News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 364,353 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2310 on: April 24, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 24, 2015, 03:46:46 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 24, 2015, 02:50:44 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 24, 2015, 02:49:08 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 24, 2015, 02:41:58 PM
Moving on from Almora, does anyone know if Frank Batista (RHP) has actual stuff or might be in any way legit, maybe even just as a future reliever? 25 years old, 2.93 ERA in 241 appearances (21 starts), so far this year has a 0.84 ERA and 0.66 WHIP, .132 BAA, and an 8-2 K:BB in 10.2 innings?

Those all look good, just haven't heard anything about him ever it seems, so does he not have the stuff or what?

I don't think there's much here. Converted closer.

Despite the fact that he does indeed write on a Hueyboard, Arguello is generally the best one for prospect info.
Last couple on Batista:

Quote from: 4/21/15
Frank Batista continues our run on good organizational players.  Batista has mostly been a closer in recent years but when the Smokies needed a starter, he stepped up.  He had his second solid start with 4.2 scoreless innings, walking 2 and striking out 5.  He has a 0.84 ERA on the year.

Quote from: 4/14/15
Since we've started this blog, Frank Batista has been a reliever and a pretty good one at the minor league level.  Like Negrin he is more of an organizational guy than a bona fide prospect, but that doesn't mean he can't pitch.  Batista works in the low to mid 90s with a solid slider and change.  Today he got the start and was brilliant, allowing just 3 hits and one run over 6 innings,  He did not walk a batter and struck out 3.

Well if he's not a high enough prospect to give a shit about screwing him up I say call him and shoot Schlitter into the sun right fucking now. What've we got to lose?

We're all just biding our time until James Russell comes back up and we can commence major dong chugging. 

Actually kinda wondering why they haven't called up Russell. 4.1 scoreless so far at Iowa, 5 Ks, no walks, actual track record of being a successful major league reliever.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2311 on: April 24, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 24, 2015, 04:05:56 PM
Moving on from Almora, does anyone know if Frank Batista (RHP) has actual stuff or might be in any way legit, maybe even just as a future reliever? 25 years old, 2.93 ERA in 241 appearances (21 starts), so far this year has a 0.84 ERA and 0.66 WHIP, .132 BAA, and an 8-2 K:BB in 10.2 innings?

Those all look good, just haven't heard anything about him ever it seems, so does he not have the stuff or what?

Despite the fact that he does indeed write on a Hueyboard, Arguello is generally the best one for prospect info.
Last couple on Batista:

Frank Batista continues our run on good organizational players.  Batista has mostly been a closer in recent years but when the Smokies needed a starter, he stepped up.  He had his second solid start with 4.2 scoreless innings, walking 2 and striking out 5.  He has a 0.84 ERA on the year.

Since we've started this blog, Frank Batista has been a reliever and a pretty good one at the minor league level.  Like Negrin he is more of an organizational guy than a bona fide prospect, but that doesn't mean he can't pitch.  Batista works in the low to mid 90s with a solid slider and change.  Today he got the start and was brilliant, allowing just 3 hits and one run over 6 innings,  He did not walk a batter and struck out 3.

Well if he's not a high enough prospect to give a shit about screwing him up I say call him and shoot Schlitter into the sun right fucking now. What've we got to lose?

We're all just biding our time until James Russell comes back up and we can commence major dong chugging. 

Actually kinda wondering why they haven't called up Russell. 4.1 scoreless so far at Iowa, 5 Ks, no walks, actual track record of being a successful major league reliever.

Probably because Jepstink are decent human beings who want to give Schlitter a fair shake at pursuing his lifelong dream instead of shit all over him for a couple of bad weeks.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2312 on: April 24, 2015, 08:04:34 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 24, 2015, 07:55:52 PM
Probably because Jepstink are decent human beings who want to give Schlitter a fair shake at pursuing his lifelong dream instead of shit all over him for a couple of bad weeks.

You've perfectly walked that line where I can't tell how serious you are right now.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2313 on: April 24, 2015, 08:37:40 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 24, 2015, 08:04:34 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on April 24, 2015, 07:55:52 PM

You've perfectly walked that line where I can't tell how serious you are right now.

I spy a kernel of truth in there. Although I did have some black bean salsa last night, so it could very well be corn.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2314 on: April 25, 2015, 07:45:24 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 24, 2015, 04:05:56 PM

Last couple on Batista:

Still kinda wondering why the Braves let him go. I mean, they KEPT Jim Johnson.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2315 on: April 27, 2015, 03:11:27 PM »
Cubs minor-league reliever CJ Edwards should now be known as Cubs minor-league reliever Carl Edwards, Jr., his legal name.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2316 on: April 27, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2318 on: April 27, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2319 on: April 27, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »

Last couple on Batista:

Batista started yesterday and went 7 innings, 1 ER, 8 Ks for Tennesse, and the run actually raised his ERA to 1.02 in 17.2 innings. His WHIP is 0.679. For a non-prospect converted closer those numbers seem really damn good. Wonder if he can keep it up and surprise people.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2320 on: April 28, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »
https://www.getmoresports.com/photo-gallery-coveted-cubs-prospect-kyle-schwarber-gets-hit-in-head-with-bat-returns-to-hit-home-run/

Last night, Schwarbs was bonked in the head by a backswing but in the next half inning came back to do hit his third dong of the season. Look at this majestic specimen:

IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2321 on: April 28, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 28, 2015, 08:42:07 AM
https://www.getmoresports.com/photo-gallery-coveted-cubs-prospect-kyle-schwarber-gets-hit-in-head-with-bat-returns-to-hit-home-run/

Last night, Schwarbs was bonked in the head by a backswing but in the next half inning came back to do hit his third dong of the season. Look at this majestic specimen:

It was not his own backswing but someone else's while he was at catcher, if you're thinking what I was thinking.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2322 on: April 28, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 28, 2015, 11:03:27 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 28, 2015, 08:42:07 AM

It was not his own backswing but someone else's while he was at catcher, if you're thinking what I was thinking.

Update on Vogelbach and Schwarber lines:

Vogelbach: .414/.521/.690/1.211 with 3 homers, 13 walks, 6 strikeouts

Schwarber: .370/.483/.652/1.135 with 3 homers, 11 walks, 13 K.

Dan Vogelbach is slugging higher than Almora's OPS (.677 despite a .297 BA).

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2323 on: April 28, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »
So as not to keep filling up the page with a giant photo...

when do either one of these guys get promoted? They've gotta be days away at this point.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2324 on: April 28, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 28, 2015, 12:44:46 PM
So as not to keep filling up the page with a giant photo...

when do either one of these guys get promoted? They've gotta be days away at this point.

We said the same thing about Bryant last year and he didn't get promoted till mid-season. I think Theo has a set number of PAs he'd like each guy to get at each level most of the time, with the rare exception of Addison being fast-tracked.