News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,799 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #2295 on: August 31, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 31, 2010, 12:08:42 PM
A blog post by a UC Berkeley professor...

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2010/08/24/a-letter-to-my-students/

California, the tax haven? And the "selfish, mean-spirited tax-cutting" all started after Reagan left office? Has Professor O'Hare been sniffing glue?

The fact is that California's public services were not sustainable then and they definitely are not today. Sorry!

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2296 on: August 31, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 31, 2010, 12:27:50 PM

California, the tax haven? And the "selfish, mean-spirited tax-cutting" all started after Reagan left office? Has Professor O'Hare been sniffing glue?

The fact is that people in California (and the rest of the US) want public services but don't want to have to pay for them were not sustainable then and they definitely are not today. Sorry!

Fixed it for you.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2297 on: August 31, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 31, 2010, 02:43:38 PM

The fact is that people in California (and the rest of the US) want public services but don't want to have to pay for them were not sustainable then and they definitely are not today. Sorry!

Fixed it for you.

Thus, they don't really want said services. And, again, say this out loud without laughing uproariously:

California: The nation's tax haven since 1978.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2298 on: August 31, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 31, 2010, 03:05:40 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 31, 2010, 02:43:38 PM

Fixed it for you.

Thus, they don't really want said services. And, again, say this out loud without laughing uproariously:

California: The nation's tax haven since 1978.

Meh.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2299 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »
Thus, they don't really want said services.

No, they really do.  Everywhere.  In every state, county, city, town, village and hamlet.

Go watch a Bill Brady commercial.  He's running the Mayor Goldie Wilson campaign:

Elect Bill Brady.  Progress is his middle name. Bill Brady's progress platform means more jobs, better education, bigger civic improvements, and lower taxes.

Right.  Cover a billion dollar budget deficit without raising taxes and without cutting popular services.

Never.

Gonna.

Happen.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2300 on: August 31, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 31, 2010, 03:35:21 PM

No, they really do.  Everywhere.  In every state, county, city, town, village and hamlet.

Go watch a Bill Brady commercial.  He's running the Mayor Goldie Wilson campaign:

Elect Bill Brady.  Progress is his middle name. Bill Brady's progress platform means more jobs, better education, bigger civic improvements, and lower taxes.

Right.  Cover a billion dollar budget deficit without raising taxes and without cutting popular services.

Never.

Gonna.

Happen.

The measure of how much someone wants something is by how much he or she is willing to pay. And besides what one is willing to pay, there's also the matter of what one can afford.

As for Bill Brady, what "civic improvements" is he calling for? He's calling for lower taxes to help spur the creation of more jobs. Do you think the industrial parks opening in Pleasant Prairie are stealing jobs from Iowa?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2301 on: August 31, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 31, 2010, 03:57:30 PM

Never.

Gonna.

Happen.

The measure of how much someone wants something is by how much he or she is willing to pay. And besides what one is willing to pay, there's also the matter of what one can afford.

As for Bill Brady, what "civic improvements" is he calling for? He's calling for lower taxes to help spur the creation of more jobs. Do you think the industrial parks opening in Pleasant Prairie are stealing jobs from Iowa?

In a perfect world, maybe.  But once people realize that the government has a credit card and can give them everything they want for "free," they stop caring.

Until the bill comes due.  Citizens in this country want, want, want, but don't want to pay.  Simple as that.

Politicians learned a long time ago that they can buy votes with the people's own money.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2302 on: August 31, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 31, 2010, 04:14:16 PM

Never.

Gonna.

Happen.

In a perfect world, maybe.  But once people realize that the government has a credit card and can give them everything they want for "free," they stop caring.

Until the bill comes due.  Citizens in this country want, want, want, but don't want to pay.  Simple as that.

Politicians learned a long time ago that they can buy votes with the people's own money.

I have no quibble with any of that and it's depressing. There are too many people who don't just want something for nothing, but they think it's their birthright (and that's not a left-right divide).

However, the professor's suggestion that California has become a virtual Monaco-on-the-Pacific starting during the Jerry Brown Administration is more than a little funny to me.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2303 on: August 31, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »

I was just quoting Mayor Wilson's campaign verbatim.  I have no idea what Brady's version of "Build Illinois" is, but he's got to have one or he'll have no support from the Combine.

the professor's suggestion that California has become a virtual Monaco-on-the-Pacific starting during the Jerry Brown Administration is more than a little funny to me.

It's gold, Jerry!  GOLD!  My sis moved to CA a few years ago to become a public teacher right as Davis was being recalled.  Dumbest career move ever.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2304 on: August 31, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 31, 2010, 04:28:57 PM

It's gold, Jerry!  GOLD!  My sis moved to CA a few years ago to become a public teacher right as Davis was being recalled.  Dumbest career move ever.

Every year since 1979 I have spent the month of April handling mass reduction in force cases for teacher unions.  In San Francisco this year the school district sent out 580 notices.  The union finally went to the bargaining table and agreed to concessions (including a shorter school year and furloughs during the year) in order to bring back the majority of those laid off.  Meg Whitman has a plan for California's job issues.  It consists of tax cuts to stimulate job creation.  Tha's a great plan, because the teachers who get laid off as a result of those tax cuts are going to have to find work.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2305 on: September 02, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 31, 2010, 04:47:31 PM

Every year since 1979 I have spent the month of April handling mass reduction in force cases for teacher unions.  In San Francisco this year the school district sent out 580 notices.  The union finally went to the bargaining table and agreed to concessions (including a shorter school year and furloughs during the year) in order to bring back the majority of those laid off.  Meg Whitman has a plan for California's job issues.  It consists of tax cuts to stimulate job creation.  Tha's a great plan, because the teachers who get laid off as a result of those tax cuts are going to have to find work.

All hail the great California property tax freeze of 1978! If I remember correctly, Warren Buffett once stated that he pays higher property taxes on his modest Omaha residence than on his large house in California.

In other news:

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-09-01-how-bad-are-the-next-few-years-going-to-suck/

Pretty bad.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2306 on: September 02, 2010, 08:59:28 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 02, 2010, 08:50:37 AM

All hail the great California property tax freeze of 1978! If I remember correctly, Warren Buffett once stated that he pays higher property taxes on his modest Omaha residence than on his large house in California.

In other news:

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-09-01-how-bad-are-the-next-few-years-going-to-suck/

Pretty bad.

QuoteStart with the fact that Democrats are going to get shellacked in the midterms.

Sounds pretty good to me.

QuoteIt's possible that Republicans could come out of 2012 with the presidency, the House, and the Senate back in their hands...

Sounds even better.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2307 on: September 02, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on September 02, 2010, 08:59:28 AM

In other news:

Pretty bad.

QuoteStart with the fact that Democrats are going to get shellacked in the midterms.

QuoteIt's possible that Republicans could come out of 2012 with the presidency, the House, and the Senate back in their hands...

Sounds even better.

And then what?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2308 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:12 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 02, 2010, 09:03:48 AM

In other news:

Pretty bad.

Sounds even better.

And then what?

Profit.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2309 on: September 02, 2010, 09:07:11 AM »

Sounds even better.
[/quote]

'Cause that's worked so well the last few times they had control.

Cheering for one PARTY (not a specific individual) to win is like cheering for a hurricane because you hate earthquakes.