Burnett around 1996 and they actually flew to Arizona for a tournament and Darrel Evans was there.  Apparently, an aging Darrel Evans had been picked off of third base with fewer than 2 outs, late in a pivotal game during that ALCS in 1987.  Well anyway, after these guys spotted Darrell Evans and called him out and he was all glad to be recognized et.al, this one guy (Oleg, Fork and Peck all know him) said, "Didn't you get picked off of third base in that series 10 years ago?" and apparently Evans' face just droppd and his mood changed.  Others in the group ran into Evans later in the week and went through the same routine, whereupon Evans apparently lost his shit.  The point of the story is...most everyone is an asshole in their 20's.

Quote from: Brownie on November 17, 2011, 10:45:09 AM
At any rate, watching the Twins beat the holy hell out of the Cardinals in the Metrodome was a joy I'll never stop relishing.

This fluky win--however hilarious that it tormented St. Louis--did come with one hard-to-swallow caveat--that Andy MacPhail was able to leverage it into an 11 year malaise at Clark and Addison.

*Yes.  I'm not only linking to my own old work, but to GROTA.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »
What is the fascination that the Cubs have for managers who have no hair on their heads?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
RV mentioned on Twitter that Dale Sveum's similarity scores as a player put him on par with Don Zimmer and Jim Lefebvre. Sveum broke into the league with Tom Trebelhorn. What does this tell you? The Cubs should have hired Jim Essian.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 17, 2011, 12:47:58 PM
RV mentioned on Twitter that Dale Sveum's similarity scores as a player put him on par with Don Zimmer and Jim Lefebvre. Sveum broke into the league with Tom Trebelhorn. What does this tell you? The Cubs should have hired Jim Essian.

Absolutely. Essian has the higher career batting average.

Zimmer - .235
Sveum - .236
Essian - .244
Lefebvre - .251   
Baker - .278
Piniella - .291

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:10 PM »
Does it really matter who are manager is? We aren't going to be a winning team for years at best.
I'm sure one of the questions was, "you're ok with getting fired for a real manager when the team is good again right"?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »
I'm happy with the hire. I don't care if he's boring or if he didn't get the Brewers job. He seems like a pretty smart dude and players seem to love him. Good things.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
Quote from: BH on November 17, 2011, 01:18:10 PM
Does it really matter who are manager is? We aren't going to be a winning team for years at best.
I'm sure one of the questions was, "you're ok with getting fired for a real manager when the team is good again right"?

I have no idea anymore when you're being serious, sarcastic or just quoting an entirely different person.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 17, 2011, 02:36:53 PM
Quote from: BH on November 17, 2011, 01:18:10 PM

I have no idea anymore when you're being serious, sarcastic or just quoting an entirely different person.

That sounds like a pretty spot on Chuck, to me.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 17, 2011, 01:38:04 PM
I'm happy with the hire. I don't care if he's boring or if he didn't get the Brewers job. He seems like a pretty smart dude and players seem to love him. Good things.

Brewers permanent managerial hires since George Bamberger retired in 1986:

Tom Trebelhorn
Phil Garner
Davey Lopes
Ned Yost
Ken Macha
Ron Roenicke

I don't know if the Brewers have a knack for identifying great managers.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »
The Brewers haven't won a playoff game since 1982 without Dale in the dugout.  (Same can be said for Craig Counsell, so never mind.)