News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2015 Coin Flip Game Thread  ( 15,339 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2015 Coin Flip Game Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the 2003 game 6 prolapse was at least in part due to the palpable sense of panic that washed over the crowd at Wrigley.  On the other hand, Cueto.  So, you know... home field advantage is really neither here nor there.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 06, 2015, 01:45:48 PM
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the 2003 game 6 prolapse was at least in part due to the palpable sense of panic that washed over the crowd at Wrigley.  On the other hand, Cueto.  So, you know... home field advantage is really neither here nor there.

This. If you subscribe to the power of the crowd, that can cut both ways. Pittsburgh already feels like the team with the most to lose here, given that this is their third crack at it and INSERT FORK LIKE STATEMENT REGARDING CUBS FUTURE, and they're up against the wall with Jake. If the Cubs take an early lead and DOOM starts to set in, that crowd could easily work against the Pirates as much as it does the Cubs.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2015, 01:54:32 PM

This. If you subscribe to the power of the crowd, that can cut both ways. Pittsburgh already feels like the team with the most to lose here, given that this is their third crack at it and INSERT FORK LIKE STATEMENT REGARDING CUBS FUTURE, and they're up against the wall with Jake. If the Cubs take an early lead and DOOM starts to set in, that crowd could easily work against the Pirates as much as it does the Cubs.

At least they can all go get some Primanti Bros. though.

There's one right in PNC.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2015, 01:54:32 PM

Considering Jake's doing all he can to walk out to a crescendo of boos, and that he seems to be basking in it all, I think the building's already been turned.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2015, 03:37:33 PM »
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the 2003 game 6 prolapse was at least in part due to the palpable sense of panic that washed over the crowd at Wrigley. On the other hand, Cueto.  So, you know... home field advantage is really neither here nor there.

I agree with this somewhat.

I just watched it again the other day - it automatically popped up after I watched a totally different Cubs moment on YouTube so what the fuck. After the Alou tantrum, the catcher and infielders huddled on the mound (Dusty was MIA natch along with Rothschild who looked like he'd swallowed a dead rat the entire inning) to speak with Prior, who promptly uncorked his worst pitch of the game. Ball four to Castillo was a slider that Shawon Dunston would have spit on, which bounced back to the bricks allowing Pierre to take third. Did the crowd and the sense of absolute dread cause Mark Prior to do that? Possibly. He looked rattled, whereas before he was cool as a cucumber. But he still got the bouncer to short that... well, fuck you know what happened.

Was Alex Gonzales so terrified that he couldn't corral that high hopper for a tailor-made twin killing? If so, fuck that guy so hard in his face that he ends up looking like the other Alex Gonzalez. God damn him either way.

Everything that happened afterward and the next day was just the Marlins kicking their ass all over the yard. Sense of dread or no.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 06, 2015, 03:37:33 PM
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that the 2003 game 6 prolapse was at least in part due to the palpable sense of panic that washed over the crowd at Wrigley. On the other hand, Cueto.  So, you know... home field advantage is really neither here nor there.

I agree with this somewhat.

I just watched it again the other day - it automatically popped up after I watched a totally different Cubs moment on YouTube so what the fuck. After the Alou tantrum, the catcher and infielders huddled on the mound to speak with Prior (Dusty was MIA natch along with Rothschild who looked like he'd swallowed a dead rat the entire inning) who promptly uncorked his worst pitch of the game. Ball four to Castillo was a slider that Shawon Dunston would have spit on, which bounced back to the bricks allowing Pierre to take third. Did the crowd and the sense of absolute dread cause Mark Prior to do that? Possibly. He looked rattled, whereas before he was cool as a cucumber. But he still got the bouncer to short that... well, fuck you know what happened.

Was Alex Gonzales so terrified that he couldn't corral that high hopper for a tailor-made twin killing? If so, fuck that guy so hard in his face that he ends up looking like the other Alex Gonzalez. God damn him either way.

Everything that happened afterward and the next day was just the Marlins kicking their ass all over the yard. Sense of dread or no.

I too, watched the inning again for the first time since it actually happened thanks to youtube prompting me to watch it after positive Cubs highlights, and man, does Dusty just sitting on his fucking hands drive me insane.

Dusty's defenders always say his ability to manage the clubhouse (the 2004 Cubs beg to differ) and big personalities and motivate guys makes up for his tactical blunders and the destruction of young arms. Then why the fuck DIDN'T HE TRY TO GO TALK TO ANY OF THEM AND MOTIVATE THEM.

Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference, but I'll never not be mad at him for just flat out not managing that inning.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »
The order of blame I place on that meltdown.

1. Gonzalez (fuck him)
2. Dusty (get your ass out there and settle your pitcher down or send your pitching coach to do the same)
3. Farnsworth (thanks, dick)
4. Alou (calm the fuck down or lay off the greenies)
5. The rest of the bullpen (which was probably no more use than Farnsworth and might well have trashed that game one inning later)

1,080. Steve Bartman and the assclowns around him who reached for that foul pop.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 06, 2015, 03:47:41 PM

1. Gonzalez (fuck him)
2. Dusty (get your ass out there and settle your pitcher down or send your pitching coach to do the same)
5. The rest of the bullpen (which was probably no more use than Farnsworth and might well have trashed that game one inning later)

1,080. Steve Bartman and the assclowns around him who reached for that foul pop.

I also watched it at YouTube's prompting yesterday. I wonder if the guy in the grey shirt/jacket two seats away from Bartman has properly counted his blessings. Because one extra inch of wingspan and he would've lived a very different life.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2015, 05:58:46 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 06, 2015, 05:51:18 PM

1. Gonzalez (fuck him)

I also watched it at YouTube's prompting yesterday. I wonder if the guy in the grey shirt/jacket two seats away from Bartman has properly counted his blessings. Because one extra inch of wingspan and he would've lived a very different life.

I doubt he would've handled it as well as Bartman has. Bartman has gone out of his way to, well, stay out of the way.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2015, 06:09:31 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 06, 2015, 05:58:46 PM

1. Gonzalez (fuck him)

I doubt he would've handled it as well as Bartman has. Bartman has gone out of his way to, well, stay out of the way.

Oh sure.  Now he gets out of the way.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 06, 2015, 06:09:31 PM

1. Gonzalez (fuck him)

Oh sure.  Now he gets out of the way.

I laughed. Back to your regularly scheduled 2003 reminiscing (wtf, guys).
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2015, 07:00:06 PM »
Is it fucking Wednesday yet?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2015, 07:04:05 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 06, 2015, 07:00:06 PM
Is it fucking Wednesday yet?

It is in Australia.
M'lady.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 06, 2015, 06:19:45 PM
Quote from: PANK! on October 06, 2015, 06:09:31 PM

1. Gonzalez (fuck him)

Oh sure.  Now he gets out of the way.

I laughed. Back to your regularly scheduled 2003 reminiscing (wtf, guys).

I bet that the number of times there has been an extended conversation about game 6 on this message board since the fringe came into existence averages once every three months, if not more.

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2015, 08:43:51 PM »
Hopefully these guys continue on their second half tear and win the whole fucking thing and we can all forget about that terrible end to '03.