News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,874 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #3660 on: March 10, 2011, 02:59:27 PM »
But should there be public financing of elections and I decide to invest my billions in a "media company" that prints and disseminate information slanted in favor of my candidates, would I be breaking the law?

Are you willing to throw people in jail for expressing their preference for a candidate?

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3661 on: March 10, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 10, 2011, 02:26:23 PM
Quote from: Bort on March 10, 2011, 02:21:28 PM
I went to school in SC and had an habitually absent father and I scored well above the national average on the SAT. But I only exist anecdotally.

In the abstract.

Also, @Teej, I thought you were discussing Walker, not Daniels.  Daniels certainly did run on ending public unions.  Walker's argument would carry more weight with me if he would say that he was getting ruid of the fire and police unions as well.  I guess that they four out of the 314 police and firefighter unions endorsed Walker while the other 300 endorsed the other guy worked.

I guess it doesn't take a lot buy him.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3662 on: March 10, 2011, 03:20:14 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on March 10, 2011, 03:00:22 PM
I went to school in SC and had an habitually absent father and I scored well above the national average on the SAT. But I only exist anecdotally.

In the abstract.

Also, @Teej, I thought you were discussing Walker, not Daniels.  Daniels certainly did run on ending public unions.  Walker's argument would carry more weight with me if he would say that he was getting ruid of the fire and police unions as well.  I guess that they four out of the 314 police and firefighter unions endorsed Walker while the other 300 endorsed the other guy worked.

Is this bad math or did the other ten throw their vote away on a third party?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3663 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
Quote from: Bort on March 10, 2011, 03:20:14 PM
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on March 10, 2011, 03:00:22 PM

In the abstract.

Is this bad math or did the other ten throw their vote away on a third party?

They voted "present".

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3664 on: March 10, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 10, 2011, 02:59:27 PM
But should there be public financing of elections and I decide to invest my billions in a "media company" that prints and disseminate information slanted in favor of my candidates, would I be breaking the law?

Are you willing to throw people in jail for expressing their preference for a candidate?

We don't have to throw them in jail. We could just say that all media moguls who spend over x dollars have to live in Indiana.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3665 on: March 10, 2011, 03:24:51 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 10, 2011, 03:24:10 PM

We don't have to throw them in jail. We could just say that all media moguls who spend over x dollars have to live in Indiana.

Pretty sure that's considered cruel and unusual punishment.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3666 on: March 10, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »
Quote from: Bort on March 10, 2011, 03:24:51 PM

THI
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3667 on: March 10, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »

Speaking of cruel and unusual, who's up for putting Peter King (the congressman, not the SI writer) in the firebarn? That guy is a vile piece of xenophobic dogshit.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3668 on: March 10, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 10, 2011, 02:34:27 PM
As for Daniels, ending collective bargaining in the public sector was the first thing he did as governor.

I believe I mentioned as far back as 2+ years ago that this guy is a guy in 2012 that I would be able to vote for.  Seems to have something lacking in most politicians: Integrity.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3669 on: March 10, 2011, 05:18:19 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 10, 2011, 03:42:52 PM
Quote from: Brownie on March 10, 2011, 02:34:27 PM
As for Daniels, ending collective bargaining in the public sector was the first thing he did as governor.

I believe I mentioned as far back as 2+ years ago that this guy is a guy in 2012 that I would be able to vote for.  Seems to have something lacking in most politicians: Integrity.

He wants to SERVE?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3670 on: March 10, 2011, 05:18:51 PM »
DPD
Quote from: R-V on March 10, 2011, 03:41:20 PM

Speaking of cruel and unusual, who's up for putting Peter King (the congressman, not the SI writer) in the firebarn? That guy is a vile piece of xenophobic dogshit.

We can stack him next to Snork and Carlos Silva.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #3671 on: March 10, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 10, 2011, 01:58:53 PM
Quote from: fiveouts on March 10, 2011, 01:36:59 PM

Most important thing you wrote and the single fact that everyone in a public position is afraid to discuss. 

Maybe the high profile people, but in public meetings I've attended and participated in, no one has shied away from stating that the single most correlating factor in academic achievement is if the student has married parents.

That's certainly socio-economic.

Its the central tenet to the manifesto sent out by Michelle Rhee and a collection of big-city superintendents that "As President Obama has emphasized, the single most important factor determining whether students succeed in school is not the color of their skin or their ZIP code or even their parents' income -- it is the quality of their teacher." 

At the policymaking level, no one is talking about socio-economics.  And it sucks.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3672 on: March 14, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »
Yikes. This cannot be good.

QuoteJapan faced the likelihood of a catastrophic nuclear accident Tuesday morning, as an explosion at the most crippled of three reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station damaged its crucial steel containment structure, emergency workers were withdrawn from the plant, and much larger emissions of radioactive materials appeared immiment, according to official statements and industry executives informed about the developments.

Japanese Prime Minsiter Naoto Kan made a televised address to the nation at 11 a.m. Tokyo time to discuss the latest developments in the crisis.

The sharp deterioration came after government officials said the containment structure of the No. 2 reactor, the most seriously damaged of three reactors at the Daichi plant, had suffered damage during an explosion shortly after 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

They initially suggested that the damage was limited and that emergency operations aimed at cooling the nuclear fuel at three stricken reactors with seawater would continue. But industry executives said that in fact the situation had spiraled out of control and that all plant workers needed to leave the plant to avoid excessive exposure to radioactive leaks.

If all workers do in fact leave the plant, the nuclear fuel in all three reactors is likely to melt down, which would lead to wholesale releases of radioactive material — by far the largest accident of its kind since the Chernobyl disaster 25 years ago.

Reports of an imminent worsening of the problem came after a frantic day and night of rescue efforts focused largely on the No. 2 reactor. There, a malfunctioning valve prevented workers from manually venting the containment vessel to release pressure and allow fresh seawater to be injected into it. That meant that the extraordinary remedy emergency workers have been using to keep the nuclear fuel from overheating no longer worked.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3673 on: March 14, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
Quote from: fiveouts on March 10, 2011, 07:00:06 PM

Most important thing you wrote and the single fact that everyone in a public position is afraid to discuss. 

Maybe the high profile people, but in public meetings I've attended and participated in, no one has shied away from stating that the single most correlating factor in academic achievement is if the student has married parents.

Its the central tenet to the manifesto sent out by Michelle Rhee and a collection of big-city superintendents that "As President Obama has emphasized, the single most important factor determining whether students succeed in school is not the color of their skin or their ZIP code or even their parents' income -- it is the quality of their teacher." 

At the policymaking level, no one is talking about socio-economics.  And it sucks.

Frankly, most of the big policy decisions are made by your local school board. They are talking about this.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #3674 on: March 15, 2011, 08:35:05 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 14, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
Quote from: fiveouts on March 10, 2011, 07:00:06 PM

Frankly, most of the big policy decisions are made by your local school board. They are talking about this.

As a resident of Chicago, I respectfully disagree.