News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,830 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #1455 on: May 20, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
Let's say a black family's car breaks down in a small town with only one motel. In the libertarian paradise, the owner of this motel (let's just call him Tdubbs' Uncle) has the right to refuse to provide lodging to this family. Is it acceptable that the family should have to sleep in their car so Tdubbs' Uncle's can maintain his absolute property rights?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1456 on: May 20, 2010, 03:08:18 PM »
Quote from: R-V on May 20, 2010, 02:56:01 PM
Let's say a black family's car breaks down in a small town with only one motel. In the libertarian paradise, the owner of this motel (let's just call him Tdubbs' Uncle) has the right to refuse to provide lodging to this family. Is it acceptable that the family should have to sleep in their car so Tdubbs' Uncle's can maintain his absolute property rights?

Yes.  If there was no hotel, but a boarding house in a private residence, should the owner be forced to take someone in who is stranded?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1457 on: May 20, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 20, 2010, 01:45:55 PM

So then was the Government overstepping its authority by violating the 10th Amendment in emancipating slaves?

The power to emancipate the slaves was delegated to the United States by the Constitution via the 13th Amendment.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1458 on: May 20, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 20, 2010, 03:09:35 PM

So then was the Government overstepping its authority by violating the 10th Amendment in emancipating slaves?

The power to emancipate the slaves was delegated to the United States by the Constitution via the 13th Amendment.

I am certain that the Libertarians of the 19th century argued, just as Mr. Paul argues today, that they abhor slavery, but that the Government should not step in to prevent private ownership of human beings.   
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1459 on: May 20, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1460 on: May 20, 2010, 03:21:20 PM »

13 wasn't ratified until after Lincoln was dead. He issued the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1461 on: May 20, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 20, 2010, 03:21:20 PM

13 wasn't ratified until after Lincoln was dead. He issued the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863.

The Emancipation Proclamation only applied to slaves in those states that had left the union, and since they considered themselves to be a separate country, it didn't really apply to anyone. 

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1462 on: May 20, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
Quote from: fiveouts on May 20, 2010, 03:30:37 PM

The Emancipation Proclamation only applied to slaves in those states that had left the union, and since they considered themselves to be a separate country, it didn't really apply to anyone. 

Uh, yes it did.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1463 on: May 20, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 20, 2010, 03:08:18 PM
Quote from: R-V on May 20, 2010, 02:56:01 PM

Yes.  If there was no hotel, but a boarding house in a private residence, should the owner be forced to take someone in who is stranded?

Which, in effect, is an argument that hotels should be like boarding houses, including the elimination of public-safety requirements and the tyranny of having to put locks on doors.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1464 on: May 20, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »

This is a joke, right?  My color blindedness is preventing me from seeing your green font, I think.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1465 on: May 20, 2010, 05:33:46 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 20, 2010, 03:55:09 PM

This is a joke, right?  My color blindedness is preventing me from seeing your green font, I think.

The Emancipation Proclamation only applied to ten states, none of whom Lincoln had jurisdiction over at the time.  None of the Northern slaves were freed by the Proclamation, and only the part of Virginia that remained loyal to the South was named as an applicable area for freedom.  The Proclamation didn't really apply to the South until 1865, when Sherman ran roughshod over their asses.  

"We show our sympathy with slavery by emancipating slaves where we cannot reach them and holding them in bondage where we can set them free."--William Seward, Secretary of State under Lincoln

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1466 on: May 20, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 20, 2010, 01:39:11 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 20, 2010, 01:05:55 PM
Again, the constraints should be placed on government before it's placed on the people.

And, by "people" what we really mean is "business owners."

A business owner is a person. So yeah, we mean business owners can protect their property as much as non-business-owning people can protect theirs.

You're confusing Federalism and Libertarianism. Bruce Bartlett did. You can be a Federalist and a Commie and you can have a broader view of the Constitution and be a libertarian.

If you believe the power of government need to be constrained to protect the rights of the individual, I'm not sure how you can make a case for involuntary servitude.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1467 on: May 20, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 20, 2010, 06:09:37 PM
Again, the constraints should be placed on government before it's placed on the people.

A business owner is a person. So yeah, we mean business owners can protect their property as much as non-business-owning people can protect theirs.

You're confusing Federalism and Libertarianism. Bruce Bartlett did. You can be a Federalist and a Commie and you can have a broader view of the Constitution and be a libertarian.

If you believe the power of government need to be constrained to protect the rights of the individual, I'm not sure how you can make a case for involuntary servitude.

T. J. is right. There is not a single form of Libertarianism across either the left or right end of the spectrum that does not believe that all labor relationships must be entered into voluntarily. Whether you are a Rothbardian Libertarian, an Anarcho-Syndicalist, a Stirnerite, or an Anarcho-Communist, no one can force you to labor for another.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1468 on: May 20, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
Quote from: Bort on May 20, 2010, 06:22:15 PM

T. J. is right. There is not a single form of Libertarianism across either the left or right end of the spectrum that does not believe that all labor relationships must be entered into voluntarily. Whether you are a Rothbardian Libertarian, an Anarcho-Syndicalist, a Stirnerite, or an Anarcho-Communist, no one can force you to labor for another.

This. That, and they believe that people who just wanna have fun should be allowed to do everything within their rights to have that fun, as it's all they really want.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1469 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »

I don't count corporate entities as natural persons, nor is it reasonable to presume that business owners are not lessors. The point, however, was that the discrimination-is-no-problem argument places the rights of the "nation of shopkeepers" in a supervenient position to those of the "people of customers."
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!