News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Getting The Bandstink Back Together—Blackhawks 2013-?? Dynastink Thread  ( 29,012 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Getting The Bandstink Back Together—Blackhawks 2013-?? Dynastink Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:12 AM »
Quote from: CT III on September 03, 2013, 08:35:55 AM
Quote from: BH on September 03, 2013, 08:34:24 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 02, 2013, 10:54:12 AM
Fucking right, Chicago. Fucking worked his nuts off for this contract.

QuoteCorey Crawford's incredible year has been capped off with the announcement that that Chicago Blackhawks goaltender agreed to a six-year contract extension Monday.

... The deal reportedly is worth $36 million, which would mean an annual salary-cap hit of $6 million.

$6MM. Oh, my.

I went to hockeenight to get their analysis on this trade...

And to learn the difference between a trade and a contract extension?

Guess they don't teach you that at your fancy rotoworld site.

Sick burn. Toast.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »

QuoteCorey Crawford's incredible year has been capped off with the announcement that that Chicago Blackhawks goaltender agreed to a six-year contract extension Monday.

... The deal reportedly is worth $36 million, which would mean an annual salary-cap hit of $6 million.

$6MM. Oh, my.

CT already corrected you on the trade/extension thing, but it's a decent signing. $6MM/per for 6 years  is right in the ballpark with guys like Jimmy Howard, Kari Lehtonen, Carey Price, Mike Smith, Cam Ward and Tuukka Rask. Plus, it gives the Hawks stability in net that they haven's had since they had Ed Belfour. He's still only 28, and has a Jennings Trophy, a Stanley Cup, and will probably have an Olympic medal by season's end.

So naturally Blackhawks fans are losing their collective shit over this.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 03, 2013, 09:02:13 AM

$6MM. Oh, my.

CT already corrected you on the trade/extension thing, but it's a decent signing. $6MM/per for 6 years  is right in the ballpark with guys like Jimmy Howard, Kari Lehtonen, Carey Price, Mike Smith, Cam Ward and Tuukka Rask. Plus, it gives the Hawks stability in net that they haven's had since they had Ed Belfour. He's still only 28, and has a Jennings Trophy, a Stanley Cup, and will probably have an Olympic medal by season's end.

It's not the dollars, it's the years.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 11:07:48 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 03, 2013, 10:15:53 AM

$6MM. Oh, my.

In order to get Crawford to sign for those dollars now (as opposed to waiting to see what happens this year, when the Hawks will have to have a lot go wrong to not at least get back to the Western Conference Final) , they had to give the years.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »

$6MM. Oh, my.

So, do we have six years of FYCs each time Crawford gets a shutout?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 03, 2013, 11:57:09 AM

$6MM. Oh, my.

And every time Hossa scores a goal.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 03, 2013, 12:22:41 PM
Quote from: Brownie on September 03, 2013, 11:57:09 AM

$6MM. Oh, my.

And every time Hossa scores a goal.

Fortunately for Chuck, Stan Bowman has a history of giving out long term deals that have bitten the Hawks in the ass.
TIME TO POST!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »
DPD.

Niklas Hjalmarsson signed an extension for 5 years, with a cap hit of $600K more than his current one. I think this might be the best contract Stan Bowman has given out.

So now I'll hang up and wait for Chuck to tell me how awful it is.
TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2013, 10:16:54 AM
DPD.

Niklas Hjalmarsson signed an extension for 5 years, with a cap hit of $600K more than his current one. I think this might be the best contract Stan Bowman has given out.

It's not the krona, it's the years.
Seriously, I don't understand - or care to learn - about the NHL salary cap to know if any of these are good or bad deals

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 04, 2013, 10:21:48 AM
DPD.

Seriously, I don't understand - or care to learn - about the NHL salary cap to know if any of these are good or bad deals

"I just want to make half-cocked comments without bothering to learn the nuance or the idiosyncrasies of the thing I'm criticizing.

WHAT'S SO WRONG WITH THAT!?!?!?!"
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 04, 2013, 10:33:10 AM
DPD.

"I just want to make half-cocked comments without bothering to learn the nuance or the idiosyncrasies of the thing I'm criticizing.

WHAT'S SO WRONG WITH THAT!?!?!?!"
There's criticism and then there's what you all expect me to do.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 10:45:45 AM »
DPD.

Operating under the assumption that everyone here knows how a salary cap works, the NHL is seeing a huge rise in hockey related revenue, thanks to TV ratings that would still make any NBA official cut his wrists, but still better than anything the NHL has done. Plus, the 6 outdoor games this year (with, of course, special jerseysavailable for sale), and the Olympics giving hockey a boost in popularity means the cap will take a pretty big jump. In fact most forecasts are predicting it will go up to around $80 million from its current $64.3 million over the next 5 years. Plus the Phoenix out clause (they can relocate if when they lose $50 million in 5 years) means another nice bump.

The fact that Stan Bowman essentially held the line on Hjalmarsson means the only complaint anyone can have is that they have a goalie who is signed until he's 35 or a defenseman who is signed until he's 32.
TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2013, 10:45:45 AM
The fact that Stan Bowman essentially held the line on means the only complaint anyone can have is that they have a goalie who is signed until he's 35 or a defenseman who is signed until he's 32.
My only question would be on how Hossa's contract fits into this.  There are some cap effects that happen if he retires / quits before the end of his contract that I don't fully understand other than that the costs are high.  It certainly appears that Hjalmarsson's contract being low helps cushion the (probable) Hossa costs.  Scott and Stan know what they are doing.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 04, 2013, 10:58:45 AM
The fact that Stan Bowman essentially held the line on means the only complaint anyone can have is that they have a goalie who is signed until he's 35 or a defenseman who is signed until he's 32.
My only question would be on how Hossa's contract fits into this.  There are some cap effects that happen if he retires / quits before the end of his contract that I don't fully understand other than that the costs are high.  It certainly appears that Hjalmarsson's contract being low helps cushion the (probable) Hossa costs.  Scott and Stan know what they are doing.

The quick & dirty way to circumvent the salary cap with Hossa is to just place him on Long Term Injured Reserve once training camp opens, that way his salary doesn't count against the Cap. He just can't officially retire until his contract runs out. This is what Philadelphia is doing with Chris Pronger and what Boston is doing with Marc Savard.
TIME TO POST!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2013, 11:12:52 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 04, 2013, 10:58:45 AM

The quick & dirty way to circumvent the salary cap with Hossa is to just place him on Long Term Injured Reserve once training camp opens, that way his salary doesn't count against the Cap. He just can't officially retire until his contract runs out. This is what Philadelphia is doing with Chris Pronger and what Boston is doing with Marc Savard.

So is Hossa glue then? Fuck.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.