News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,849 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #1365 on: May 10, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »
Quote from: Fork on May 10, 2010, 10:24:36 AM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 10, 2010, 10:20:16 AM
Quote from: Fork on May 10, 2010, 08:56:27 AM
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

I figured MikeC would show up with all kinds of talking points & pyrotechnics.

My basic misgiving (which has no value whatsoever) is that judges make decisions that carry ramifications. Kagan has absolutely no experience at this.

It would be tantamount to any of us, who can sit here and pontificate about baseball stats and strategy without any real experience, being appointed manager of the Cubs for life.

Except for the fact that there are 9 judges and only one manager.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1366 on: May 10, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 10, 2010, 10:28:05 AM
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

My basic misgiving (which has no value whatsoever) is that judges make decisions that carry ramifications. Kagan has absolutely no experience at this.

It would be tantamount to any of us, who can sit here and pontificate about baseball stats and strategy without any real experience, being appointed manager of the Cubs for life.

Except for the fact that there are 9 judges and only one manager.

Intrepid Reader: P.K. Wrigley

Exactly! That's why we should have a set of managers running the team.

Seriously, not a bad pick. I understand Fork's apprehension, but Harriet Myers she is not.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1367 on: May 10, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

Nah.  It's like making Jim Hendry or Andy MacPhail manage.  Sure, they've never been in the dugout, but they've been in the game for 25 years.

She clerked for Marshall, I believe.  She's worked in the institution.

I don't know if it's a good pick or not.  But her not being a judge isn't exactly a disqualification in my book.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1368 on: May 10, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 10, 2010, 10:35:28 AM

Nah.  It's like making Jim Hendry or Andy MacPhail manage.  Sure, they've never been in the dugout, but they've been in the game for 25 years.

I don't know if it's a good pick or not.  But her not being a judge isn't exactly a disqualification in my book.

Shit, being a judge in Cook County should be an automatic disqualification.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1369 on: May 10, 2010, 10:51:42 AM »
Quote from: CT III on May 10, 2010, 10:36:33 AM

Shit, being a judge in Cook County should be an automatic disqualification.

We get it, you live in DuPage.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1370 on: May 10, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »

Rehnquist also had zero judicial experience when Nixon nominated him to the Court in '72.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1371 on: May 10, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

Over a third of the 111 Supreme Court justices in American history came to the job without prior experience as judges.

Notably: Hugo Black (lawyer and Senator), Felix Frankfurter (lawyer and one of the founders of the ACLU), Thurgood Marshall (lawyer and Chief Counsel for the NAACP), Louis Brandeis (lawyer and social activist), William Rehnquist (lawyer and US Assistant Attorney General), Earl Warren (California Attorney General, Governor of California and sleazy male stripper).
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1372 on: May 10, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 10, 2010, 11:37:24 AM
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

Over a third of the 111 Supreme Court justices in American history came to the job without prior experience as judges.

Notably: Hugo Black (lawyer and Senator), Felix Frankfurter (lawyer and one of the founders of the ACLU), Thurgood Marshall (lawyer and Chief Counsel for the NAACP), Louis Brandeis (lawyer and social activist), William Rehnquist (lawyer and US Assistant Attorney General), Earl Warren (California Attorney General, Governor of California and sleazy male stripper).

Yeah, IIRC what knocked out Harriet Miers and her makeup gun that was set to "whore" wasn't her lack of bench experience so much as she was just a lightweight who got Bush off on a DUI or some shit.  I believe it was the first, last and only time that the Cheney junta allowed Georgie to make decisions on his own.  Never.  Again.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1373 on: May 10, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

That's what Huey calls Felix Pie, because he was polishing off a hot dog when Felix got his first big league hit.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1374 on: May 10, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »
Quote from: MAD on May 10, 2010, 11:43:20 AM
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

Yeah, IIRC what knocked out Harriet Miers and her makeup gun that was set to "whore" wasn't her lack of bench experience so much as she was just a lightweight who got Bush off on a DUI or some shit.  I believe it was the first, last and only time that the Cheney junta allowed Georgie to make decisions on his own.  Never.  Again.

I think it had a lot to do with the "she didn't go to Harvard or Yale" attitude that permeates most of the legal community.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1375 on: May 10, 2010, 11:55:04 AM »
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

Okay, fine, I'll have to step up.

"Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!"
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1376 on: May 10, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
This fucking team sucks.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1377 on: May 10, 2010, 11:56:06 AM »
Quote from: Bort on May 10, 2010, 11:55:04 AM
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

Okay, fine, I'll have to step up.

"Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!"

NOW who's being naïve?
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1378 on: May 10, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 10, 2010, 11:51:10 AM
Not a fan of the pick.

Say no more.

That's what Huey calls Felix Pie, because he was polishing off a hot dog when Felix got his first big league hit.

That explains Doug "1/4 Bottle of Cinnamon Schnapps and a Handful of Pretzels" Dascenzo.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1379 on: May 10, 2010, 12:44:37 PM »
THI and THA

QuoteYou don't waste a pick on a blank-slate centrist when your position in the Senate is about to get dramatically weaker.

QuoteIn short, Kagan's career represents rampant elitism–which is to say cronyism Ivy League-style–in its worst form. No one doubts she is smart, ambitious, hard-working, and well-liked by lots of influential people. In fact she's so well-liked she's gotten a series of jobs for which she was largely unqualified. She obtained tenure at two of America's top universities, and became a dean at one of them, without producing anything resembling the kind of academic record normally required for such positions.

QuoteNow someone who has never been a judge, and, far more important, has taken almost no public positions on any issue relevant to being a judge, is on the verge of being put on the Supreme Court.