News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,830 )

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #4905 on: June 28, 2012, 12:21:28 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 28, 2012, 12:20:11 PM
So, what happens now?

Gil spends the day JOing in the sbox.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4906 on: June 28, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on June 28, 2012, 12:21:28 PM
So, what happens now?

Gil spends the day JOing in the sbox.

But he was off by like 20-25 percent.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4907 on: June 28, 2012, 12:30:17 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 28, 2012, 12:14:20 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 28, 2012, 12:10:05 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 28, 2012, 12:08:19 PM
Quote from: thehawk on June 28, 2012, 11:53:50 AM

• He overturns the dormant commerce clause (in dicta but its pretty clear), which will serve as a major limitation on government action

Where? In striking down the Medicaid expansion?

Read page 23 of the majority.

I'm no law-talking guy, but I'm not seeing anything that levels with my limited understanding of the Dormant Commerce Clause (that limited understanding being that the Dormant Commerce Clause is about preventing states from horning in on interstate commerce).

QuoteEveryone will likely participate in the markets for food, clothing, transportation, shelter, or energy; that does not authorize Congress to direct them to purchase particular products in those or other markets today. The Commerce Clause is not a general license to regulate an individualfrom cradle to grave, simply because he will predictably engage in particular transactions. Any police power to regulate individuals as such, as opposed to their activities, remains vested in the States.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4908 on: June 28, 2012, 12:43:05 PM »
So, what happens now?

CANADA HERE WE COME!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4909 on: June 28, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »
So, what happens now?

Gil spends the day JOing in the sbox while congratulating himself for being one of only, like, 50 people in the WORLD who can read AND comprehend a Supreme Court opinion.

Fully douche chill'd

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4910 on: June 28, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »
Quote from: R-V on June 28, 2012, 02:01:50 PM
So, what happens now?

Gil spends the day JOing in the sbox while congratulating himself for being one of only, like, 50 people in the WORLD who can read AND comprehend a Supreme Court opinion.

Fully douche chill'd

I never said "...in the world..."

I'm sure there are some Mongolian yak-herders who take more than a passing interest in American constitutional jurisprudence.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4911 on: June 28, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 28, 2012, 02:05:05 PM
Quote from: R-V on June 28, 2012, 02:01:50 PM
So, what happens now?

Fully douche chill'd

I never said "...in the world..."

I'm sure there are some Mongolian yak-herders who take more than a passing interest in American constitutional jurisprudence.

Shit, Gil's secret is out. Sounds like Yale's constitutional scholar has been reading his Desipio today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/06/28/the-political-genius-of-john-roberts/

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4912 on: June 28, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
QuoteRep. Mike Pence (R-IN) reportedly compared the Supreme Court decision upholding President Obama's health care law to the September 11 attacks at a closed door GOP meeting on Thursday.

Wow.

EDIT: He's since apologized.  http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2012/06/pence-likens-health-care-ruling-to-127628.html#.T-yk4sxlh6w.twitter

DOUBLE EDIT:  Here's GOP Rep. Jack Kingston:
QuoteWith #Obamacare ruling, I feel like I just lost two great friends: America and Justice Roberts.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4913 on: June 28, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 28, 2012, 02:30:11 PM
QuoteRep. Mike Pence (R-IN) reportedly compared the Supreme Court decision upholding President Obama's health care law to the September 11 attacks at a closed door GOP meeting on Thursday.

Wow.

EDIT: He's since apologized.  http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2012/06/pence-likens-health-care-ruling-to-127628.html#.T-yk4sxlh6w.twitter

DOUBLE EDIT:  Here's GOP Rep. Jack Kingston:
QuoteWith #Obamacare ruling, I feel like I just lost two great friends: America and Justice Roberts.

"Hey, sorry guys. I didn't mean to say that the Obamacare ruling was just like 9/11 really loudly and a few times defiantly while pounding my desk. I must have misspoke. I didn't mean that at all."

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4914 on: June 28, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 28, 2012, 10:51:49 AM
So... what part of your life can Congress not regulate through onerous taxes?

Roberts' ruling isn't outlandish, but he's not exactly saying it's good policy.

Roberts opinion might as well have been written by the RNC:

• He overturns the dormant commerce clause (in dicta but its pretty clear), which will serve as a major limitation on government action
  • but he doesn't overturn the individual mandate [which would have energized the Obama base], allowing it to stand under the power to tax [so now the ACA is purely a 'tax increase']

quite ingenious really

I was sort of leaning in Barry's direction when I said "Roberts' ruling isn't outlandish" in that it seems rooted in logic. The government has rather broad taxing power, and this ruling only energizes those who would like to make sweeping changes to tax law in this country.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4915 on: June 28, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »
In other SCOTUS news, meatball hero Brian Dennehy will sleep a bit more soundly tonight (PDF).
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4916 on: June 28, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 28, 2012, 02:37:40 PM

• but he doesn't overturn the individual mandate [which would have energized the Obama base], allowing it to stand under the power to tax [so now the ACA is purely a 'tax increase']

quite ingenious really

I was sort of leaning in Barry's direction when I said "Roberts' ruling isn't outlandish" in that it seems rooted in logic. The government has rather broad taxing power, and this ruling only energizes those who would like to make sweeping changes to tax law in this country.

His ruling may not be outlandish, but it is quite radical.  I am trying to figure out if the Civil Rights Act would be considered constitutional by Roberts, as it was based on the fact that discrimation as to the use of public conveyances and enterprises would depress interstate commerce.  It is an obligation to serve anyone regardless of race, religion etc.  My con law is a bit rusty however.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4917 on: June 28, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on June 28, 2012, 05:48:41 PM

quite ingenious really

His ruling may not be outlandish, but it is quite radical.  I am trying to figure out if the Civil Rights Act would be considered constitutional by Roberts, as it was based on the fact that discrimation as to the use of public conveyances and enterprises would depress interstate commerce.  It is an obligation to serve anyone regardless of race, religion etc.  My con law is a bit rusty however.

Roberts appears to view it favorably:

QuoteThe proposition that Congress may dictate the conduct of an individual today because of prophesied future activity finds no support in our precedent. We have said that Congress can anticipate the effects on commerce of an economic activity. See, e.g., Consolidated Edison Co. v. NLRB, 305 U. S. 197 (1938) (regulating the labor practices of utility companies); Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States, 379 U. S. 241 (1964) (prohibiting discrimination by hotel operators); Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U. S. 294 (1964) (prohibiting discrimination by restaurant owners). But we have never permitted Congress to anticipate that activity itself in order to regulate individuals not currently engaged in commerce.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4918 on: June 29, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 28, 2012, 06:17:13 PM
Quote from: thehawk on June 28, 2012, 05:48:41 PM

quite ingenious really

Roberts appears to view it favorably:

QuoteThe proposition that Congress may dictate the conduct of an individual today because of prophesied future activity finds no support in our precedent. We have said that Congress can anticipate the effects on commerce of an economic activity. See, e.g., Consolidated Edison Co. v. NLRB, 305 U. S. 197 (1938) (regulating the labor practices of utility companies); Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States, 379 U. S. 241 (1964) (prohibiting discrimination by hotel operators); Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U. S. 294 (1964) (prohibiting discrimination by restaurant owners). But we have never permitted Congress to anticipate that activity itself in order to regulate individuals not currently engaged in commerce.

Nice to see, I guess (I haven't read the case yet).  Still am wondering that, if decided today, whether the Court would determine that a failure to sell a hotel room to someone is an economic activity effecting commerce or a regulation where  someone who fails to take the requested action that would lead to prophesied future activity.  I just don't see a lot of distinction in that distinction, but I don't wear a black robe for a living either.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4919 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:50 AM »