News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,850 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #4830 on: May 17, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 17, 2012, 02:31:42 PM
Tom Ricketts just called his dad a racist:

Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts put out a statement, saying, "I repudiate any return to racially divisive issues in this year's presidential campaign or in any setting — like my father has."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120517/BLOGS02/120519836/ricketts-anti-obama-campaign-could-cripple-plan-to-rebuild-wrigley-rahm-reacts#ixzz1v9nWRAJO

I think what he's saying is like his father has decided not to use any of the stuff that everyone's so pissed off about because none of it is actually happening.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4831 on: May 17, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »

Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts put out a statement, saying, "I repudiate any return to racially divisive issues in this year's presidential campaign or in any setting — like my father has."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120517/BLOGS02/120519836/ricketts-anti-obama-campaign-could-cripple-plan-to-rebuild-wrigley-rahm-reacts#ixzz1v9nWRAJO

No, Chuck.

Quote11:45 a.m. update — The super PAC involved, known as the Ending Spending Action Fund, is out with a statement "on behalf of" Joe Ricketts.
The statement says that the Jeremiah Wright plan the Times wrote about was "merely a proposal — one of several submitted to the Ending Spending Action Fund by third-party vendors" — and that Mr. Ricketts "rejects" the "suggestion."
Adds the statement, "Mr. Ricketts intends to work hard to help elect a president this fall who shares his commitment to economic responsibility, but his efforts are and will continue to be focused entirely on questions of fiscal policy, not attacks that seek to divide us socially or culturally."

So that's a Joe Ricketts repudiation.
1:45 p.m. update — More damage control, and some highly negative reaction from Mayor Emanuel.
Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts put out a statement, saying, "I repudiate any return to racially divisive issues in this year's presidential campaign or in any setting — like my father has (repudiated this)."

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4832 on: May 17, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
That participle be dangling for sure (ll).

but as for this

Quote"We'll raze Wrigley Field, build a better park in Rosemont, next to your Blue Line and your airport but far from the clutches of your tax candy store, we'll turn the property at Clark and Addison into a parking lot, or just a fenced off vacant lot, make a fortune shipping artifacts from Wrigley Field out of some warehouse in Omaha, and continue our happy existence."

I'm sure Lakeview will thrive though as at least 75% of the businesses there owe their existence to our business being located there.

His Honor will answer (although the language will likely be saltier):

"You wanna go to Rosemont, go. Enjoy your 5,000 seat houses when the team isn't good.  As for Lakeview, while Wrigley may had led to Clark street becoming a Rush Street North, it isnt necessary for it to continue (and if you ever come by on a Saturday evening in December, you can see that for yourself).   Even if nightlife drops, the neigborhood has more tax value to us as the northern extension of Lincoln Park it already is, so it will gentrify futher and the bars and restaurnats will upscale. Getting rid of Wrigley just eliminates a traffic snarl that limits the neighborhood, and gets rid of a bunch of drunks."

But more likely, the Cubs will realize it needs Chicago to maximize its revenues, and Chicago will realize it can make some money with the Cubs, that 'its busines' and this will blow over.  The Rickettes are backpedaling so fast its astounding, and Da new Mayor has made no Cubs related threat. 
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4833 on: May 17, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »

I, for one, welcome the Ricketts family reviving the Wrigley family's traditions of occasional sabre-rattling to get something out of the city and delicious racism.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4834 on: May 17, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 17, 2012, 03:10:34 PM

I, for one, welcome the Ricketts family reviving the Wrigley family's traditions of occasional sabre-rattling to get something out of the city and delicious racism.

Explain the delicious racism part.

Also, there have been plenty of poorly-conceived, offensive, rejected ad campaigns. Is this an indictment of the company that rejected them?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4835 on: May 17, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 17, 2012, 02:32:41 PM

I think what he's saying is like his father has decided not to use any of the stuff that everyone's so pissed off about because none of it is actually happening.

Quote from: Brownie on May 17, 2012, 02:40:18 PM
No, Chuck.

Quote11:45 a.m. update — The super PAC involved, known as the Ending Spending Action Fund, is out with a statement "on behalf of" Joe Ricketts.
The statement says that the Jeremiah Wright plan the Times wrote about was "merely a proposal — one of several submitted to the Ending Spending Action Fund by third-party vendors" — and that Mr. Ricketts "rejects" the "suggestion."
Adds the statement, "Mr. Ricketts intends to work hard to help elect a president this fall who shares his commitment to economic responsibility, but his efforts are and will continue to be focused entirely on questions of fiscal policy, not attacks that seek to divide us socially or culturally."

So that's a Joe Ricketts repudiation.
1:45 p.m. update — More damage control, and some highly negative reaction from Mayor Emanuel.
Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts put out a statement, saying, "I repudiate any return to racially divisive issues in this year's presidential campaign or in any setting — like my father has (repudiated this)."

Chuck's ability to read what he wants to read even when what he's reading says the exact opposite is breathtaking.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4836 on: May 17, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 17, 2012, 03:34:41 PM

Also, there have been plenty of poorly-conceived, offensive, rejected ad campaigns. Is this an indictment of the company that rejected them?

I think the indictment comes from the quotes/opinions attributable to the racist elder Ricketts regarding McCain's nixing the Jeremiah Wright ads and the other racist shit the company produced in 2008 - Ricketts apparently believed that enough people would've bought it, that McCain would've won.

I'd get out the "that's racist" kid, but Tommy Boy doesn't even deserve that.  I'm sure his backpedaling from this is all about money and avoiding alienating a large part of his fan base (if he would've perpetrated this ad, I would've abandoned the team until the family sold), not any actual ability to either recognize blatant racism when he sees it...or belief that employing racism is wrong in achieving desired outcomes.

On the scale of Tom Ricketts and meth-addled Deadbird fans, I know who occupies the lower rung.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4837 on: May 17, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
...I... don't understand what's happening in this thread...
M'lady.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4838 on: May 17, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 17, 2012, 02:32:41 PM

No shit.  But just maybe Tom should have a good PR person making his statements. Or he should have spent less time in the bleachers and more time in his rhetoric class.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4839 on: May 17, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 17, 2012, 02:40:18 PM

It's far more fun to go with:

"I repudiate any return to racially divisive issues in this year's presidential campaign or in any setting — like my father has (returned to racially divisive issues)."

Tom just dangled his participle a little too much.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4840 on: May 17, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on May 17, 2012, 03:42:03 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 17, 2012, 03:34:41 PM

I think the indictment comes from the quotes/opinions attributable to the racist elder Ricketts regarding McCain's nixing the Jeremiah Wright ads and the other racist shit the company produced in 2008 - Ricketts apparently believed that enough people would've bought it, that McCain would've won.

I'd get out the "that's racist" kid, but Tommy Boy doesn't even deserve that.  I'm sure his backpedaling from this is all about money and avoiding alienating a large part of his fan base (if he would've perpetrated this ad, I would've abandoned the team until the family sold), not any actual ability to either recognize blatant racism when he sees it...or belief that employing racism is wrong in achieving desired outcomes.

On the scale of Tom Ricketts and meth-addled Deadbird fans, I know who occupies the lower rung.

Without having seen the ad of which Ricketts speaks (I only know that it uses Wright's "God Damn America blah blah blah" roll), I can't form an opinion on it. Have you seen it? Can you link to it? I need a little more context. I know McCain nixed various tactics, but that's not prima facie evidence of said tactics being racist. Reading the infamous document the NY Times is all hot and bothered about and the accompanying storyboards of what was proposed, it all struck me as being ineffective above anything else. The NY Times article also explicitly said that this was one of several proposals from various firms. Joe's spending some cash on this election. We'll see what tactics he uses.

Secondly, I am no defender of the Ricketts, as people might have figured out. But to brand Tom Ricketts or Joe Ricketts as a racist is a pretty incendiary charge.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4841 on: May 17, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
Onto other 2008 fringe campaign controversies.

Obama's literary agent is a birther, I guess.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4842 on: May 17, 2012, 05:49:03 PM »
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4843 on: May 17, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 17, 2012, 05:49:03 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 17, 2012, 05:13:47 PM

Wat?

That link doesn't seem to work anymore, if that's what you're asking about. If you're just asking about the stupidity of it, I understand that too.

Anyway, just in case: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/05/17/The-Vetting-Barack-Obama-Literary-Agent-1991-Born-in-Kenya-Raised-Indonesia-Hawaii

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4844 on: May 17, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 17, 2012, 06:10:27 PM
Quote from: PANK! on May 17, 2012, 05:49:03 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 17, 2012, 05:13:47 PM

Wat?

That link doesn't seem to work anymore, if that's what you're asking about. If you're just asking about the stupidity of it, I understand that too.

Anyway, just in case: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/05/17/The-Vetting-Barack-Obama-Literary-Agent-1991-Born-in-Kenya-Raised-Indonesia-Hawaii

From Gil's comments section:

QuoteTreason is a 'hangin' offense' and I will be DAMNED if they give this malignant liar and pretender a 'pass' . . . we have to insist that he be made to go to trial and pay the appropriate and ultimate penalty for his crimes . . . prison isn't enough for what this bastard has done to this nation! In 1991 he wasn't even thinking about running for President, so there was no reason to lie about his country of origin.  Hell, lets just tar and feather him and drive him and his butt-ugly wife out of the WH and then fumigate it for about a year!

I'd say it's just one crazy person's opinion but as of right now, 227 people "like" her comment.