News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,817 )

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #3075 on: December 07, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 07, 2010, 08:20:54 AM
I don't want to hear shit about debt or deficits for the next 2 years.

The only time either party gives a shit about the deficit is during election season when they need votes. The deficit doesn't matter after that.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3076 on: December 07, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on December 07, 2010, 09:51:52 AM

The only time either party gives a shit about the deficit is during election season when they need votes. The deficit doesn't matter after that.

Dick Cheney taught me that deficits don't matter anyway.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3077 on: December 07, 2010, 10:20:12 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on December 07, 2010, 09:24:21 AM

Everyone knows that it's the spending that drives deficits, not the income tax rates.  Or, that is, they *should* know that.  The problem is that people, shockingly, respond to incentives and change their behavior when tax rates rise.  To support this assertion, here's a chart using data from the Deficit Commission's work as well as the CBO (I am just using it for the historical data, not the projections).  You'll notice that whatever the tax rates were, the government really hasn't been able to collect more than 21% of GDP in taxes.  In fact, the historical average is more like 17.5% of GDP.  That's whether we had the 90% top marginal tax rates of the 1950s or the 28% top rate of the late 1980s.

So, your comment about the extension materially affecting the deficit is misguided.

I'd argue that the difference between 20% or so (where revenue was at around 1970, 1980, and 2000) and 15% or so (1950 and 2010) seams pretty significant to me. 5% of 15 trillion-ish GDP is $750 billion.

Assuming a federal budget of around $3.5 trillion, that's about a fifth of the budget.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3078 on: December 07, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 07, 2010, 10:20:12 AM

Everyone knows that it's the spending that drives deficits, not the income tax rates.  Or, that is, they *should* know that.  The problem is that people, shockingly, respond to incentives and change their behavior when tax rates rise.  To support this assertion, here's a chart using data from the Deficit Commission's work as well as the CBO (I am just using it for the historical data, not the projections).  You'll notice that whatever the tax rates were, the government really hasn't been able to collect more than 21% of GDP in taxes.  In fact, the historical average is more like 17.5% of GDP.  That's whether we had the 90% top marginal tax rates of the 1950s or the 28% top rate of the late 1980s.

So, your comment about the extension materially affecting the deficit is misguided.

I'd argue that the difference between 20% or so (where revenue was at around 1970, 1980, and 2000) and 15% or so (1950 and 2010) seams pretty significant to me. 5% of 15 trillion-ish GDP is $750 billion.

Assuming a federal budget of around $3.5 trillion, that's about a fifth of the budget.

Those don't correlate very well with tax rates though, which was my point.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3079 on: December 07, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »

You're absolutely right. There's no way hundreds of billions of dollars in added revenue from expiring tax cuts could possibly have any affect on a budget deficit.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3080 on: December 07, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 07, 2010, 10:36:29 AM

You're absolutely right. There's no way hundreds of billions of dollars in added revenue from expiring tax cuts could possibly have any affect on a budget deficit.

You're absolutely right.  No one will do anything differently when faced with higher tax rates.  I have a feeling that despite your quoting my post, you didn't actually read it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3081 on: December 07, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on December 07, 2010, 10:48:18 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 07, 2010, 10:36:29 AM

You're absolutely right.  No one will do anything differently when faced with higher tax rates.  I have a feeling that despite your quoting my post, you didn't actually read it.

I read it. Here's a novel thought...since profits (and not revenues) are taxed, wouldn't a higher bracket INCENTIVIZE hiring in order to avoid moving into a higher bracket?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3082 on: December 07, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on December 07, 2010, 10:28:09 AM

So - if the argument is that individuals adjust their behavior based on tax rates (increase productivity when rates are high, decrease productivity when rates are low) - revenue is basically dependent on general economic conditions - right? So why do we see periods when receipts outpace GDP (late 90s) and GDP outpaces receipts (early 90s)?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3083 on: December 07, 2010, 11:14:42 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 07, 2010, 10:55:05 AM

So - if the argument is that individuals adjust their behavior based on tax rates (increase productivity when rates are high, decrease productivity when rates are low) - revenue is basically dependent on general economic conditions - right? So why do we see periods when receipts outpace GDP (late 90s) and GDP outpaces receipts (early 90s)?

Also:

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3084 on: December 07, 2010, 11:27:14 AM »
I think this tax cut deal is pretty good for all parties.  A 13 month extension of UI is incredibly generous, considering that Pelosi's legislation would have only done 3 months.  Coupled with the other tax deals in there, this thing could amount to another (wait for it...) stimulus.

Both parties got something and both parties gave up something.  I now have a sliver of hope in this country's ability to get some things accomplished.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3085 on: December 07, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 07, 2010, 10:55:05 AM

Eli's right... nice chart, RV.  But seriously, 10-year growth rates?  Talk about noise...

GDP and receipts will *never* grow at the same rate, because GDP is dependent on several factors including government spending, which we all know grew at a relatively slower rate in the late 1990s (hence the "Clinton Surpluses.")  That chart would be more relevant if you got rid of some of the lines and put in the top marginal tax rate so we could more directly see the interaction between tax rate, actual receipts, and GDP.

But what I showed above still remains the same.  No matter how hard the government tries the level of receipts as a percentage of GDP is remarkably consistent.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3086 on: December 08, 2010, 08:08:56 AM »
Luke Scott and and MikeC? SAME PERSON.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3087 on: December 08, 2010, 08:50:47 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 08, 2010, 08:08:56 AMLuke Scott and and MikeC? SAME PERSON.

Now we know why the Tards want Berkman. La Russa needs a buddy to go with him to Tea Party rallies.

QuoteDB: You must miss talking to Berkman.
LS: Lance? Lance is awesome. He's what I call "A fellow American." He's a good man.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3088 on: December 08, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »
Quote from: R-V on December 08, 2010, 08:50:47 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 08, 2010, 08:08:56 AMLuke Scott and and MikeC? SAME PERSON.

Now we know why the Tards want Berkman. La Russa needs a buddy to go with him to Tea Party rallies.

LS: Lance? Lance is awesome. He's what I call "A fellow American." He's a good man.

I'm shocked that rich, white, southern men feel this way.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3089 on: December 08, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 08, 2010, 09:02:49 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 08, 2010, 08:50:47 AM

I'm shocked that rich, white, southern men feel this way.

American = White
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck