News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,848 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #1695 on: June 28, 2010, 12:07:36 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 28, 2010, 11:59:18 AM
DPD, but from a policy standpoint purely, the Chicago gun ban has been anything but effective.  Criminals in the city have still been getting guns and discharging them at people at near record levels. 

The outright ban has accomplished none of its stated goals, except stripping firearms from law-abiding citizens.

So, the way to stop gun violence is to have more guns on the street?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1696 on: June 28, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on June 28, 2010, 11:38:49 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 28, 2010, 11:36:10 AM
Quote from: Oleg on June 28, 2010, 11:28:42 AM
Quote from: flannj on June 28, 2010, 11:15:50 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 28, 2010, 10:09:11 AM
A good decision by the Supremes today.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/united-states-supreme-court-scotus-gun-control-rifle-ban-chicago-police-mayor-richard-daley-nra-second-2nd-amendment.html

Ban still in effect, however, due to the district level retrial.

I'm curious as to how much money the city has spent over the last two years fighting this court battle.
As well as how much they're going to spend going forward creating other impediments to ownership that will inevitably end up being challenged as well.

Real question...

What's the fascination with handguns for lawabiding citizens?

What is your fascination with my Forbidden Closet of Mystery?

I thought I'd find Ozzie Smith in there.

DPD.

Well, that's just a church.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1697 on: June 28, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on June 28, 2010, 11:30:41 AM

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/united-states-supreme-court-scotus-gun-control-rifle-ban-chicago-police-mayor-richard-daley-nra-second-2nd-amendment.html

I'm curious as to how much money the city has spent over the last two years fighting this court battle.
As well as how much they're going to spend going forward creating other impediments to ownership that will inevitably end up being challenged as well.

Real question...

Self-defense?

The power to extinguish a human life at any desired moment?
M'lady.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1698 on: June 28, 2010, 12:08:55 PM »
DPD, but from a policy standpoint purely, the Chicago gun ban has been anything but effective.  Criminals in the city have still been getting guns and discharging them at people at near record levels. 

The outright ban has accomplished none of its stated goals, except stripping firearms from law-abiding citizens.

Don't let your facts and reasoned argument get in the way of the Mayor's ego and his excuse for the cities high gun crime rate.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1699 on: June 28, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »

Real question...

Self-defense?

Yeah, handguns are awesome for that.

And, what scenario would that be?  Do we want a society where we just shoot purse snatchers and muggers?  Is that what you mean?

Or, are we cool with shooting home invaders?

besides, if someone does actually try to break into your house, wouldn't a shotgun be a much better weapon for defense?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1700 on: June 28, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 28, 2010, 12:07:36 PM

So, the way to stop gun violence is to have more guns on the street?

Legally owned guns on a citizens own property is not the same thing as more guns on the street.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1701 on: June 28, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 28, 2010, 12:10:13 PM

Real question...

Self-defense?

And, what scenario would that be?  Do we want a society where we just shoot purse snatchers and muggers?  Is that what you mean?

besides, if someone does actually try to break into your house, wouldn't a shotgun be a much better weapon for defense?

DPD
Yes it would be.
But I didn't realize the ban was in place to help citizens make a better choice for their home defense.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1702 on: June 28, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »

Real question...

Self-defense?

I believe Wheezer once expressed an opinion on this, but it appears to be lost to the Unratto.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1703 on: June 28, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 28, 2010, 12:13:14 PM

Real question...

Self-defense?

DPD
Yes it would be.
But I didn't realize the ban was in place to help citizens make a better choice for their home defense.

Oleg is arguing that shooting people with a handgun = bad. But blowing them into a thousand pieces with a shotgun = good?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1704 on: June 28, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
I'm going to put on some popcorn and enjoy this.

As you were.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1705 on: June 28, 2010, 12:20:41 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 28, 2010, 12:15:26 PM

Real question...

Self-defense?

DPD
Yes it would be.

Oleg is arguing that shooting people with a handgun = bad. But blowing them into a thousand pieces with a shotgun = good?

Oleg doesn't see the effectiveness of handguns because he's such a little target that despite everyone's best efforts, he's never been shot.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1706 on: June 28, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 28, 2010, 12:20:41 PM

Real question...

Self-defense?

DPD
Yes it would be.

Oleg doesn't see the effectiveness of handguns because he's such a little target that despite everyone's best efforts, he's never been shot.

Ok I laughed.
A lot.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1707 on: June 28, 2010, 12:25:34 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 28, 2010, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: Fork on June 28, 2010, 12:20:41 PM

Real question...

Self-defense?

DPD
Yes it would be.

Ok I laughed.
A lot.

He told me the dreamcatcher he wears around his neck and all the patchouli creates a protective shield.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1708 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:43 PM »

Real question...

Self-defense?

DPD
Yes it would be.

Nope.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1709 on: June 28, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »
Quote from: MikeC on June 26, 2010, 12:07:48 PM
I think we have gone over the fact that the Clinton years do a whole lot of fuzzy math to make it look like they had a surplus. I don't know how you can add to the national debt and still run a surplus. But hey you Democrats are good with fuzzy math, saved or created jobs, health care bill, stimulus bill, whole shit load of fuzzy math going on there.

The math on how to fix it from Eric Cantor.  Now, remember, the deficit is over $1 trillion annually.

QuoteSuspend Federal Land Purchases - ($266 million in savings in the first year, $2.66 billion over ten years)

I love his math.  Instead of just saying $266 million per year, he actually does us the favor of multiplying by 10.  Whew.  Thanks for the math savings, too.

QuoteTERMINATE FUNDING FOR UNESCO - ($81 million in savings in the first year, $810 million over ten years)

Same math help.  OK, two ideas and he's knocked 0.0347% of the deficit off.  He only needs to come up with 288,185 more ideas to balance the budget!

QuoteREFORM FANNIE MAE AND FREDDIE MAC - bringing transparency to taxpayer exposure could generate savings of up to an estimated $30 billion.

"Could" save $30 billion and over an unstated time period.

Look.  You want to say we spend too much?  Agreed.  You want to say the Dems spend too much?  Agreed.  You want to say the solution is the GOP?

You're fucking nuts.