News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,848 )

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2010, 12:23:59 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on January 25, 2010, 11:35:14 AM
THIS

I love how the basic premise of Chapman's article is that American citizens are rational and will respond to unrestrained spending by corporations rationally, when in reality, Americans are dumb mouthbreathers who will believe whatever the cute guy with the British accent says on the teevee.

My simple opinion, money =/= speech.  Simple as that.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
DPD, this is not to say that all the DOOM is justified over CU.  If Congress responds by making CEO's or other high-level executives "own" their ads by using the "I'm Steve Jobs and I approve this message" language from McCain-Feingold, I don't think companies will go nuts for fear of alienating their customers.

Also, corporations previously funneled money to vague and amorphous PACs, so having a company do its dirty work for itself might be a bit better.  Sunlight is still the best disinfectant.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 25, 2010, 12:28:26 PM
DPD, this is not to say that all the DOOM is justified over CU.  If Congress responds by making CEO's or other high-level executives "own" their ads by using the "I'm Steve Jobs and I approve this message" language from McCain-Feingold, I don't think companies will go nuts for fear of alienating their customers.

Also, corporations previously funneled money to vague and amorphous PACs, so having a company do its dirty work for itself might be a bit better.  Sunlight is still the best disinfectant.

I was just preparing a response to the effect of "they don't want to antagonize customers."  You're absolutely right that sunlight is the best disinfectant.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on January 25, 2010, 12:34:32 PM

I was just preparing a response to the effect of "they don't want to antagonize customers."  You're absolutely right that sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I've been reading about some of the Congressional response to this decision.  Since it is a constitutional interpretation, rather than a statutory construction, legislation is going to be pretty weak compared to the force of "simply" amending the constitution.  However, I've read something to the effect of altering shareholder power, or giving shareholders more authority over corporate spending.  I'll defer to morph for his thoughts on this, but I thought that corporate governance in the US was pretty ineffective to begin with.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 25, 2010, 12:43:27 PM

I've been reading about some of the Congressional response to this decision.  Since it is a constitutional interpretation, rather than a statutory construction, legislation is going to be pretty weak compared to the force of "simply" amending the constitution.  However, I've read something to the effect of altering shareholder power, or giving shareholders more authority over corporate spending.  I'll defer to morph for his thoughts on this, but I thought that corporate governance in the US was pretty ineffective to begin with.

Corporate governance...  as it is now, in general terms, the shareholders elect the board of directors, who then hire the CEOs and other top-level execs and so on.  The only power shareholders really have is in who they elect to the board.  Now, institutional investor shareholders tend to be much more engaged in the process, but that's only relative to individual investors, who generally tend to vote "yes" or "present" on their proxy ballots.  I also don't know how the government could come in and change the rules, though, from a legal standpoint.  You'd be talking about rewriting corporate bylaws on a massive scale.  Stuff I've seen to date all is worded "corporate bylaws would be allowed to require [shareholder director nominees, proxy election cost reimbursement, etc.]" but then the corporations would still have to actually re-write the bylaws to include these provisions. 

I'm also not sure, from a practical standpoint, how shareholders could have a meaningful impact on corporate spending; normally if your company is spending its cash on stuff you don't think it should be, you would just sell the shares and buy those of a competitor who is more aligned with your interests.  "Socially Responsible Investing" is somewhat related to this concept - they won't hold shares of a company that engages in certain business practices (different depending on the focus of the fund).  See http://www.socialinvest.org/ .  Check out the "screening & advocacy" page - there are funds that only invest in companies which are deemed to have a positive impact on "Board Issues" or "Executive Pay" as examples.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on January 25, 2010, 01:24:00 PM

Corporate governance...  as it is now, in general terms, the shareholders elect the board of directors, who then hire the CEOs and other top-level execs and so on.  The only power shareholders really have is in who they elect to the board.  Now, institutional investor shareholders tend to be much more engaged in the process, but that's only relative to individual investors, who generally tend to vote "yes" or "present" on their proxy ballots.  I also don't know how the government could come in and change the rules, though, from a legal standpoint.  You'd be talking about rewriting corporate bylaws on a massive scale.  Stuff I've seen to date all is worded "corporate bylaws would be allowed to require [shareholder director nominees, proxy election cost reimbursement, etc.]" but then the corporations would still have to actually re-write the bylaws to include these provisions. 

I'm also not sure, from a practical standpoint, how shareholders could have a meaningful impact on corporate spending; normally if your company is spending its cash on stuff you don't think it should be, you would just sell the shares and buy those of a competitor who is more aligned with your interests.  "Socially Responsible Investing" is somewhat related to this concept - they won't hold shares of a company that engages in certain business practices (different depending on the focus of the fund).  See http://www.socialinvest.org/ .  Check out the "screening & advocacy" page - there are funds that only invest in companies which are deemed to have a positive impact on "Board Issues" or "Executive Pay" as examples.

Not to mention, proxy ballots are breathtaking examples of double-and-triplespeak.

But, yeah, this is an area the Gubment needs to stay the fuck out of. Divestment is the most profound "no" vote one can have.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »

Not according to Clarence Thomas.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 25, 2010, 01:55:51 PM

Because he's black?  You racist.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »
Quote from: JD on January 25, 2010, 02:07:59 PM

No.  Because he drinks Coca Cola with pubic hair in it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
At least we don't have to worry about that damned health care bill anymore.

JD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 25, 2010, 02:12:59 PM

Oh.  Well, pubic hairs are black, too.  You're still racist.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
Quote from: JD on January 25, 2010, 03:40:41 PM

They are?

JD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 25, 2010, 04:08:43 PM

They are?

Yes.  All of 'em.  If you've seen some of a different color, then you're not really looking at pubic hairs.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on January 24, 2010, 02:11:25 PM
South Carolina CLASS...

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/1123844.html

QuoteGREENVILLE - Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer has compared giving people government assistance to "feeding stray animals."

Bauer, who is running for the Republican nomination for governor, made his remarks during a town hall meeting in Fountain Inn that included state lawmakers and about 115 residents.

"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better," Bauer said.

In South Carolina, 58 percent of students participate in the free and reduced-price lunch program.

Bauer later Friday told The Greenville News he wasn't saying people on government assistance "were animals or anything else."

QuoteLater in his speech, Bauer said, "I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina," adding, "You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period.

Correlation = causation!

Free lunches make kids poor, dumb and lazy!

Period.

QuoteAnd, Bauer said, it is time to confront "babies having babies. Somebody's got to talk about. Politicians don't want to talk about it anymore because it's politically incorrect."

The third rail of SC politics: infant pregnancy.

Don't make me fetch my debatin' stick...

Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »
Quote from: JD on January 25, 2010, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 25, 2010, 04:08:43 PM

They are?

Yes.  All of 'em.  If you've seen some of a different color, then you're not really looking at pubic hairs.

Sonofabitch.