News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,881 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #2535 on: October 04, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »
So as part of your platform, firefighters are indentured servants of the state? Very interesting.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2536 on: October 04, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 04, 2010, 12:52:52 PM
So as part of your platform, firefighters are indentured servants of the state? Very interesting.

I think taxes should cover these kind of things, not some sort of fee per user model.

Also, I think that this notwithstanding, standing there while a person's home burns is a douche move.  Decency prevails above all.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2537 on: October 04, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 04, 2010, 12:52:52 PM

And no, my argument is that they put out the fire and squabble over paying for it later.

My nominal-Catholicism controls here.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2538 on: October 04, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 04, 2010, 12:57:59 PM
I think taxes should cover these kind of things, not some sort of fee per user model.

Um... Isn't the point that the guy chose to live in an area where TAXES SPECIFICALLY DON'T COVER THIS SPECIFIC TYPE OF THING?!!!??  Moreover, he had a coluntay tax of $75 that HE CHOSE NOT TO PAY.  The guy tried to get something for free and lost.

Quote"I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong," said Gene Cranick.

Fucking freeloader.  Deserved what he got.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2539 on: October 04, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 04, 2010, 01:07:12 PM

Um... Isn't the point that the guy chose to live in an area where TAXES SPECIFICALLY DON'T COVER THIS SPECIFIC TYPE OF THING?!!!??  Moreover, he had a coluntay tax of $75 that HE CHOSE NOT TO PAY.  The guy tried to get something for free and lost.

Quote"I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong," said Gene Cranick.

So, he went Galt and lost?

That I can get behind.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2540 on: October 04, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 04, 2010, 01:09:15 PM

That I can get behind.

First, I apologize for being so flippant. I haven't been in the best mood today. I blame Frank Omiyale.

Second, I understand your point that if you see someone in distress, your reaction should be to help him. I can get behind that, but...

... the fire dept is dealing with limited resources. A field fire started the house fire, and they were there to control the field fire and prevent subscribers' houses from burning.

The guy gambled and lost.

That all said, I don't know why the FD wouldn't take advantage of the opportunity to make extra money by charging a premium for the "Oh shit, my house is on fire and I didn't think I'd need fire protection" crowd.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2541 on: October 04, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 04, 2010, 01:29:34 PM

That I can get behind.

First, I apologize for being so flippant. I haven't been in the best mood today. I blame Frank Omiyale.

Second, I understand your point that if you see someone in distress, your reaction should be to help him. I can get behind that, but...

... the fire dept is dealing with limited resources. A field fire started the house fire, and they were there to control the field fire and prevent subscribers' houses from burning.

That all said, I don't know why the FD wouldn't take advantage of the opportunity to make extra money by charging a premium for the "Oh shit, my house is on fire and I didn't think I'd need fire protection" crowd.

No problem.

I completely agree that this guy needs to pay.  I'm also pretty confident that he assumed that he could have his cake and eat it too.

However, I feel that this is something that can be addressed after the fire is put out.  Hell, the FD could add a large, lateness penalty on top of his fee.

If anything, this serves to remind him - and others - that government services cost money and that these things need to be paid for.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2542 on: October 04, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 04, 2010, 01:41:45 PM
I completely agree that this guy needs to pay.  I'm also pretty confident that he assumed that he could have his cake and eat it too.

Especially because he specifically said so.
However, I feel that this is something that can be addressed after the fire is put out.  Hell, the FD could add a large, lateness penalty on top of his fee.

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 04, 2010, 01:41:45 PM
If anything, this serves to remind him - and others - that government services cost money and that these things need to be paid for.

That's something we've forgotten because half the politicians keep telling us we're overtaxed.  We're not.  We're over serviced.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2543 on: October 04, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
DPD:

So, polls show Murkowski can still win in Alaska.  Crist is running 3rd party in Florida.  Lieberman won re-election as an indy a few years back.  Third party candidates may act as spoilers in both the senate and gubernatorial races here in Illinois.

If third parties can so easily get on the ballot and either spoil or even win, why again are we taxpayers paying for primaries?  They seem to be a waste of my money.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2544 on: October 04, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 04, 2010, 01:59:48 PM
DPD:

So, polls show Murkowski can still win in Alaska.  Crist is running 3rd party in Florida.  Lieberman won re-election as an indy a few years back.  Third party candidates may act as spoilers in both the senate and gubernatorial races here in Illinois.

If third parties can so easily get on the ballot and either spoil or even win, why again are we taxpayers paying for primaries?  They seem to be a waste of my money.

I'd be interested in the wording of those polls in Alaska.  Simply asking a voter if they will vote for Mukowski is too simple, as her name will not be on the ballot.  Crist is faltering in Florida and splitting the vote.  There are probably several Democrats who want Meeks to drop out.

And here, in the land of Lincoln, no third party candidate will be viable.  Especially when the system serves to exclude the third-party candidate from any sort of debate.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2545 on: October 04, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 04, 2010, 02:14:08 PM
DPD:

I'd be interested in the wording of those polls in Alaska.  Simply asking a voter if they will vote for Mukowski is too simple, as her name will not be on the ballot.  Crist is faltering in Florida and splitting the vote.  There are probably several Democrats who want Meeks to drop out.

And here, in the land of Lincoln, no third party candidate will be viable.  Especially when the system serves to exclude the third-party candidate from any sort of debate.

All I'm asking is: If you can get on the ballot without a primary, and in some cases even win, do we relly need taxpayer funded primaries?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2546 on: October 04, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 04, 2010, 02:17:11 PM
DPD:

All I'm asking is: If you can get on the ballot without a primary, and in some cases even win, do we relly need taxpayer funded primaries?

No.  It should be a free-for-all.

And we should get rid of the first-past-the-post system, too.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2547 on: October 04, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2548 on: October 04, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 04, 2010, 01:29:34 PM

That I can get behind.

The thing that strikes me as odd is that even though this guy didn't pay the money, his house fire does still pose a threat to other fire services subscribers.  Yeah, they can stand by to exstinguish if it starts to spread, but a strong wind could easily spread the house fire more quickly than the Fire Department could react (not to mention if anything hazardous or explosive is in the home as it burns).  Anyway, I don't feel bad for the guy, but still think they should have put out the fire and fined the living shit out of him.

However, I still can't believe the dumbass didn't simply pay the $75.00.  He's really fucked now, because it seems extremely likely that by not electing to pay for fire services, he invalidated his homeowners insurance policy.

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #2549 on: October 04, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
DPD:

I def. do.  Him and Crist are splitting votes right now, which means we get Rubio.  Yay!